PDA

View Full Version : Need some capture help....

m.d.
06-07-2007, 07:30 PM
I am trying to capture main and program on 2 seperate 500 gig seagate drives.

I have a seperate drive for my OS, and a WD raptor for my DDR/DDV

When i record program out.....no problem....100%
When i try recording either main or preview, they drop frames and fail within minutes(seconds really)

now this is only recording 1 single stream, not the 2 or 3 I was hoping for

Before we all say 'sata drives can't handle it.... you need scsi' I want to make it clear that the program out records fine, main and preview fail all the time....they fail when i only have 1 capture module running.

Now I am a toaster newbie, so feel free to throw out "did you plug in the sx-84" because i am relatively stupid in this matter...and you never know:help:

m.d.
06-07-2007, 07:34 PM
p.s.
i did check cpu loads, and recording 2 streams were under 25%
quad core intel 6600, so i doubt that is the problem

Bushmsn
06-08-2007, 11:00 PM
Can you give us a little more info. What are you recording from? tape or from a clip your playing back. Are your drives striped?

m.d.
06-09-2007, 08:06 AM
recording from anything really....
i'm just experimenting right now...so i was recording 2 cameras and some ddr clips.
my drives are not striped, but i was recording each output(program, and main)to seperate drives

being that uncompressed is only 22 MB a second(well below the drives minimum) and my cpu load is only at 25%, i don't see why this is happening,unless it's some sort of I/O issue on the sata bus.

Bushmsn
06-09-2007, 01:39 PM
are your ddr clips on a different drive from the one your recording to? Also are you recording two inputs at the same time? How much Ram do you have?

PIZAZZ
06-10-2007, 07:56 AM
If your captures are failing when recording from the Main OUT then that is because of sync issues with the internal software TBCs. You lose a frame in the Main Out when you switch inputs on the Main Row.

If you have the checkbox checked that says

[] Stop When Frames Drop

Then turn that off. Since Main Out will always drop a frame as you switch inputs then you will have to live without that frame or two sometimes. I am only assuming you are trying to record a clean output without DSKs overlayed. This will be tough to do with your current configuration.

Not sure about the status of recording from Preview but I suspect it is the same. I will have to look into it.

Just to clarify a couple things.

You have 2 separate drives let's call them E: and F:
You set a capture panel to record Program Out to E:
You set a 2nd Capture Panel to record Main Out to F:
Is this correct?

Did you even try striping the drives and doing some tests?

Are you playing out anything from another DDR at the same time?

Are you just capturing live camera video?

More details of exactly what you are trying to accomplish would be very helpful.

m.d.
06-10-2007, 12:40 PM
Pizazz...
you are right about the drive configuration

Drive e: program out
Drive F: main out

Drive c,system
Drive z,DDR's

I have 4 gigs of ram installed
This would be recording live camera's and DDR's,3 cameras, maybe 2 ddr's

You are right, i would like to record main for a clean output with no bumpers.
I could live with a few dropped frames

PIZAZZ
06-11-2007, 10:54 AM
I have 4 gigs of ram installed
This would be recording live camera's and DDR's,3 cameras, maybe 2 ddr's

You are right, i would like to record main for a clean output with no bumpers.
I could live with a few dropped frames

4 gigs of ram on a WinXPpro 32bit system is not actually helping you in speed btw.

Keep in mind when you are playing a DDR you are using disc bandwidth.

1 stream of recording or playing on a single SATA drive is okay. Add 1 more play or record stream and you could be taxing a single drive.

To have a clean output with no DSK added then record the main out with the check box NOT selected to stop capture on dropped frames.

For what you want to do with the box reliably....

you need more hard drives and to put them in a stripe Raid0. I would recommend a minimum of 4 SATA drives with 16meg Cache. Physical size does not matter as much. Choose 250, 320, 500s whatever. You just need more of them to reliably do what you are asking VT to do.

Is this a system you built yourself or from an authorized NewTek reseller?

m.d.
06-11-2007, 09:23 PM
built myself...
i'm probably going to abandon the main out recoding idea