PDA

View Full Version : Quick UV help

Skinner3D
06-06-2007, 03:07 PM
The images show my problem. I have the UV all set up and placed. Open GL in layout puts the texture on the object, but in the render the surface doesn't show up it is only the base color. I added my surface settings, I don't if they will help at all
:help:

MSherak
06-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Check to see if the image is 32bit.. If so you might have an alpha that is the whole image... Surfaces use the alpha channel of an image.. Should be easy to test.. If the image is 32bit, in the image editor turn off the alpha for the image..

Skinner3D
06-09-2007, 07:49 AM
:D It worked. I was working off the cell phone tutorial from Inside Lightwave 8 and it said to make it a 32 bit image. For future reference do I keep using 32 and turning off the alpha, or is there an easier way? :confused: :)

Giacomo99
06-09-2007, 08:00 AM
Just FYI, it doesn't look like there was any reason for you to use UV mapping in this case...planar would've worked just as well.

It's very rare that one actually needs to use UV mapping when texturing hard-surface objects.

bloontz
06-09-2007, 09:25 AM
:D It worked. I was working off the cell phone tutorial from Inside Lightwave 8 and it said to make it a 32 bit image. For future reference do I keep using 32 and turning off the alpha, or is there an easier way? :confused: :)
Often you will want to use an alpha to comp a graphic over a procedural or other surface. Depends on what you are trying to do. You must decide if you need an alpha or not.

Dodgy
06-09-2007, 11:25 AM
Only if you want to mix a texture with one below it do you use an alpha (or in the game industry where it's used to determine transparency).