PDA

View Full Version : A small stupid program

walfridson
06-08-2007, 12:28 PM
http://walen.se/temp/simlw.jpghttp://walen.se/temp/simlw2.jpghttp://walen.se/temp/lwsim.jpg
Small thing I'm working on.
Works like this.
Export your vehicle in lightwave with the w3d exporter which comes with lightwave.
Load it into SimLW.
Do any adjustments if you need and feel like it :)
Simulate & record
Save to a .lws file.

Attached a preview of a small test I just did.

walfridson
06-08-2007, 03:24 PM
Shure
Its made with Director, thats why the w3d format.

Didnt explain very well... The program lets you drive a model made up of body and four wheels. An object or more to act as fixedbodys, like a road. You can also import movable bodys, like the boxes in the screenshot.
Select objects, which ones to record during simulation. Those ones gets exported as nulls to a lightwave scene.

Got some things to sort out, then Ill post an exe here

mikadit
06-08-2007, 05:03 PM
It's a quite interesting tool, very nice.
Can't wait for the exe. :D

jin choung
06-08-2007, 11:28 PM
WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT WALFRIDSON ?!?!?!?!?!?!

THIS IS MOTHERFING BRILLIANT!!!

great minds must think alike because this lines right up with my own world renowned thoughts! :) :P

anyhoo, i've ALWAYS thought that the future of vehicle animation will come down to essentially virtual stunt drivers and pilots navigating in a "game" with game physics (and there are some really advanced game physics going on in stuff like gran turismo and il2 sturmovic)... cuz why would you animate wind buffeting and bumpy roads when you get it in a game for free?

and that data being exported to an app like lightwave for the purposes of tweaking at most and then... render!

i can imagine that one day, when "top gun 2:jsfing yeah!" is filmed, we'll have the equivalent of a lan party of guys wired together to choreograph the flights and maybe even a CAMERA PLANE with tony scott on doom-style-mouse getting his shots.

neat.

thanks.

jin

arsad
06-09-2007, 01:39 AM
very cool idea and this could be very very usefull! Thanks for sharing.

wp_capozzi
06-09-2007, 02:30 AM
Excellent Idea! I can't wait to see more of it.

I always wanted to see a plugin or feature that would allow 'driving' a character in a scene and recording the motion, for a basis to rough in character animation. Have a library of walk, run, jump, poses, etc, then bind the motions to keys and walk and turn and do basic moves like you would in a 3D game. Then have that output to something like a mocap file. I'm sure it's a heck of a lot more complicated than I want to think, but it is an idea (one that I mentioned before). It could be a way to block out character movement like playing a game. Maybe it can be done?

Looking forward to more car simulation here in the mean time.

-Bill C.

Ztreem
06-11-2007, 03:51 AM
This sounds like the old reelmotion app, but maybe not as expensive. :)

lesterfoster
06-11-2007, 06:47 AM
I did a search for SimLW on google as I would like to give this a try. It looks like fun and something new to learn. But I could only fine one link that has anything to do with this. Here is the link.

http://www.lwita.com/vb/showthread.php?p=47918

I wonder what that other person is saying about SimLW.

And where can someone find this program.

mikadit
06-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Hey walfridson, you are working in interesting things, I sow at your website the interactive "Anovoplan". It's quite interesting too. Did you do that with director too? Anything to do with LightWave?

Hotcube 3D, under multimedia, Anocoplan:
http://holocube.walen.se/multimedia.html

----
@ lesterfoster
A goggle search for something new can not help so much, but at least you coulded look at walfridson website. ;)

http://www.lwita.com/vb/showthread.php?p=47918

I wonder what that other person is saying about SimLW.
That person (is me) say what you can read in this post (6) (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=553881&postcount=6) and in the post 4 (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showpost.php?p=553881&postcount=4) :hat:

Sarford
06-18-2007, 04:20 AM
Since you work in Director, does that mean you can quite easely compile a mac version too?

LW3D
06-20-2007, 03:53 AM
any news?

walfridson
06-20-2007, 04:07 AM
Thanks!

Slowly getting there. Got one problem to solve, then we have the first exe..
Problem converting from sw3d wicked rotations to lw's radians. If someone has done this already contact me please :)

mikadit: that was just a planning thing for a company.

v1u1ant
06-20-2007, 04:34 AM
mac version would be very nice

Zafar Iqbal
06-20-2007, 06:25 AM
Cool! Is it possible to simulate using a wheel and pedals? That would be amazingly awesomenestic.

Bog
06-20-2007, 04:50 PM
Oooh, yes please! Sounds like more fun than a Collie pup.

toby
06-20-2007, 05:56 PM
This looks anything but stupid! (as stated before!)
How far will you be taking this, does it work with and without a controller, do the cars have suspension, etc. If you make it as functional as ReelMotion was, (which requires old graphics cards that no one uses anymore) you could make some cash in return for your trouble - even if you don't, I'm sure it'll be lots of fun at the least

mikadit
06-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Slowly getting there. Got one problem to solve, then we have the first exe..
Problem converting from sw3d wicked rotations to lw's radians. If someone has done this already contact me please :)
The problem maybe due becouse of the LW gimbal rotation system. So maybe a gimbal lock problem. In the order: heading, pitch and bank, works as hierarchy (the first effect on the seconds, but not reverse). When the same plan is reached a gimbal lock can occur.

For a much better explanation I had found this post, that explain quite well the gimbal lock in LW: http://www.spinquad.com/forums/showpost.php?p=22090&postcount=13
And here an ather explanation:
http://www.3d-resources.com/lightwave_3d_tutorials/inverse_kinematics_in_lightwave_tutorial.html
Hope that can help.

just guessing ... conditions maybe a solution?
If the problem occur over or below certain values, for exemple, exceeding the +/- 180 degree, maybe you should add conditions to substract and add -/+ 360 degree, to add in the motion output.
I'm not a programmer at all, it's just what I'm guessing and could be totally wrong.

that was just a planning thing for a company.
Anyway, it's quite interesting what you can do with director.

walfridson
06-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Thanks Mika :), if you were hoping it was a plugin maybe this (http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66855) is close?

Not really a LW problem :(.. Posted it on directors newsgroup, see what happends.

Zafar Iqbal: There's joystick support, so it depends how you got the thing setup.

toby: thanks Toby, was thinking more silly than stupid :) Its pretty basic, not as good as reelmotion.

Zafar Iqbal
06-23-2007, 11:51 AM
Zafar Iqbal: There's joystick support, so it depends how you got the thing setup.

8~ I need to try this.. andI need my work to disappear for a bit.

Zafar Iqbal
07-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Any download links yet?

Ztreem
11-25-2007, 03:43 AM
Walfridson: How is it going with the app? would be nice to test it, looks very useful.

ben martin
11-25-2007, 08:14 AM
Holy crap... :bowdown:

HEY NEWTEK... watch and learn!!!! :devil:

Cageman
11-26-2007, 03:27 PM
WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT WALFRIDSON ?!?!?!?!?!?!

THIS IS MOTHERFING BRILLIANT!!!

great minds must think alike because this lines right up with my own world renowned thoughts! :) :P

anyhoo, i've ALWAYS thought that the future of vehicle animation will come down to essentially virtual stunt drivers and pilots navigating in a "game" with game physics (and there are some really advanced game physics going on in stuff like gran turismo and il2 sturmovic)... cuz why would you animate wind buffeting and bumpy roads when you get it in a game for free?

ReelMotion is exactly like that... the only thing is, it was made way back. The coder of that soft went on and wrote the dynamics for a game. And I tell you, ReelMotion is still unbeatable when it comes to vehicle simulation (and yes, you drive the car as if it was a game). Not only that, but you can add up to 10 wheels to simulate tanks (some clever ways to setup so that you can steer with all wheels if you want, with adjustable degrees, independently for each wheel)... It also has winds and effectors so that if you hit a key, you can throw the vehicle in a desired direction (as if there was an explosion throwing it upwards as an example). ReelMotion simulates Aircrafts as well, even UFOs can be "played". :) There are tons of other features as well, a shame that it isn't developed anymore. :/

Walfridson: Not to hijack your thread, but it looked like Jin didn't know about ReelMotion. :) I think it's pretty clever to use Director, an option I would never have thought of myself. Will it be possible to do add more wheels and stuff like that?

jin choung
11-26-2007, 06:56 PM
yah,

i knew about reelmotion but as others said, it kinda disappeared and it didn't seem reasonable in terms of price....

i mean if i can just animation curves out il2 sturmovik or test drive, that's all it is... physics is cheap these days and joysticks plentiful.

they have a new contender these days... forgot the name of the company but they do the same thing but again, too expensive. and every vehicle is sold separately so it's not ideal....

better to have a generalized app that lets users tweak their own vehicles.

jin

walfridson
11-27-2007, 04:20 AM
This isnt anything like reelmotion when it comes to reality, very basic for now.
But its a free solution

Anyway...
Not much has happend because of work and my brain :)
Still have problem converting to LW.

But..
Now it saves to a .sim file. I though, hey why not a mel importer or any other apps?
So. If you or anyone else is up to the challange feel VERY free to try to make an importer.

Stuff like simulation, UI etc etc etc have suffered sinces I've spend many hours on a darn solution... Oh well
Anyway, here's what I have so far http://simtool.walen.se/simtool.rar

If you have any ideas etc about the .sim file, please bug me

walfridson
11-27-2007, 04:34 AM
Oh crap...
When I started to write I though "gotta thank Petter, gotta thank Petter"... :)

The car code is based on his remake of the havokcar script so a big thanks to this shockwave guru!

mikadit
11-28-2007, 04:32 AM
Thank walfridson for the update.

Hot do I read the following lines in the .sim output?

[vector( -0.1945, 0.9808, -0.0164 ), -10.1544]
vector( 1.9806, -9.9599, -0.0061 )
The first three are position (XYZ, or XZY, or some order) and the last three are the rotations (HPB, some order) at a specific frame, but what is the fourth number, in the case the -10.1544?

It could be imported using commands sequences, just need a differenet output of the original .sim, couldn't it?
SelectByName glassbil:glassbody
AddPosition -0.1945 0.9808 -0.0164
AddRotation 1.9806 -9.9599 -0.0061
NextFrame
AddPosition ...
AddRotation ...
NextFrame
[...]
SelectByName glassbil:tirefl
[...]

walfridson
11-28-2007, 05:22 AM
Hey
Thanks for having a look at it.

This is how stuff is rotated in director, right hand ruled.
http://walen.se/temp/rot.jpg
[vector( -0.1945, 0.9808, -0.0164 ), -10.1544]
The axisAngle property is a linear list containing a vector (the axis) and a float (the angle). The vector is the axis around which the transform is rotated. The float is the amount, in degrees, of rotation.

The second line ( 1.9806, -9.9599, -0.0061 ), is just the rotation.

Greenlaw
12-18-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi walfridson,

I played around with your program a few weeks ago and saw a lot of potential in it. I was wondering if you had any luck getting the LW scene exporter to work.

Please keep up the great work!

DRG

jnddepew
12-18-2007, 01:40 PM
This looks very good, and has a ton of potential! thanks a lot!

walfridson
12-18-2007, 04:01 PM
Yes thank you guys

No solution from me yet... 3D math isnt my game I'm afraid.

But position & heading import is working so maybe I can put that in.. Always something...

hunter
03-18-2008, 12:51 PM
walfridson,
Any word on this? It's very cool.:thumbsup:

Bog
03-18-2008, 03:37 PM
I'd really like to have this. It looks like *fun*.

Also, I've got an Interlink Plus controller here that's gagging for software like this :)

LightFreeze
03-18-2008, 06:12 PM
had a play with this, its fun.

made a script to import the sim file, not complete yet, still need to work out the rotations (if I can) so if anyone wants to edit feel free

Bog
03-18-2008, 06:40 PM
Well, if it's just data conversion, we can do that.

Would you like an exporter for your data, Mr Sim Guy Person?

LightFreeze
03-19-2008, 12:21 PM
If you could post the conversion code I`ll see if I can get it into lscript

mikadit
03-23-2008, 09:58 PM
Great LightFreeze! Nice to see someone has the wish to help out! :thumbsup:

Red_Oddity
09-08-2008, 09:41 AM
I wanted to give this a go again, but i get nothing but script errors (Win XP 64 and Win 2003)