PDA

View Full Version : morphing without using bones/layers

Atlantis_C
06-07-2007, 10:02 PM
The game engine I use does not support Lightwave layers and many LWers haven't had success getting their (boned) .lws files to work.

I'm going to try morphing and see if the animations will work with that method.

Is there any way to morph an object without using layers (anything not on layer 1 won't show up in the engine), bones or plugins (which many forum posts suggest)?

I've been searching the forums for an hour and a half to find any good tutorials or advise with this method, but haven't had much luck.

I'm using LW 8.5 as that is more stable in this engine than 9.

SplineGod
06-08-2007, 12:55 AM
If the game engine doesnt support layers then why not put everything into a single layer? Bone and morphs will still work fine. :)

Atlantis_C
06-10-2007, 03:23 PM
Does anyone know of any video tutorials (either free or that I can buy) that will show how to animate on one layer using morphing or endomorphs?

I've tried doing endomorphs in Lightwave using the eye blink tutorial, but haven't had much luck.

SplineGod
06-10-2007, 04:19 PM
Animating endomorphs on one layer is simple.
Take your object and create a new endomorph.
Sculpt the object. You can now switch back to your base object or create a new endomorph again. Since they are part of the object itself you dont have to create new objects.

newsvixen8
06-12-2007, 09:51 AM
Splinegod is too modest to point out that he, himself, has an excellent video on DVD called "Lightwave 3D, Displacements and Endomorphs" available from Kurv Studios. Also look for "Get into Weightmaps" dealing with weightmaps and endomorphs.

SplineGod
06-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Thanks, I appreciate the comments. What did you like about the videos? For me being able to control morphs etc via textures opens up a whole bunch of cool possibilities. :)

newsvixen8
06-13-2007, 08:36 PM
It's been a while since I watched 'em, but I remember being jazzed at the ability to use procedurals on more than one axis by using them as bump displacements. I've needed that little trick several times, using tileable images created in Illustrator.