PDA

View Full Version : Current VT4.XX supported Hardware List?

digitweak
06-06-2007, 11:03 PM
Its been a while since my last post ..almost 6 years.

:help:The old dual cpu Tyan (2X2400 AMD) system in need of a rebuild.
I cant seem to find a recommended list of components for my VT4.6 system. Im looking to buy a new motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3) , cpu (ntel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz) , memory (CORSAIR XMS2 4 x 1GB) and try and use my existing seagate sata II drives (4X400gb) with a decent graphics card .. nvidia 6800 or better, or possibly an ATI X1950 . Am I heading the right direction ? We'r not doing any capture or realtime broadcast work. And we do have a small budget . All the parts listed above will cost around $1000 total. Im re using the existing VT card and Antec server case (500watt ps). And hoping to run WinXP this time (the old system was Win2k)

thanks in advance
[email protected]
steve lennox

Jim_C
06-06-2007, 11:12 PM
I 'believe' the 975 chipset is a bit more of a sweet spot for the VT board.

At least that is what I have seen many dealers using and what I used for the latest VT install. So far so great.

I used the same proc, seems fine.

The 4 gigs is overkill for the XP that VT needs to run on currently but a nice future proofer.

I would suggest at least a 7 series card. They are so inexpensive now. I used a XFX 7600gt, was like 130 bucks.

I would say 500w 'might' be a little slim, but since it's an Antec I would trust it no problem.

All just my opinions based on self VT building and maintaing of quite a few boxes,and , probably more than I should, forum reading.

Jim

Jim_C
06-07-2007, 02:03 PM
fwiw.. This is the board I just used...

http://www.intel.com/products/motherboard/D975XBX2/index.htm

I've only been testing it for 4 days, but I have had it running VT 24/7 and hammering at it with all I have. So far solid.

This box is going in the bossman's house, so I REALLY want to make sure it holds up solidly before I turn it over to him.

digitweak
06-07-2007, 06:22 PM
Thanks bro...... Ill check it out. I'm a AMD fan myself, haven't build an Intel box in 3 years or so....between the Intels and AMDs, there are so many different chip sets and processors out there now.
Strange that I cant find a single bit of support online (NewTek site) to read up on.....and refer to.

peace
steve

digitweak
06-07-2007, 06:55 PM
I 'believe' the 975 chipset is a bit more of a sweet spot for the VT board.

The 4 gigs is overkill for the XP that VT needs to run on currently but a nice future proofer.

I would suggest at least a 7 series card. They are so inexpensive now. I used a XFX 7600gt, was like 130 bucks.

Jim

The 1GB sticks of ram come in pairs (for the best prices anyhow), and Im aware of the 3GB limit on XP 32bit. I do have a copy of Win2000 Advanced server... should we just stay in the Win2k arena? Advanced Server will handle 8GB of ram ....

Jim_C
06-07-2007, 07:23 PM
There was someone who asked about 2k server awhile back.
I am really pulling from my memory here, but a Newtek rep, I ...think... Paul had replied that because of 'insert reason here' 2k server wasn't quite suited for it.

I tried a quick search but 'Lara, insert reason here didn't bring up much..... ;)

You could always do a dual boot of XP and server. If server works great, if not, you always have XP and not have to reformat, install.

Jim