PDA

View Full Version : I can get no… Rolling Stones!

ben martin
06-06-2007, 03:10 AM
Hi,

I try and I try and I try… and I can get no… rolling stones!

As usual my "3D" artists friends (that are migrating to other packages) keep telling me how bad Lightwave is when compared with they're new software packages and as usual I keep telling them that they are wrong.
One of them, (previous Lightwave user) used to work with Lightwave particles told me how poor and bad is the dynamic/particle systems in Lightwave and to justify such he presented several reasons.

Again, as usual, I don't have much time to loose and prove them wrong but this time I proposed to myself a very simple (I thought it was simple) but very clarifying exercise.

I am using the Lightwave dynamic engine to create a big rock falling from the sky and crash/landing on the top of a hill and make it roll down the hill till a full stop.
Of course that it should drag other small stones down the hill as well.

Well, to start it I set the collision "ON" to the hill landscape mesh and to the (falling from sky) rock.
Also set gravity "ON" to the falling rock.
The results are not what I expected.
The falling rock is too slow, but hits the hill jumping and bouncing like a ball.
I tried to find out how to make it stop from bouncing but found no parameters to avoid such fx.
I know that it is my entire fault and I'm reading the manual to understand how to fix and use the dynamic Lightwave engine options but because I'm not a VFX dynamic/particle expert I'm not sure what is the best way to accomplish such exercise (simple object "mesh" collisions or the particle system).

I tried a particle generator (generating a single particle - the idea it to replace the particle by the rock object mesh) but it seems that I can't make the rock dynamically to roll along the self axis correctly to replicate a correct roll down the hill.
Also, the rock is not totally spherical and because of such the rock mesh clips against the hill mesh.

Oh, boy!!! Any suggestions about the best approach to solve this simple (I tough) exercise?

Many thanks for your time and interest.

PS- English is not my primary language, sorry if I was not clear enough!

ben martin
06-06-2007, 04:07 AM
He...he...he... never mind, I just found the solution! :hey:

Many thanks for reading anyway! :thumbsup:
After all done I might post the "AVI" example.

Cheers.

ben martin
06-06-2007, 08:14 AM
Ok, here you have my Rolling Stone! :)
Don't expect much, it was made "toon" style and I didn't bother to add particle emiters to simulate small rocks falling after the big rock impacts.

Anyway, it's good enough form me and proves that Lightwave does what's needed.

It was the first time that I tested/used the HardFX/CollisionFX tool.
If I can do this at my first time imagine an experienced LW artist! :thumbsup:

lesterfoster
06-06-2007, 03:20 PM
nice job. looks good

Silkrooster
06-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Glad you figured it out. I know it can be hard to argue with someone, when you don't have the experience yet for a certain feature. My guess is they left LW, before ver. 8. so they would not know of what LW is capable of doing.
BTW it does not matter what someone else says, only what you feel in your heart to be right. :thumbsup:
Take care,
Silk

ben martin
06-06-2007, 06:59 PM
He...he, thanks for the comments and yup, it really doesn't matter what people say only what you can do... and preferably do it right using Lightwave! :agree:

Thank you all! :lwicon:

suteibu
06-19-2009, 11:11 AM
I am new to dynamics. I am just trying to get the rock to hit the ground while the ground stands still. I'd love to know the answer to this and to Ben Martin's original problem.