PDA

View Full Version : Apple updates their website, previews Leopard

Matt
06-11-2007, 01:09 PM
New OS, new website! Nice!

http://www.apple.com

Leopard
OMG! Some freaking cool stuff in there, check out the demos, Vista looks out of date already!!!

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features

Makes me want a Mac again! :D

Matt
06-11-2007, 01:14 PM
Wow! Safari for Windows now too!!!!!!!!!

mattclary
06-11-2007, 01:17 PM
I'd consider buying a Mac if it didn't mean I would then become a Mac user. ;)

I'd really like to run OS X, if I could build the machine myself.

Lightwolf
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
Leopard
OMG! Some freaking cool stuff in there, check out the demos, Vista looks out of date already!!!

Which parts precisely? The only innovative stuff I see is the TimeMachine GUI (since XP has the same functionality already, but no GUI), QuickLook looks neat (then again, QT just crashed again here...), Spaces is old stuff and the Finder still doesn't allow you to directly enter or alter a path (which is something I really miss on my Mac and something MS did extremely right in Vista, almost tempts me to get it).
Finally going native 64bit is great though, but I'm not looking forward to receiving even more out of spec HTML infested e-mail to be honest ;)
I also do wonder if automator now handles multiple files properly...

Oh well, wait and see...

Cheers,
Mike

ingo
06-11-2007, 01:27 PM
I'd consider buying a Mac if it didn't mean I would then become a Mac user. ;)

I'd really like to run OS X, if I could build the machine myself.

No problem, ask your dealer if he could disassemble the Mac for you before you get it .

If your using windows on your Mac are you a Windows user or a Mac user ? Since Leopard looks like a cheap copy from Vista i can use the original via bootcamp on the Mac, much better me thinks ;)

Matt
06-11-2007, 01:35 PM
Which parts precisely? The only innovative stuff I see is the TimeMachine GUI (since XP has the same functionality already, but no GUI), QuickLook looks neat (then again, QT just crashed again here...), Spaces is old stuff and the Finder still doesn't allow you to directly enter or alter a path (which is something I really miss on my Mac and something MS did extremely right in Vista, almost tempts me to get it).
Finally going native 64bit is great though, but I'm not looking forward to receiving even more out of spec HTML infested e-mail to be honest ;)
I also do wonder if automator now handles multiple files properly...

Oh well, wait and see...

Cheers,
Mike

Mike, you're hard to please aren't you! It's not so much brand, new, never before seen stuff, but it's the WAY they do it, sooooo much cooler, nicer and easier to use than, quite frankly anyone on the planet!!!

ingo
06-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Man, you are easy to please ;) To satisfy Mike Apple has to port the Norton Commander on the Mac :D

Lightwolf
06-11-2007, 01:42 PM
Mike, you're hard to please aren't you! It's not so much brand, new, never before seen stuff, but it's the WAY they do it, sooooo much cooler, nicer and easier to use than, quite frankly anyone on the planet!!!
I am... because frankly, half of their stuff is really nice, and the other half sucks (Finder being the prime example).
So basically, it is the same as Vista, just different, if you know what I mean.

Then again, for me the most effective UI on OSX is more and more the Terminal, but I'm probably not the 80% of users they shoot for. On the other hand, for total newbies, the user experience is no different than using windows for the first time - just as confusing.

To sum it up, some nice stuff, some not so nice stuff - but no reason to hype it.

Maybe I'm just to dry and spend way too much time with these boxes ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Lightwolf
06-11-2007, 01:44 PM
Man, you are easy to please ;) To satisfy Mike Apple has to port the Norton Commander on the Mac :D
Yuck... at least make it Dopus (which I think is overkill). Well, a simple way in the finder to directly type in and _edit_ any path (like, the one you're seing at the moment) would be a good start.

NC I never liked... and I actually think there is a poort of MidnightCommander anyhow.... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

parm
06-11-2007, 02:24 PM
IMaybe I'm just to dry and spend way too much time with these boxes ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Lol.

Yep, that'll be it. The Terminal indeed :)

Looks amazing. New Laptop I think, when it comes out.

Matt
06-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Oh I'm not saying it's perfect, there are things in both Windows and OS X that the other doesn't have. Sometimes the Mac can be over-protective which I find annoying. But I love their attention to detail.

:D

ingo
06-12-2007, 02:33 AM
Hmmm, attention to detail, when i look at the Finder i think that is exactly what i miss there. Working in Mac OS 9 is still much faster and much easier because of that attention to detail.

Elmar Moelzer
06-12-2007, 02:39 AM
Their videos crash both Firefox and IE here...
Not very encouraging...
CU
Elmar

Lightwolf
06-12-2007, 03:07 AM
Not very encouraging...
CU
Elmar
So I'm not the only one. Latest QT, they crahs Opera and Safari3 beta on windows as well.

Must be a QT problem (they work on a Mac).

Cheers,
Mike

Phil
06-12-2007, 03:21 AM
Hmm. I just right clicked and downloaded them to the desktop for viewing in Windows on the MBP (Boot Camp + Parallels + VMWare Fusion makes MacDrive very, very unhappy for some reason, so it was reinstall time for Windows).

hrgiger
06-12-2007, 03:42 AM
They removed the Quicktime link from the mainpage. Now you have to dig for it. And for some of us, we don't need much else from apple.:thumbsdow

Lightwolf
06-12-2007, 03:48 AM
Now you have to dig for it.
quicktime.apple.com :D

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
06-12-2007, 03:59 AM
Not very encouraging...
CU
Elmar

I had that problem, solved it here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=951871&start=15&tstart=0

Doesn't crash anymore.

Matt
06-12-2007, 04:03 AM
From thread above:

"Try going into the advanced tab under preferences (in quicktime) and selecting Safe Mode (GDI only). That seems to have fixed the problem for me, whereas rolling back to 7.1.5 didn't.

It did seem to me that it might be Nivida-related, since graphics card vendors write the DirectX drivers which are used for video. But if you're using ATI of course its contrary to that theory."

"Just been testing, if you really need to use DirectX, you only need to turn off "Enable DirectDraw Acceleration" to stop FireFox crashing."

"Finally solved the problem.

Here is a step-by-step guide:

1. Go to Tools > Settings...

2. Choose the content menu (the one with the globe)

3. In the bottom you will see a area called "file types". There is an "edit" button to the right. Click on it

4. Now you will see a whole bunch of file exentions (MOV, WMA, MP3 etc.) Look for the MOV -file (quicktime movie file extension) and then click on it.

5. When it's marked, click on the "edit"-button

6. Another window will open. In this window the Quicktime 7.1.6 plugin is choosen as default. Deselect by choosing quicktime player on the top of the window instead. It says something like "open with the standard program" or something. Press OK and now you should be able to watch quicktime movies in firefox without crashes"

oDDity
06-12-2007, 07:22 AM
I know you can get an app to emulate OSX as a virtual OS in windows, but it's a slow as hell, but why don't Apple actually release Jaguar or the new one for the PC?
I presume there must be some terrific technical hurdles?
I'm sure a lot of people would use it, becasue they like the customisation of their hardware, but also don't like windows.

hrgiger
06-12-2007, 07:38 AM
quicktime.apple.com :D

Cheers,
Mike

I'll take your word for it and bookmark it. I wouldn't have any other reason to go there or stumble across it.

bobakabob
06-12-2007, 07:55 AM
why don't Apple actually release Jaguar or the new one for the PC?

Too risky? They tried it before by licensing the OS to Apple clone manufacturers. The problem was it severely dented the sales of Apple's own hardware.

Lightwolf
06-12-2007, 08:04 AM
Too risky? They tried it before by licensing the OS to Apple clone manufacturers. The problem was it severely dented the sales of Apple's own hardware.
Not surprising really. Too bad they don't have an hardware to compete with 80-90% of all PCs... a nice mid-range system between the puny iMac (which uses laptop tech) and the MacPro (which uses workstation tech).
PCIe, a few drives, quad core, 8GB Ram...

Cheers,
Mike

Red_Oddity
06-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I know you can get an app to emulate OSX as a virtual OS in windows, but it's a slow as hell, but why don't Apple actually release Jaguar or the new one for the PC?
I'm sure a lot of people would use it, becasue they like the customisation of their hardware, but also don't like windows.

They probably won't do a PC version as it would show that it's just as prone to crash and burn as Windows when you throw in a couple of billion possible hardware configurations.

On side note, you gotta give the folks at Apple points for making such sleek presentations, and the OS and provided tools points for being consistent.

jasonwestmas
06-12-2007, 12:31 PM
New OS, new website! Nice!

http://www.apple.com

Leopard

http://www.apple.com/macosx/leopard/features

Makes me want a Mac again! :D

The silly thing is still in:beta: I want it, hand it over apple!

Jim_C
06-12-2007, 12:33 PM
Well fwiw,(probably not much) you can now have Safari on a PC.
http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

I gave it a shot and my menus were blank , so I uninstalled. But I do dig Safari on my Mac.

jasonwestmas
06-12-2007, 12:33 PM

I'd be all over that in a heartbeat! I'd even pay 200+ bucks for it.

Phil
06-12-2007, 12:46 PM
There is no legit route to get OS X on a commodity box. Your alternatives are :

PearPC
OSx86

You'll need a mighty machine to run PearPC because you'll be running a PowerPC emulator under OSX.

For OSx86, you'll need to run a modified kernel and other hacks around a 10.4.x OS X install. For this, you'll need a CPU with at least SSE2 (shouldn't be a problem for most). This probably breaks various license terms - I've not looked at it personally.

I tried PearPC back in the day and it was hopeless. By the time I had a machine with SSE2 in hand, it was a Mac anyway :D

meatycheesyboy
06-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Well fwiw,(probably not much) you can now have Safari on a PC.
http://www.apple.com/safari/download/

I gave it a shot and my menus were blank , so I uninstalled. But I do dig Safari on my Mac.

I have the same problem with blank menus. Another guy in my office just installed it and it worked great for him. I'm not sure what the difference is between our two systems.

Matt
06-12-2007, 02:04 PM
worked for me

Verlon
06-12-2007, 11:46 PM
I'd like to be able to switch. I really would.

I still see too many posts "Is there a Mac Version in the works?" or "When will the Mac Version be available?" Or "We'll look into a Mac version if there is demand for it..."

EA doing simultaneous release is good...just need more people doing that.

Weepul
06-13-2007, 03:37 AM
I'd like to be able to switch. I really would.

I still see too many posts "Is there a Mac Version in the works?" or "When will the Mac Version be available?" Or "We'll look into a Mac version if there is demand for it..."
Well, that's not going to improve things any, is it? ;)

Lightwolf
06-13-2007, 03:39 AM
Hehe... as in "come over to the bright side and join the suffering" ? ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Kuzey
06-13-2007, 06:09 AM
I think Mike is having too much fun....I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not :hey:

Well, you could always run xp or vista to use those plugins and then have a very long shower to get the smell of bill gates off you :hey: :hey:

Kuzey

Lightwolf
06-13-2007, 06:11 AM
I think Mike is having too much fun....I'm not sure if it's a good thing or not :hey:
How can you ever have too much fun? :D Bring it on, there should be more, free fun for everybody...

Well, you could always run xp or vista to use those plugins and then have a very long shower to get the smell of bill gates off you :hey: :hey:
... and then apply some Eau de Jobs ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Kuzey
06-13-2007, 06:18 AM
How can you ever have too much fun? :D Bring it on, there should be more, free fun for everybody...

... and then apply some Eau de Jobs ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Yes indeed...more free fun for all :hey:

You'll need something stronger than that to get all the smell off you...I fear ;)

Kuzey

Lightwolf
06-13-2007, 06:30 AM
You'll need something stronger than that to get all the smell off you...I fear ;)

Well, the problem is I think Eau de Jobs stinks just as much as Odeur de Gates (except that the flavour is different).
I'prefer a pint of Stroustrup anyday... ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Kuzey
06-13-2007, 07:29 AM
I'prefer a pint of Stroustrup anyday... ;)

I'll actually wait until he invents c+++++++++, then maybe then he can pass Jobs on the cool factor scale :D

Kuzey...the one who thinks what the heck am I writing here ;)

jasonwestmas
06-13-2007, 10:57 AM

I'll buy apple products when I can afford too, but yeah, sometimes I don't like to suffer too much for that kind of pricing.

ingo
06-14-2007, 02:20 AM
Well, looking at all the Leopard previews shows some nice thingys for Mac OS X for sure (at least for modern users who don't rely on typing path names ;) ). But fact is, we will never see anything like that in LightWaves terrible user interface .... although a QuickView in the file browser for LightWaves scenes and objects ..... okay i have to wake up from daydreaming. ;)

Red_Oddity
06-14-2007, 03:54 AM
I'm used to start programs by typing the name, way faster than navigating a load of menus or searching for the right icon on the desktop.

I highly recommend a tool like Launchy http://www.launchy.net/

I believe the Mac has a similar tool right out of the box.

Matt
06-14-2007, 03:58 AM
Most programmers like to type in path names and launch programs that way, it makes them feel all technical and hacker-like!

Best let them indulge their fantasies!

Lightwolf
06-14-2007, 04:00 AM
Most programmers like to type in path names and launch programs that way, it makes them feel all technical and hacker-like!

Not only that... but it makes us faster as well ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Phil
06-14-2007, 04:01 AM
Quicksilver ought to do the job.

Matt
06-14-2007, 04:05 AM
Not only that... but it makes us faster as well ;)

Cheers,
Mike

I was sooooooooooooooooo expecting you to reply to my little dig there!!!

Lightwolf
06-14-2007, 04:10 AM

I know... the only reason you posted I suppose ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
06-14-2007, 05:41 AM
Hehe! ;)

mattclary
06-14-2007, 06:31 AM

And he felt all technical as he quickly typed his reply. ;)

Lightwolf
06-14-2007, 06:33 AM
And he felt all technical as he quickly typed his reply. ;)
I surely ain't gonna wacom it ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Matt
06-14-2007, 07:18 AM
Actually Mike is special, not only is he technically minded, but he has an artistic side too!

The man is a genius! ;)

Lightwolf
06-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Actually Mike is special, not only is he technically minded, but he has an artistic side too!

I take offense on the artistic bit ;)

The man is a genius! ;)
Not even close... but that's a different story ;)

Cheers,
Mike

ingo
06-14-2007, 09:49 AM

The man is a genius! ;)

Does that mean he types the long pathnames backwards ? Otherwise using a keyboard is so old style ....