PDA

View Full Version : Scaling a Panorama to proper scale?

bgolden
06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
I stitched a series of images together and applied to a cylinder that surrounds my scene. The problem is that the trees are 2 to 3 times too big in the pano. I've tried different ideas with scaling but one of the problems is that with cylindrical mapping, you can scale on the 'Y' only.

Scaling the cylinder down too much and it won't emcompass the scene. Hmmm. How do they do it in Hollywood? LOL

Has anyone else come up against this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Bytehawk
06-11-2007, 03:24 PM
scale the texture in Y only ?

starbase1
06-12-2007, 03:45 AM
Sounds like you were too close to the trees in the original shots.

Your options are limited:
Scale up the objects in the scene to match the trees.
Move your cylinder off centre and further from the camera, hope the distortion is not too bad.
Use a wider angle camera and hope the distortion is not too bad.

bgolden
06-12-2007, 07:00 PM
Thanks guys. This one is a little tricky to pull off and be convincing. It's a good point as to the location of the photographer when the shots are first taken. I usually set up a tripod and take a series of pix then stitch them together with something like PTGui which works great for creating a wrap-around image.

wellsichris
06-12-2007, 08:51 PM
you know you can tell it how many times to wrap around? that's basically changeing its scale on the x axis. so if you tell it to wrap 2 times it will be half the size on the x. but you only have half the space.

hope that helps
chris