PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy creature glow effect!

sean hargreaves
06-10-2007, 04:03 PM
Does anyone know how to get the transparent glow effect the creatures in Final Fantasy were made up of? Its kind of how a jellyfish looks, transparent yet more opaque at the edges and also more opaque where the shape wraps. I tried using the transparent button in the Surface Editor but the whole thing goes transparent at the same time. There needs to be a variable, can anyone help? I'd attach a frame from the film but I don't know how to frame grab!

jasonwestmas
06-10-2007, 04:10 PM
It's probably an some sort of sss shader with translucency AND transparency with self illumination. The glow can be done with the glow pixel shader. I'd experiment with Sigma to get the rubbery jellyfish look.

sean hargreaves
06-10-2007, 04:38 PM
! found the shader, its the fresnel shader. Looks great with high transparency and luminosity. Thanks!

jasonwestmas
06-10-2007, 06:11 PM
Yeah, that sounds about right, though you may find that you'll need more than just a few nodes. It's up to you.

jasonwestmas
06-10-2007, 06:15 PM
You may want to look into incidence angle gradients for this kind of effect too!

prospector
06-10-2007, 06:23 PM
There is a srf texture called Final Fantasy
kind of a luminesence smokey transparent blue.

zapper1998
06-10-2007, 07:07 PM
There is a srf texture called Final Fantasy
kind of a luminesence smokey transparent blue.

Where ?? can i find the surface texture???

Mike

SplineGod
06-10-2007, 07:47 PM
Just use incident angle gradients to control color, luminosity and transparency.

mattclary
06-11-2007, 12:14 PM
This effect is pretty easily achievable. One of the most common wallpapers in the known universe that uses this effect (the glowing toadstools) was done with LightWave. You can see them at www.digitalblasphemy.com

http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/fshow.shtml?i=fluorescence6&w=1152&h=864&y=2000&n=Fluorescence%20[6]&b=count&z=

That site is one of the things that steered me towards LightWave.

sean hargreaves
06-11-2007, 03:32 PM
You know what, you can't fade from this transparent fresnel shader to solid in animation. That sucks! I want to go from a semi transparent object using the fresnel shader to solid over time in animation. Can't figure it out. Anyone know?

jasonwestmas
06-11-2007, 04:35 PM
There should be a envelope button "E" if it has one. That will allow you to animate any surface setting.

sean hargreaves
06-11-2007, 05:19 PM
Theres no 'E' button in the shader window. I don't think you can animate the properties of a shader. So basically, I can't fade out from the shader effect into a solid surface such as metal. For example, I have a robot coming into a scene, its fresnel shaded, and I want it to become solid (metal) over 4 seconds. Any suggestions?

jasonwestmas
06-11-2007, 05:28 PM
you can animate shaders in nodal. Do you not have LW9? I would have done all of this in nodal anyway.

sean hargreaves
06-11-2007, 05:36 PM
How do you do that? Animate in nodal.

jasonwestmas
06-11-2007, 05:53 PM
Sorry, I meant to say that anything with an envelope 'E' button can be animated in nodal over time. I'll come up with an example later. You'll find you have more control in nodal. It's like taking the small seed that is the classic surface editor and then adding a huge, full blown tree of lighting and shading possibilities. You could animate the different surface attributes in the classic surface editor over time before, but with nodal you can add much more information with real world accuracy for realism. Not only can you animate surfaces within a network of shaders and nodes, emulating SSS, metalics and transparency accuracy should be done in Nodal. Shaders are often too specialized and you will have a rough time making it look the way you may need it to. Shaders are like taking someone elses idea and trying to fit it to your own, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, it's always a 50/50 percent chance it will work for you. So if it's more control you need then nodal is where it's at.

Twisted_Pixel
06-11-2007, 05:58 PM
This effect is pretty easily achievable. One of the most common wallpapers in the known universe that uses this effect (the glowing toadstools) was done with LightWave. You can see them at www.digitalblasphemy.com

http://www.digitalblasphemy.com/fshow.shtml?i=fluorescence6&w=1152&h=864&y=2000&n=Fluorescence%20[6]&b=count&z=

That site is one of the things that steered me towards LightWave.

That was the site, that set me down the Lightwave path.

sean hargreaves
06-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Twisted_Pixel, thats EXACTLY what I want to get (DIGITALBLASPHEMY-Glowing Toadstools). But, I want to be able to change it from this look, to a solid (metal for example) look over time (4 seconds).
The other guy was talking about nodals, but he was describing what, as opposed to how. Helpful, but I can't understand!

Twisted_Pixel
06-11-2007, 06:17 PM
I can understand the effect you are after, but as I am still in the process of learning all the processes within Lightwave, all I can say is the same as what's been posted already.

Twisted_Pixel
06-11-2007, 06:24 PM
Just a quick thought, tested it to be sure.
If you get your 'mushroom' colour set on your model, you could make a copy of the metal version. Then use object dissolve to fade the glowing one out over time. This would be adding extra geometry, so not sure how that would affect your scene.

It may not be the best method, but it's a possible option.

sean hargreaves
06-11-2007, 06:30 PM
That, is a good idea. I'll try it, thanks!

SplineGod
06-11-2007, 06:33 PM
Its basically incident angle gradients in the luminosity, transparency and maybe color channels. Add LWs glow on top.

jasonwestmas
06-12-2007, 04:04 PM
On this scene I animated the opacity of the material mixer between a transparent standard material and simple skin. Using reflection and refraction blurring will give the surface a more soft feel like a jellyfish, otherwise the material will feel like hard glass. Note: that you will probably want to composite a few render layers for sanity sake. This takes a while to render as is, even with Fprime which did make it easier.

sean hargreaves
06-12-2007, 10:50 PM
How do I open your .rar file? What application opens it?

jasonwestmas
06-12-2007, 11:11 PM
http://download-winrar.org/

jasonwestmas
06-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Sorry, that one isn't free trial, try this one:

http://www.download.com/3000-2250-10007677.html

jasonwestmas
06-13-2007, 11:33 AM
Any luck Sean? I should have just made a zip for you, lol.