PDA

View Full Version : Using Detonation Film Effects in VT[3]?

Mooky-the-White
06-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Hey, I have been trying to recreate this video with VT[3] and Aura VT but I cant seem to achieve the same effect with these clips I have received from detonation films. I need these effects in my new upcoming film. How would you achieve these options in Toaster/Aura? I'm sure they are there just not named the same.

Here is the video I am trying to simulate:

Detonation films (video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-7482243485919410471)

SBowie
06-13-2007, 07:29 AM
It's awhile since I used either VT[3] or Aura, but it would be fairly simple to do this. I'd prefer to do it in realtime for instance feedback, so VT[3] would be my choice.

VT[3] doesn't have transfer modes such as Multiply, however, so it depends how faithful you want to be to the tutorial. If you need to mimic the process (as opposed to the result) by step, use Aura - but I think you can get a good looking result in VT[3].

I gather the source 'blast' is comped over a white bg, so basically this is a lumakey. A carefully tweaked lumakey would not remove the color as it does in the demo, so you could probably drop a few steps (in VT[4], you could simply modify the color using the color correction tools in the Control Tree at the same time as doing the key.)

Adding the shadow would be a simple Positioner 'flip and squash' operation on a copy of the blast clip. Opacity and Brightness adjustments to tweak it to look like a shadow. I don't think VT[3] had clip level blur, so you might need to blur the copy and then render it with alpha.

Here's a quick and dirty facsimile done on the timeline in VT[4]:

Rich Deustachio
06-15-2007, 11:29 AM
All of the steps can be reproduced in VT3 edit except the distort. That part you will need to take into Aura.