PDA

View Full Version : LW Mag?

erich
06-09-2007, 02:40 PM
This may have been mentioned before, but perhaps it may be worth bringing up again especially with all the new advancements in LW9.x. I have become aware of what looks like a fantastic marketing/user support device over at a competitors forum. It is called the "The CINEMA 4D Magazine - 3d Attack". I have enclosed a picture of their latest mag and table of contents.

I was wondering if Newtek (or someone else) would consider doing somethig similar to this for us Lightwavers. I think it would be a really good idea for all concerned - both from a Newtek Marketing perspective as well as for all of us "users". The mag seems to have some high quality tutorials and other items of interest. I know that there are a lot of tuts out there for LW, but honestly, the vast majority of them seem to be very simple and/or very short technique/tool type tuts, instead of full, in depth and interesting project type tuts.

Anyways, just I would mention it in case it would be of interest.
Cheers.

Giacomo99
06-09-2007, 02:49 PM
I'd gladly pay $100/year for a well-thought-out print magazine devoted to Lightwave. But the content would have to be very good.

I subscribe to 3D World magazine--it's great to read information that's had the benefit of solid writing and editing--and I'd love to see a comparable publication dedicated exclusively to Lightwave.

UnCommonGrafx
06-09-2007, 02:56 PM
Truly, I too would give up $100.00 a year if it had scripting included as a part of the mag. Right now, HDRI is the better of the two (3d World), in my opinion. I recently let 3D World go because it had very little scripting; hdri, on the other hand, has had scripting notes in each of the issues I've gotten.

3D World is very good, to be sure. But it's all over the place and those places aren't necessarily where I'd like to be.

erich
06-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Cinemas mag is a pdf download costing only $5.99! And it comes with "goodies" as well. I have never bought one, but they sure look good. I may consider picking one up just to see if the tuts could be done in LW instead. :)

erich
06-09-2007, 03:03 PM
Here is a link if you want to see more examples of their mag.

http://www.3dattack.net/shop/index.php#88

Newtek, are you interested or listening!...PLEASE! :)

rwhunt99
06-09-2007, 03:06 PM
Lightwave has had it's own mag in the past, but the cost for publishing a single application oriented magazine with a relatively smal user base has been the main problem. HDRI magazine is a metamorphasis of Keyframe magazine which was soley a Lightwave vehicle. HDRI realised it needed to reach out to a larger audience in order to survive so it changed to accomodate more apps. I do subscribe to 3D World but I just might cancel my sub because it seems to be getting away from what I need, I'm just a hobbyist and their articles seem to be heading to a much more expensive professional orientation that uses much more expensive tools than what I can afford.

byte_fx
06-09-2007, 03:31 PM
Several LW mags have came and gone over the years.

Most were a bit thin on content, had infrequent publishing schedules and were often under funded.

HDRI looks tempting.

byte_fx

UnCommonGrafx
06-09-2007, 04:10 PM
Serious Statement:
I would be willing to be the editor to a pdf only mag. ;) ;)

kilvano
06-09-2007, 04:46 PM
I would be willing to do some of the layouts of the mag.

Im not much of a writer but good with layouts

erich
06-09-2007, 04:50 PM
I have had a look at HDRI and was not impressed. Very limited modeling tuts in there, last I recall. Seemed like a lot of fluff to me. No offence to the editors/creators. I just didn't see a whole lot of good modeling tuts in the last several issues, so I haven't even been tempted to purchase it (althougth, the page stock and photos are pretty high quality). :) I just think it is lacking in content for what I am looking for. They should take a look at the 3DAttack mag I mentioned for some ideas.

byte_fx
06-09-2007, 05:52 PM
See - that's what I'm talking about.

Specialty mags of this nature need good content and quite a bit of it.

But that's hard to acquire.

There's a lot of stuff floating around on the net - probably a lot more than a mag could hope to include even if published bi-weekly.

byte_fx

SplineGod
06-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Newtek had a magazine called Newtekniques. After it failed the subscribers were rolled over into what become HDRI. I actually prefer 3D World over HDRI myself because of the high fluff factor.
I also have never been able to figure out why Keyframe was renamed after an image format that has nothing per se to do with 3D....its like calling a 3d magazine Jpeg 3d...
It is a lot of work and questionable whether the return is worth the effort. I dont think HDRI itself has ever done REALLY that well. Its gone thru a lot of editors and as others have pointed out, gone the way of other magazines in covering more then just LW.

byte_fx
06-09-2007, 09:02 PM
ROFL. So true about magazine names.

Wish I'd known about the rollover - I had a subscripton to Newtekniques but it just evaporated. No new issues - no response to emails - no nothing.

3D World has proven impossible to find in my area. Even the tech and 3D/tv/film magazine specialty dealers can't get it because one distributor handles everything and he won't order a mag for less than a hundred units. He doesn't care how many units go to each store as long as the total order is for a hundred or more.

Andyjaggy
06-09-2007, 09:52 PM
I think it would be very hard to have an exclusive printed LW magazine. However I believe a PDF downloadable magazine could have the potential to be successful. Or at least to stay affloat.

hrgiger
06-09-2007, 11:02 PM
Newtekniques? I never heard of that. Do you mean Newtek pro by any chance? I was subscribed to that one but shortly after I renewed my subscription, they up and vanished in the night (not to mention I was promised 100 Newtek bucks which never showed either).

I wish we did have a Lightwave dedicated magazine. Maybe someday, someone will make it work without having to turn it into a multi-app magazine (aka HDRI).

byte_fx
06-10-2007, 01:46 AM
Newtekniques and Newtek Pro were different although I seem to remember some connection. Maybe just a couple of contributors.

Never subscribed to it but did buy a couple of copies.

byte_fx

byte_fx
06-10-2007, 02:40 AM
Just had a quick look - found the Newtekniques issue with rhe Space: Above and Beyond troop transport on the cover.

Something I always meant to explore.

musick
06-10-2007, 03:02 AM
I'd love to see a lightwave mag. Or atleast a lightwave section in Image FX magazine or similar.

erich
06-10-2007, 11:39 AM
I would think that a downloadedable pdf version would be very inexpensive to distribute. All that would be needed is some people to write and edit some good content. This shouldn't be that hard to find. Just look at all the cool stuff that is demonstrated here! :)

And with the amount of interest generated (just look at this thread), I am positive that enough copies could be sold to pay the writers.

prospector
06-10-2007, 12:11 PM
I have invested in every LW mag only to see money wasted when they went the way of the western sun.

If I do it again it will have to be done by someone other than a fly-by-night company.

I just don't trust them.

JamesCurtis
06-10-2007, 01:00 PM
To be honest with you, 3DWorld Magazine IS expensive on newstands and in bookstores. However, it's about half the cost if you subscribe to it. I know as soon as I can spare about $100 or so [at one time], I'm going too. I have found recently that the stuff they've been including on the bonus content disk has proven usefull to me.

newsvixen8
06-10-2007, 07:49 PM
A 3D World subscription is my annual Mother's Day present. And it's tax deductible too!! But I agree with the earlier post that it is frequently aimed at high-end production techniques that have nothing to do with my work. It's just eye-candy. HDRI waffles between being too Maya-heavy and then too simplistic on the LW side. It's as though they think we're a bit dim. The last one had some useful stuff though, on surface and texture baking.

SplineGod
06-10-2007, 08:43 PM
I kind of agree here. Its frustrating to me to see Lightwave articles or demos of LW done in a way that makes it look no more poweful that much cheaper or free apps. Everytime I pick up the magazine on the newsstand I never buy it. I believe wholeheartedly in supporting things LW related but only in they deserve to be IMO.

hrgiger
06-10-2007, 09:18 PM
I would think that a downloadedable pdf version would be very inexpensive to distribute. All that would be needed is some people to write and edit some good content. This shouldn't be that hard to find. Just look at all the cool stuff that is demonstrated here! :)

And with the amount of interest generated (just look at this thread), I am positive that enough copies could be sold to pay the writers.

I would pay for a subscription to online content like this if A) the content was recent and useful and B) it was reasonably priced as in significantly less then a paper subscription.

JamesCurtis
06-10-2007, 10:11 PM
Agreed!!

mikala
06-11-2007, 01:34 AM
Sorry 3dworld = Fluff

CaptainMarlowe
06-11-2007, 09:47 AM
As far as I know, there are almost no mag dedicated to 3D in France (if not at all). The only ones related to computer arts focus most of the time on photoshop...
For sure, a mag dedicated to LW would come in handy, but, while waiting for it, I will take a closer look at HDRI to begin with...:)

JohnMarchant
06-11-2007, 09:56 AM
Well, i get 3d world and did get HDRI, i let it slide after issue 13 because i want a lightwave mag not one that covers other 3d programs. How about an online mag a bit like wikipedia. Well just add tutorials tit bits etc to it.

The reason i say this is that its alot of work to do a mag and we all start with the best intentions but life or such gets in the way and then it becomes patchy on updates.

Regards, John

BeeVee
06-11-2007, 10:14 AM
There's "pixel creation numérique" here in France...

B

CaptainMarlowe
06-11-2007, 10:26 AM
Yes, BeeVee, there is indeed.
I've been buying this mag for some time, but I let go. I don't find enough interesting stuff in it.
I've also abandonned the French version of Computer Arts, for the same reason. I don't think the content is worth the price... (except for photoshop users).

CG Addict
06-11-2007, 12:08 PM
I like C4D’s buy per issue deal ... you like it you buy it, if you don’t like a particular issue your not obligated to buy it. No yearly subscriptions to worry about.

I’d definitely be interested.

nolan
06-11-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm almost certain this has been mentioned before but 3d Creative (http://www.3dcreativemag.com/) is an excellent bargin. Only available as a pdf download, they have major tutorials in depth with Max, Maya, Lightwave, XSI and Cinema versions. Always a number of good generic tuts and a fair number of LW articles. Best part is the "free" lite version that you can d/l and look at before buying. The price is great also, only $4.00 issue, although they do discount a years subscription.

Regards,

Nolan

mattclary
06-11-2007, 01:41 PM
I got burned with "NewTek Pro" or "Newtekniques" (maybe both, hard to remember now, but both names set off alarm bells for me), and after that, I have given up on paying a subscription to anything related to LightWave. None of the magazines I have gotten my hands on (those two or whatever I have found at bookstores) had enough meat to them to justify the price.

I would rather buy an "Inside LightWave" and another book every year and know what I am getting, than role the dice on a magazine.

Really wish Dave Jerrard would would write another book.... :(

Wonderpup
06-11-2007, 03:19 PM
Printed magazines are being killed off by the net. The main selling point for me used to be the news- but now the 'news' in 3D world reads like ancient history- I actualy experience feelings of nostalgia sometimes reading it.

The only way they could save themselves is by evolving into serious voices, worth listening to in their own right. At the moment they serve up insipid leftovers from the web with an equaly insipid lack of insight or original opinion.

Where are the 'shock jocks' of 3D? Tell me something I don't already know.

Bending over backwards in an attempt to please all the people all the time is a recipe for mediocrity. The only advantage a magazine now has is prep time- a month to construct a viewpoint with some depth and research behind it.

hrgiger
06-11-2007, 04:00 PM
Sorry 3dworld = Fluff

One of the truer statements I've heard today.

Giacomo99
06-11-2007, 06:36 PM
Printed magazines are being killed off by the net....Bending over backwards in an attempt to please all the people all the time is a recipe for mediocrity. The only advantage a magazine now has is prep time- a month to construct a viewpoint with some depth and research behind it.

I pretty much agree..the role of up-to-the-minute news is much better served by online media.

However, I'm really starving these last few years for better-thought-out, better-written, and better-edited tutorials. I've been using Lightwave for about five years (and doing 3D since 1992), I own pretty much ALL the books available (and plenty of DVDs from Kurv and SplineGod) and I have to say I'm frustrated that even the best resources available on certain topics-- dynamics, cloth, texturing, and especially, the practical details of rigging human characters--just fall far, far short of illuminating enough that I can start to grasp the general principles and begin to experiment on my own. So I'd like to see more thorough and well-written material on those topics.

I'd also like to see thoughtful reviews of the various plug-ins. For so much of what's available, the only documentation available before buying is the developer's own press (and hopefully, some feedback on the forums.) But, again, there's just nowhere near enough information out there--a one-line description on Flay and a few cryptic paragraphs on a website is usually just not sufficient for me to tell what's going on.

My preference for tutorial format is for print media (with accompanying files on disk.) Scrolling through a PDF of a long tutorial is a huge headache, and the vast majority of video tutes (although some are good) are narrated by fairly inarticulate people with a tendency to ramble --it's also a hassle to move back and forth through a video clip looking for something I remember seeing the first time I watched it.

I could go on. My position is of one who's used Lightwave professionally for several years and is looking for a solid introduction to the more abstruse parts of the program--(to repeat from above-- dynamics, cloth, texturing, and especially, the practical details of rigging human characters.) I think a well-written, well-edited magazine would be enormously valuable to people in my position, and would do a lot to demonstrate Lightwave's ability to compete with other apps in high-end work.

mattclary
06-11-2007, 08:39 PM
My preference for tutorial format is for print media (with accompanying files on disk.) Scrolling through a PDF of a long tutorial is a huge headache, and the vast majority of video tutes (although some are good) are narrated by fairly inarticulate people with a tendency to ramble --it's also a hassle to move back and forth through a video clip looking for something I remember seeing the first time I watched it.

Agreed 100%

andrew_y
06-11-2007, 09:30 PM
Hmmm.... interesting.

WilliamVaughan
06-11-2007, 10:09 PM
HDRI3D is far from Fluff IMHO. Each issue has something to offer LightWave artists of different levels and I think it's a great resource. Gregory's Real World Production series is just one example of well thought out material that is packed with great information.

Brad and Andrea always have something for new users and there are other authors that share info that cant be found anywhere else that I have seen.

I prefer printed material anyday!

inquisitive
06-11-2007, 10:36 PM
The question is which of you would be willing to write an article and not get compensated much for it? If you want the publication to be inexpensive that probably means that the generation of content would also have to be of lesser cost to whomever publishes the magazine.

I purchase both 3D World and HDRI. HDRI has good content but from time to time there is one or two articles that have nothing to do with 3d. Then again I have not taken the time to voice my opinion :)

I dont own Maya/XSI but if the article deals with some approach that I may be able to also use in LW, the article is of interest to me. (ie. in concept)
On the other hand, I also think if I ever get Maya, I may have some cool articles to follow (well I did 'gasp' downloaded/installed the PE version).

Giacomo99
06-12-2007, 06:52 AM
The question is which of you would be willing to write an article and not get compensated much for it? If you want the publication to be inexpensive that probably means that the generation of content would also have to be of lesser cost to whomever publishes the magazine.

I agree completely. The main hurdle here is that writing, editing, and laying out material on the level I'm looking for simply takes a lot of time, and the people who do it will have to be compensated on some level, even if it's only on a break-even basis. I suppose this is another reason why I favor print for this--if the content's not available online, users might be more motivated to actually pay money to acquire it.

I only vaguely remember NewTekniques and NewTek Pro, but my recollection is that, however well-intentioned, they were pretty awful. I don't know if the memory of those will taint any future efforts in this direction. I hope not.

I'm far from proficient in the kind of topics (again: dynamics, cloth, texturing, nodal textures, and especially, the practical details of rigging human characters) I'd like to see treated in proposed magazine, but I'd be more than willing to go back-and-forth, over and over again--like "real" writers and editors do--as a "tutorial tester" in order to make sure that the material developed was something substantially more helpful than what's been made available so far.

(Mattclary's comment that Dave Jerrard should write another book is a great one. Dave, more than any other Lightwave expert, actually seems to use the program on a day-to-day basis--which is enormously useful when writing tutorials.)

JohnMarchant
06-12-2007, 08:26 AM
I stopped ghetting HDRI after issue 13 (lapsed subscription). I liked it before when it only involved Lightwave and perifery programmes but now it includes other 3d packages there is less about Lightwave.

I agree with Proton, Brad and Andrea's stuff is good and was before HDRI but its not enough to warrant the money for all the other stuff in there that i dont use.

As already said a good book, especially by dave Jerrard once a year is money better spent.

Regards, John

Safe Harbor
06-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Newtek had a magazine called Newtekniques. After it failed the subscribers were rolled over into what become HDRI.

This is incorrect. NewTekniques subscribers were never rolled into Keyframe/HDRI, since they were owned by two different companies and were never related.

HDRI 3D originally began life as LightWavin' published by Manny Ortiz (the fog of memory is quite thick here, not sure if that's the right spelling). I helped form DMG Publishing with Andy Frerking of Dynamic Realities, and we purchased LightWavin' from Manny back in 1998-1999. We renamed it Keyframe and launched it as a totally new magazine, and owned it until I believe around 2001, when it was purchased by the Edgins, who eventually merged it with their other 3D magazine (HighEnd Magazine) and called the new publication HDRI 3D.

I still have original press runs of all the LightWavin' and Keyframe issues and several rejected proofs. :thumbsup:

When we were running Keyframe, we had plenty of material for a LightWave-only publication, but we didn't have enough subscribers to make it float. I can understand why Charles and other publishers have had to broaden their content to other 3D apps, or perish.

mattclary
06-12-2007, 05:12 PM

Oddly enough, the nature of our community probably hinders turning a profit from a magazine. too many people are willing to do it for free.

http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials%20/Main_Menu.htm

lardbros
06-12-2007, 05:37 PM
I subscribe to both HDRI and 3dworld and besides HDRI having plenty of LW content, it's written pretty poorly and the layout is like a 12yr olds fanzine. They do have great LW specific tutorials though, which 3dworld neglects most of the time.

I love the layout and design of 3dworld, its very professional in its layout and content, but i would love to see a LW only mag with nice layout and well written articles! That would be a godsend!

Giacomo99
06-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Oddly enough, the nature of our community probably hinders turning a profit from a magazine. too many people are willing to do it for free.
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials%20/Main_Menu.htm

Actually, the inadequacy of tutes on shaw.ca is a great illustration of why I want better Lightwave tutorials--in whatever form, preferably printed.

There may be some good and helpful stuff on shaw.ca, but, if you look at the lists, usually about half the links in any category are down. Many of the linked tutes that are functional are poorly written or incomplete.

jeffreywpearson
06-12-2007, 06:57 PM
Have you taken a look at 3D Creative? (http://www.3dcreativemag.com/) I know they are always looking for good content. Perhaps if more LW content were submitted more would be published in the issues?

DiscreetFX
06-12-2007, 07:05 PM
Thanx for the info Tiffani, did not know you were part of that magazine.

SplineGod
06-12-2007, 07:30 PM
This is incorrect. NewTekniques subscribers were never rolled into Keyframe/HDRI, since they were owned by two different companies and were never related.

HDRI 3D originally began life as LightWavin' published by Manny Ortiz (the fog of memory is quite thick here, not sure if that's the right spelling). I helped form DMG Publishing with Andy Frerking of Dynamic Realities, and we purchased LightWavin' from Manny back in 1998-1999. We renamed it Keyframe and launched it as a totally new magazine, and owned it until I believe around 2001, when it was purchased by the Edgins, who eventually merged it with their other 3D magazine (HighEnd Magazine) and called the new publication HDRI 3D.

I still have original press runs of all the LightWavin' and Keyframe issues and several rejected proofs. :thumbsup:

When we were running Keyframe, we had plenty of material for a LightWave-only publication, but we didn't have enough subscribers to make it float. I can understand why Charles and other publishers have had to broaden their content to other 3D apps, or perish.

I believe Newtek was the majority owner of NewtekPro. When enough ppl complained about having paid for subscriptions but receiving no magazine they were given subscriptions to keyframe magazine.

hrgiger
06-12-2007, 09:48 PM
I believe Newtek was the majority owner of NewtekPro. When enough ppl complained about having paid for subscriptions but receiving no magazine they were given subscriptions to keyframe magazine.

Hmm, I wish I had heard of such an offer. I didn't receive that.

inquisitive
06-13-2007, 03:07 AM
I think i still have a copy of breadbox, the litle zine from stranahan. Along with the magazine that followed that

colkai
06-13-2007, 04:34 AM
Don't get me started on the amount of subs I ended up losing to failed magazine projects. Now, if I can't see it in the shops, I don't get it.
My 3DWorld subs expires in a month or so and that isn't getting renewed for many reasons. Frankly, I find far more informative and useful stuff right here that I need these days.

Safe Harbor
06-13-2007, 09:20 AM

No, we never gave subscriptions to anyone from other magazines that were going under.

And NewtekPro and NewTekniques were two totally different magazines, run by different publishing companies (but NewTek was involved with both). I suspect that when those magazines went under, subscribers got their subscriptions rolled into a different publication that was owned by the publisher - but it was NOT Keyframe. We were an independant publication and it would not have made any sense for us to provide compensatory subscriptions.

hrgiger
06-14-2007, 04:29 AM
I suspect that when those magazines went under, subscribers got their subscriptions rolled into a different publication that was owned by the publisher - but it was NOT Keyframe.

I was a subscriber to Newtek Pro and I didn't get a sorry about your luck letter, let alone a subscription to another magazine.

prospector
06-14-2007, 06:31 AM
:cursin: me neither,,,for any of them