PDA

View Full Version : 3d Models

v1u1ant
06-06-2007, 04:18 AM
Ok so theres a bunch of sites out there with models you can buy and a fair few models for free.
But whats the general line on these 'market place' models. Do any of you use them as say a source for your base models? Or does everyone just go ahead and make there own models from scratch?

Im only asking cos in a corporate environment where timelines are always squeezed down its sometimes quicker (in the opinion of those higher up than me) to buy a pre-made model where we only have to tweak.

In my opinion this sucks, but hey i aint discovered utopia yet either (except when im working in LW:)). Id prefer to make all my own models, even if it takes a little longer.

Whats all your opinions?

brian.coates
06-06-2007, 06:21 AM
Personally I've found that most download-able objects, (that I want to use) have to be converted from another format, which generally screws them up to the point that you may as well have taken the time build them yourself anyway.

Most of the time I just use free models as a guide to create my own.

JamesCurtis
06-06-2007, 11:44 AM
I've actually found 3rd party models to come in handy. If you have at your disposal a GOOD 3D object converter [not the LW native converter] you can get pretty good results from most objects.

As I'm sure you've found out, free models generally aren't as good as the ones you pay for. But there are some sources in which models are very inexpensive.

I also have Poser so I can use models from http://www.daz3d.com or http://contentparadise.com. Both sites have free weekly model offerings and club memberships that only cost a few dollars per month to join to get heavy discounts. They have proven worth it, IMO.

That said, I don't mind modeling, but if something exists already, I first try to see if it CAN be used. There are plenty of times when I HAVE to model something because there is no other alternative!

Sometimes you don't need to re-invent the wheel!!

starbase1
06-07-2007, 05:42 AM
I'd say that in general the problem is that quality ids not cheap. But there are a couple of exceptions.

Some years back I bough 2 books, each with a large number of models on the attached CD's, that I think were originally from Espona? I got the books in cheapy bookshops, so that was great value. There's not that many I have used, but they are occasionally great.

The other one is that I do use Daz3d and Renderosity for Poser content, (generally for exporting to Ligtwave). You have to dig through a lot of mediocre or worse stuff, but the best stuff is excellent value, and very handy.

v1u1ant
06-08-2007, 07:04 AM
thanks for your comments:)