PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave render to widescreen DVD

Enfade
06-05-2007, 03:58 PM
I'm having a bit of a problem with knowing how to get digital work in the right proportions. I'm currently an intern at a small company where i'm the only one with any digital design experience. (long story short, the project was just waaaayy too cool too pass up on) I'm creating a complete DVD for childeren with animations. These animations form the bulk of the main movie. We have chosen to make a widescreen DVD.
But my problem lies with proportions. I'm making the master in Adobe Encore but as most authoring software this works with the standard ratio of 720x576 (im in the netherlands so i work with PAL instead of NTSC) and to make widescreen we use a pixel aspect ratio of 1,422.
My problem is. What resolution do i need to make my scenes. Or for that matter, should i change the camera resolution within lightwave layout. In short. How should i set up my lightwave to render the scenes so that i can use them in my production.

Thanks in advance.

Wonderpup
06-06-2007, 02:42 AM
Widescreen in Pal is a bit of a cheat really, as the actual number of pixels are same as for 4/3- all that happens is the aspect ratio 'squshes' the pixels so that when shown on widescreen they come out looking right. I just use the Pal widescreen option in Lightwave, which gives a widescreen format in the viewports, so you can see your safe areas. Your rendered images will look a bit distorted viewed on a monitor, but will look ok on widescreen.

ColinSmith
06-06-2007, 03:28 AM
Yes, just choose the PAL widescreen camera default in Layout and it will all work out fine.

lesterfoster
06-06-2007, 03:43 AM
Widescreen in Pal is a bit of a cheat really, as the actual number of pixels are same as for 4/3- all that happens is the aspect ratio 'squshes' the pixels so that when shown on widescreen they come out looking right.

How do they do HDTV in PAL. Is it the same as in north america?

ColinSmith
06-06-2007, 09:25 AM
PAL HD is the same pixel sizes but at 25fps, for broadcast anyhow.