PDA

View Full Version : Intel Quad Core Extreme / nForce 680 Boards / Overclocking

Matt
06-07-2007, 11:10 AM
I can't remember which of you lot out there have an Intel Quad Core Extreme / nForce 680 Board combination, but I'm wondering a few things:

Who has successfully overclocked (using air cooling) this combination?

Which method did you use in the BIOS?

My Striker Extreme has several ways of overclocking. I tried the +5, +10, +15 performance percentage boosts, but my PC stopped booting on +15.

You can tweak the hell out of the Striker but three things worry me:

- Heat
- Component damage due to overstressing the system
- System stability

What are your experiences with this?

Cheers
Matt

Stooch
06-07-2007, 05:37 PM
just keep track of your temps and you should be fine. look on the forums of people with that chipset and see what the max stable temp is. i use all zalman for my rig. works great.

Matt
06-07-2007, 05:56 PM
Have you OC your rig?

Andyjaggy
06-07-2007, 07:57 PM
I don't have the quad core but I have the same motherboard. I overclocked mine from 2.4 to 2.7 and have had not problems. It still runs super cool and and the voltages are still within spec. I just upped the FSB speed a little to overclock it.

zapper1998
06-07-2007, 08:12 PM
what is the MOB # and Manufacturer??? Matt

Stooch
06-07-2007, 09:20 PM
Have you OC your rig?

yes i have oced my fx60 slightly but my stuff is tuned for silence so im not really looking for overclocking. i also prefer stability. sure you can save a few seconds with OC but you crash once and lose work and your gains kinda get nullified. of course of you test your setup with prime95 etc for a good amount of time and it pops up no errors then you should be safe. im just not patient for that kind of stuff.

Matt
06-08-2007, 06:07 AM
what is the MOB # and Manufacturer??? Matt

According to the nVidia Control Panel version 1.0 ASUS Striker Extreme

Andyjaggy
06-08-2007, 06:57 AM
Wow that is hot. I love my 6600, overclocked it still only runs at a high 30 at full load :)

JML
06-08-2007, 08:54 AM
After reading a little about overclocking this thing, it seems that you can get a stable overclock at 3.2GHz, but on air cooling it will run at around 70+C and get very close to having the thermal speed throttling kick in, effectively killing the overclock.

Bottom line is that the QX6700 isn't very well suited at overclocking, but it's definitely possible if you feel adventurous. :)

did you try the huge zalman heatsink ? (the 120mm big copper donut)
I think that would help a lot.. or water cooling I guess...

I'm getting a quad 6600 with the 8800GTX too,
(the extreme was too expensive for me :) )
I will have a asus motherboard but I'm not thinking about overclocking it
this time.. maybe later...
but the heatsink I will have is :
http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/ProductImages/1260_1.jpg
I'm hopping it will be good for overclocking later..

what heatsink do you have matt ?

Matt
06-08-2007, 09:50 AM
I have a Zalman Aero Flower fan, inside a Coolermaster 830 EVO case (lots of vents). It has a door in one side that you could fill with fans if you like, I have one pointing at my GFX card.

What are everyone elses temps for the Quad Core Extreme?

At idle mine is 54 45 55 45 (each core respectively.

mouse_art
06-08-2007, 05:56 PM
yeah but a home user should not go down to these temps, practically is 10Celsius ok, because after that you will get problems with condense water(sure not the biggest problem, but after all a quad core is not the cheapest thing. ;) (besides the vapochill isn't cheap either.)

Have a quad 6600 and with watercooling, im fine with that(not overclocked, not yet)( big radiator with 3 120mm fans, but at extreme low rpm, a mosquito at near distance makes more noise. :P