PDA

View Full Version : Trying to make a 3 sided sign Like they have at baseball parks.

TheDynamo
06-08-2007, 05:29 PM
I've attached a zip file of what I've been able to work out. It's easy to map an image on the Z axis side(since one side initially faces the camera). The problem I'm running into though is that since there are 3 sides to map an image on, the other two sides at 120 and 240 degrees cannot map the same way. I'm hoping that I'm just missing something easy but I'm stumped each time I look at this.

Just for clarification, I'm trying to be able to map a different screen on each side.

"Sign A" -flips 120 degrees- "Sign B" -flips 120 degrees- "Sign C" (And so on if the spot requires it just by switching out image maps). Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks in advance!

-Dyn

Twisted_Pixel
06-08-2007, 05:35 PM
I haven't had a look at the files, but I assume UV mapping would solve your problem here.

TheDynamo
06-08-2007, 05:48 PM
Haven't done those tutorials yet :) I'll look into that this weekend. Thanks!

-Dyn

Surrealist.
06-08-2007, 07:27 PM
When you do have a look at it, take a look at the Texture Guide. It is in the Map tab under Texture/More.

Select the tool

Click in the view port to activate.

N for numeric requester and chose camera from the drop down list. It is set to Planar by default.

Select the area you want to map and use the camera tool to get the angle you need. The shape of the UV texture you are creating will show up in the viewport that you have set to UV view.

TheDynamo
06-11-2007, 11:17 AM
Thanks, it looks like I've got free time today to work on the UV textures. To be honest I think Newtek did a great job on the 9.0-9.2 manuals. They read much more like a textbook than they do an actual manual. I think a friend told me learning UV textures is like a right angled learning curve, you don't really know it until you know it :devil:.

-Dyn