PDA

View Full Version : Memory Errors

Andyjaggy
06-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Well I finally have run into memory issues in LW. "Not enough memory" "Polys will be rendered as faces" etc..... I check the system and have plenty of memory available. I'm just thankful it continues to work after I click okay on the error messages.

zatara
06-05-2007, 07:38 PM
I am also having this problem. This is also happen when I try to increase render subpatch level.

Sensei
06-05-2007, 08:44 PM
Well I finally have run into memory issues in LW. "Not enough memory" "Polys will be rendered as faces" etc..... I check the system and have plenty of memory available. I'm just thankful it continues to work after I click okay on the error messages.

Open Task Manager, Process tab, then enable Show Virtual Memory Usage column.. and you should see that you have reached 2 GB memory limit for lightwav.exe process..

What resolution image are you rendering?

While rendering f.e. 4096x4096 texture, baking surface, your frame buffer can be even up to 670 MB of memory (usually end up in virtual, so you don't see it in Task Manager without show virtual memory usage column enabled).. This is what you can get back rendering in VirtualRender..

Andyjaggy
06-05-2007, 09:09 PM
No I'm not even close to the 2 GB limit. I still had about 800 mb free. I closed layout and restarted and the problem went away.

jasonwestmas
06-05-2007, 09:14 PM
No I'm not even close to the 2 GB limit. I still had about 800 mb free. I closed layout and restarted and the problem went away.

Yep, I get the same problem and when I restart layout I can often render even more polygons than I could start with by increasing the sub-D level. There's never any consistency on this issue concering polygon subdivision. Is this the nature of the beast?

Jarno
06-05-2007, 09:16 PM
So you had 800MB free. Maybe LW tried to allocate 801MB and failed. Just because there is nnnMB it doesn't follow that it should not run out of memory.

---JvdL---

Sensei
06-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Sounds like something is trashing memory, leaving memory not freed.. After this happening app can't no longer allocate one big memory area.. It was big problem in AmigaOS which had no virtual memory than can be used instead..

Jarno
06-05-2007, 09:50 PM
It could also be a memory fragmentation issue. Enough memory free in total, but it's all in small pieces from which the memory manager can't create a single block large enough. That would also explain why the problem goes away after restarting LW.

---JvdL---

jasonwestmas
06-05-2007, 11:38 PM
I probably have this problem then Jarno. I suppose the only option is to reinstall my os? No fear there, since it would be a good idea anyway after 3 years of using windows without reinstall. Pretty impressive for windows. But I do have a lot of apps on this thing ;)

Thomas M.
06-06-2007, 02:20 AM
I'm not really suprised that this is still an, or probably I'm suprised that NT didn't fiqure out a way to avoid it since they rewrote the render-engine. It has always been a mess in LW, but hopefully won't be forever.

I remember doing stuff in Strata on a 256MB Mac way back in the beginning of all this. No problems, never, even with huge rendere sizes. Unfortunately LW never managed, even now, to run as smoothly in this field.

Even if you manage to start your render, sometimes the pixel or image filters will crash your final render before saving, because they run out of memory. Big misery.

Tip 1: Save scene, close LW and start to render immediately after re-opening LW.

Tip 2: Display and render Sub-Patch level need to be the same. Everything gets slow, but LW is able to render much more polygons without crashing. Otherwise LW needs much more memory to subpatch a copy of the displayed object for rendering and will run into memory problems.

Unfortunately the problem described above will start a chain of error messages which always lead to a crash of LW. IMO bad programming as everything is lost and can't be recovered (at least the stuff you changed since last saving).

Hopefully this issue won't be there for very much longer. NT, please solve this. Should be on your list since 5.6 or even longer. I don't get why nobody cared to find a solution yet. Especially when 9.x comes up with all this new rewritten code.

Cheers
Thomas

Jarno
06-06-2007, 04:25 AM
I suppose the only option is to reinstall my os?

Nononono. That would be like rebuilding your house because the garbage bin is full. This has nothing to do with what's on disk. Memory fragmentation is purely a problem with the state of the memory used by an application. Simply restarting the application clears it up.

---JvdL---

jasonwestmas
06-06-2007, 08:22 AM
Nononono. That would be like rebuilding your house because the garbage bin is full. This has nothing to do with what's on disk. Memory fragmentation is purely a problem with the state of the memory used by an application. Simply restarting the application clears it up.

---JvdL---

Okay then, thanks for telling me, I know what to expect now. Software is filled with little quirks and each app has it's own. I'm willing to accept that fact of life.