PDA

View Full Version : google map movie

DeafNN
06-11-2007, 12:37 PM
Hi everybody,

I just join this forum. I'm a newbie who is really motivated in improving my skills.

I work for a upstart company called Deaf News Network. It's our goal to broadcast news in ASL (America Sign Language) on line using video.

The question here is... I have seen a lot of cool google world movies on various medium from film to television.

So how can I do it ya know the norm common video of zooming down to your particular town.

Will show you my website when the web designer fixes the default size of the flash videos.

Thanks to y'all in advance!

Looking forward to be a member of the newtek community.

DeafNN Editor

:dance:

creach
06-11-2007, 01:50 PM
Well, I don't know how anyone else would do it, but this is how I would do it.

Obtain different shots (Google overhead views) of your town. Preferably at a high resolution. Each shot should be from zoomed in farther/closer than the one. Always with your final location in the center of the shot.

In a perfect world, you would have a sequence of still shots that start out in space, and end up zoomed in to the location you want to end up on.

Put each still on the timeline, and using the position tab, keyframe a zoom on that still so you start out wide, and end up zoomed in. You're going to only be able to zoom in so far before the individual pixels begin to show, so use your judgment for the best quality. Dissolve to the next still (to match your zoom level and image center) and do the same still-image-zoom thing you did last time. Dissolve again into the next still, and so on, and so on.

It'll take a little tweaking, but it's pretty easy overall.

Good luck, and welcome aboard!
Dan

jsanfilippo
06-11-2007, 02:06 PM
There was a service (maybe it was a plugin) available for purchase through Google Earth that would allow you to export high quality AVIs from Google Earth of it zooming and panning from one place to another. Very cool. I think it was $500 or something like that.

DeafNN
06-11-2007, 02:14 PM
Thank you to both Dan and Jamie for the quick respond.

Thats a good idea Dan.. that sounds like intensive work but sure beats the 500 dollars plug in offer from google earth.

Are you able to save pictures directly from google earth program?

I'll attempt to do this tommrow :)

creach
06-11-2007, 02:41 PM
Actually, DeafNN, it's really very easy because it's repetitive, and there are *many*tools in VT that are helpful for exactly this.

For example, to recreate the first still-picture-zoom on the second still picture, do this: 1-make a copy of the first picture you have setup the zoom on (from the timeline) by holding the control key while clicking and dragging the first picture on the timeline- this will make an extra copy of the first picture. Then 2- take the next picture from your folder, and as you pull it over to the timeline, hold the alt key and drag the second picture on top of the extra copy of the first and let go while holding the alt key.

The second picture will 'inherit' all the attributes you added to the first picture; clip length, zoom, and whatever else you did to it.

You could do your whole "google-zoom-thing" in under half an hour if you obtained the "right" pictures. The more effort you put into getting the correct stills, the less you need to put into 'making' the zoom.

Have fun!
Dan

Jim_C
06-11-2007, 03:34 PM
Download and install the free Google Earth.
Then just use the iVGA feature of VT or an external screen capture app like Camtasia and do a real time record of the Google earth screen zooming in.

Would take about 5 mins, download install and all.

tfrank
06-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Please check out the Google Earth site for any potential copyright infringement issues.

"Please note that any use of Google Earth must abide by our Terms and Conditions which can be found at http://earth.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=25095"

bbeanan
06-11-2007, 06:35 PM
You may be able to get a discount from Google too depending on how your org is set-up

jsanfilippo
06-12-2007, 05:08 AM
Download and install the free Google Earth.
Then just use the iVGA feature of VT or an external screen capture app like Camtasia and do a real time record of the Google earth screen zooming in.

Would take about 5 mins, download install and all.

I tried this with Camtasia. Didn't like the results. I don't recall why I was unhappy with it... it was awhile ago.

DeafNN
06-12-2007, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the idea Jim. I will try and attempt this today even though jsan didn't have a good result. Will post results

Jim_C
06-12-2007, 02:39 PM
You can get good and bad results with Camtasia. Depends. A lot of options and settings.

But the VT built in iVGA feature should work also and may provide better results.

wvp
06-18-2007, 06:03 PM
You can get good and bad results with Camtasia. Depends. A lot of options and settings.

But the VT built in iVGA feature should work also and may provide better results.
I'm pretty sure I tried this with my honeymoon footage and diden't like the results (with iVGA) - then again it might have been that I only wanted to zoom in to a certain point and that was too hard to make look good.

bbeanan
06-18-2007, 06:16 PM
keep in mind Google has an army of lawers I would spend the $$$ as they will not just look the other way...

Jim_C
06-18-2007, 07:09 PM
Yea, as we know Google is only allowed to invade YOUR private person.

Don't you dare go near their's.

;) :devil:

http://technology.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/tech_and_web/article1870995.ece

http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2007/06/googles-street-view-and-privacy.html

Ron Kirby
06-19-2007, 02:35 PM
So If I would like to use a couple of google images, how do I go about purchasing them?
Ron

tfrank
06-19-2007, 03:17 PM
So If I would like to use a couple of google images, how do I go about purchasing them?
Ron

There are links on the Google Map site.