PDA

View Full Version : Work Station and Render Station Specs

MLynch
06-05-2007, 10:11 PM
I'm proposing an in-house CG dept and I just want to get some feedback on what specs I should consider for a Mac-based primary work station, and a Mac-based render station.

I figure that the render station should be higher performance so that I can tunr out renders more quickly, but I'd love to hear your thoughts.

kopperdrake
06-06-2007, 07:09 AM
To be honest, I'd give each artist a dual quad core Mac Pro running at 3.0Ghz, which can each then be used on the renderfarm as and when free. For every work station sat idle at night you will end up with the equivalent of 8 CPUs added to the render farm. A fast work station will also speed up test renders when working so I'd say speed is of the essence all round really, and if they're the same boxes then all the better :)

As for network rendering solutions, I'm not so hot on those as I've only just switched to Macs myself - but if there's something similar to the old PC plugin ScreamSaver, then as soon as a Mac is idle once an artist has left it, the screen saver kicks in and it gets added to the rendering network. I need to look into that myself sometime :)

kopperdrake
06-06-2007, 07:12 AM
I should have added though, I guess it all depends on the workload you're likely to put on the rendering farm and how many aritsts there are going to be. If it's one artist (and their solitary Mac Pro) churning out loads of animations then I guess you may be under-Mac'd, in which case I'd still plump for the dual quad core Mac as additional rendering power. I think someone worked out that the 3.0Ghz version was as cost-effective as the 2.66Ghz version when cost per CPU was taken into account? Or was the 2.66Ghz the sweet spot?