PDA

View Full Version : 2 frames overlapping during live switch!!

m.d.
06-11-2007, 09:31 PM
shooting live in studio and probably once every 20 switches I'll get 2 video frames overlapping each other, one from the first camera one from the second.

very frustrating and embarrasing, i'll have to edit everything i've been shooting so far.

what could cause this?
would genlocking help?

3 camera shoot, bnc composite in, recording to raid striped 2X500 gig drives
no ddr's rolling during the flash frame screwups...just a straight switch.

please...any advice would be great

m.d.
06-13-2007, 07:27 PM
flash frames getting worse..
on every switch including camera to ddr...

a new toaster card is on it's way, hopefully solve the problem

ottis41
06-18-2007, 10:45 AM
What version of the Toaster are you using? Are you going in Comp-SVideo or Component. Are you mixing iVga?
if you check you processes, how many do you have running? and what is the highest in your RAM.
I am gettting ready to do a big live switch again, i have not had that problem befor, butr would like to avoid it.

Keith Gandy
06-20-2007, 10:05 PM
We can produce a flash when switching: If we do not have the camera to which we cut/switch is not in the preview mode. In other words, if we cut to a camera via the F1-F8 numbers and that camera is not in the preview on the switcher, then we get a glitch due to the genlock needing to grab that frame and synchronize.

Do you have the items to be switched on main and preview before switching/cutting?

SBowie
06-21-2007, 06:52 AM
Do you have the items to be switched on main and preview before switching/cutting?If you mean, does the item your Take/Auto to need to be on Preview beforehand for a clean switch, the answer is yes.

m.d.
06-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Figured out the problem....

recording in DVCPro 50, for whatever reason the codec was recorded interlaced(as was intended) but the flag in the AVI header was set to Progressive, so it always played back as progressive....even though it was interlaced material.

This was the matrox DVCPro 50 codec, not sure if this is there fault or Newtek's

SBowie
06-21-2007, 02:04 PM
I must have missed something. When did this thread stop being about a flash while live switching?

m.d.
06-21-2007, 06:29 PM
the flash only happened when switching from cameras to camera,
as the interlaced frame of 2 overlapping fields (from different camera's) was displayed as progressive during playback, caused a flash frame....when playing back a live switch.

Everybody, including Newtek support thought it was a hardware issue, turns out it was a flag in the AVI file set to progressive not interlaced.....I just thought I would set the record straight since if anyone tries recording interlaced to the Matrox DVCPro 50 codec they will get the same result.