PDA

View Full Version : TriCaster STUDIO Tally Lights

oufan_DJ
06-05-2007, 03:29 PM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/images/smilies/brians/help.gifI'm new with tricaster, but I'm trying to find tally lights that will work with Tricaster Studio. If you know of any, please post back. Thanks :help:

NOTE: The wiring diagram is illustrated below.

animlab
06-07-2007, 02:33 AM
Did you own a TriCaster Studio? I suppose NewTek is not ready to ship them yet.

oufan_DJ
06-07-2007, 07:31 AM
No I ordered one from B&H. I'm on the waiting list for one. I wanted to get some tally lights that would work with the tricaster when they shipped it to me.

jamestownhodag
06-07-2007, 02:35 PM
www.youngmonkey.ca

Wink
06-12-2007, 09:23 AM
OU fan.
Please check your Private Messages.
Wink

animlab
07-04-2007, 11:57 PM
I receive a demo unit of TriCaster Studio from NewTek last week. Sorry that there is no Tolly connector on TriCaster Studio.
If you need to connect to external tally light, you have to modify the TricasterStudio's BOB board and that will void the warrantee.

animlab
07-05-2007, 12:04 AM
My fault, there are six little phono plugs beside the tally lights and they are the tolly light connectors of TC Studio.

animlab
07-05-2007, 12:07 AM
I would say that I like the old tally design of SX-8 that are more easier to make the interface for the external tally device without lots of connectors and cables.

Paul Lara
07-05-2007, 11:24 AM
The TriCaster studio tally connectors are actually more flexible than what's on SX-8!

STUDIO can either provide a contact closure like the SX-8, but it can also provide a hot 3v lead to power tally LEDs.

animlab
07-06-2007, 03:54 AM
Paul, can you send me a electronic diagram of the Studio tally port?
[email protected]

Paul Lara
07-06-2007, 09:05 AM
I'll get that from Hardware, Chen.

doc debolt
07-15-2007, 09:46 AM
I am going to rig up an LED tally light system as well for a TCS setup, can you pass that along to me as well??

Thanks in advance!

doc

mmproduc
07-21-2007, 03:02 PM
We have developed some tally lights for the studio. Our engineer will be back into town this evening. I will have him post pictures and pricing.

Jim Brown
07-24-2007, 10:03 AM
We have a passive tally light system working with TriCaster Studio. It uses cat5 cable from the Studio to the camera or light location. We are continuing to test the distances, but I can run 100 ft consistently with no problem.

The kit consists of an adapter cable from the Studio and the light itself. The light is mounted in a very small box with both camera shoe support and velcro. The price for a single light kit will be $79. You simply add cat5 cable as needed.

We will supply a repeater box that will accomdate longer cable runs. Don't know price yet, but should be very affordable.

We think we will be able to ship these by end of August. I will post pictures as soon as we get assembled units. I expect those by the end of the month.

We are still working on supported cable distances that will determine whether you need the repeater.

We are also making an xlr version which would allow the use of mike cables and have explored using a coax version. I would like to hear from people as to their preferences. Each has pluses and minuses. We really like the cat5 cable, but voltage drop is an issue.

Jim
M&M Productions USA
Tricaster reseller

Paul Lara
08-21-2007, 10:32 AM
Here is the Diagram
An LED may be driven by connecting it across the ring and sleeve connections directly (no external current limiting resistors needed). The LED anode should be connected to the ring and cathode to the sleeve. Current is limited to 25mA (0.025 amps).

doc debolt
08-21-2007, 03:48 PM
sweet - thanx paul!

Subcool77
03-31-2008, 08:11 PM
I have proven 750ft on Cat5 without a repeater. We have Two 200ft cat5 that we have used for the last two weeks without an issue. I just used the 1/8" (3.5mm) female jacks from an old PCI audio board. One thing i must warn, I used 1/8" to RCA adapters and just cut the RCA's off. All four adapters were wired different. If you use a stereo 1/8" male to plug into the Tri-Caster tally outlet, you end up with power on the tip and on the middle ring, nothing on the back ring. 5v DC is what I measured at the tally outlet and at 200ft. And just for fun I found the other end of the cat5 still in the box. Plugged in the LEDs and they glowed just as bright as on a 2ft 1/8" extension.

Good Luck and God Bless

CreatvGnius
04-01-2008, 12:15 AM
...One thing i must warn, I used 1/8" to RCA adapters and just cut the RCA's off.Hi, Subcool. Really interested in picturing just what you conveyed in this intriguing post. Very useful stuff you've got here, but a bit more clarity would help thick-headed folk like myself...

[Do you mean you created cables (1/8" male to 1/8" male, using CAT 5 for the conductor, and 1/8" male plugs at each end, from re-engineered metal 1/8" male to RCA female adaptors, after removing that female end? Or do you mean something other than that?

All four adapters were wired different.

[You wired each of the 4 tally cables] "differently"? If so, in what way, and for what reason?

If you use a stereo 1/8" male to plug into the Tri-Caster tally outlet, you end up with power on the tip and on the middle ring, nothing on the back ring. 5v DC is what I measured...
Very useful info, indeed.

... And just for fun I found the other end of the cat5 still in the box. Not sure why that was fun, because I'm not clear what you mean. Are you making a statement about the box the CAT5 cable had shipped in, before you purchased it or...?

Do know that despite some fuzziness in comprehending (I'm more of a graphical learner) we appreciate your having shared your experiment with us thus far. If you believe it might help, we welcome any additional images you might post here for further clarity.

Good Luck and God Bless Clearly, these two expressions are mutually exclusive, yet I'll gladly embrace the latter, with genuine thankfulness, to you-ward, Subcool!
:thumbsup:
-PeterG

ted
04-01-2008, 10:12 AM
Pete, for those of us who don't want to re-invent the wheel, just call Jef at Pizazz and he'll set you up. Yeh, you'll pay a few bucks, but it'll work from the get go.
FWIW, the CAT-5 set-up he's building for us will supply component video, Audio from the camera, PA communication and Tally light to the intercom box. He said he can also run a 1/4" cable from the intercom box to the camera, but I'll use this for now.

CreatvGnius
04-01-2008, 10:54 AM
FWIW, the CAT-5 set-up he's building for us will supply component video, Audio from the camera, PA communication and Tally light to the intercom box. He said he can also run a 1/4" cable from the intercom box to the camera, but I'll use this for now. Wow, Ted. That sounds huge. I won't rule out this option, especially when longer runs become a requirement for us.
-PeterG

Subcool77
04-04-2008, 04:15 PM
You say Jeff at Pizazz is running Component video unshielded in a Cat5 twisted pair with signal loss?
Do you think a Clear Com system would work on this same Cat5?

Subcool77
04-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Sorry about that, my wife gives me a hard time about that too. My brain works faster than my mouth and fingers.
I don't have any pictures of it, but the 1/8" to male RCA adapters (an ipod to RCA line in). The red,white male RCA ends are cut off. The core and shield are what I was referring to, being wired differently from the manufacturer. The two shields of the RCA end should be the same conductor at the 1/8" end. I would suggest buying all the adapters from the same manufacture. Yes, it is not from the novice, what I propose, but it is curtainly cheaper. You must check continuity on your wires to find the correct part of the 1/8" male end that wire is connected to. I would suggest going to radio slack and just buy solder on 1/8" ends.

As far as fun, well idk. I was just testing the limit and I had 750 ft of Cat5e left in the box. I opened it and found the other end. I soldered on both 1/8" ends I had made up and tested that tally light. there was no difference in illumination with 750ft versus 2ft.

I like the thought of one cable doing everything. We are a portable church that has been setting up and tearing down every Sunday. (gracepoint.com) The less wire the better.

Subcool77
04-04-2008, 04:31 PM
picture of 1/8" (3.5mm) to RCA

Wink
04-04-2008, 08:16 PM
Hey Subcool. This is Wink from WinkAV. I sold GracePoint their TriCaster and I'm very interested in what you've developed. Could you drop me a PM and give me some info about yourself?

Subcool77
04-04-2008, 10:19 PM
Long time no see wink. I am Perry's side kick.

ted
04-04-2008, 10:36 PM
You say Jeff at Pizazz is running Component video unshielded in a Cat5 twisted pair with signal loss?
Do you think a Clear Com system would work on this same Cat5?

He's done enough of this dual CAT-5 cable with success. Haven't heard of any downside. For storage it will be nice to have it all in a single sleeve since I'm getting 4 100', and 6 200' cables.

We got the EconoCom series intercom that has some cross capabilities with Clear Com? It's a 6 headset system with 2 channel talk for separating the director when needed.
It came today!!! 3 days before Jef promised. CAT-5 should be in on Monday. I?ll let you know how the whole CAT-5 system works.

MeseSmith
05-07-2008, 01:38 PM
I am working with the Canon XL2's and I also have the Zr-1000 Zoom Remote Controller that uses the 2.5mm trs jack, How do I configure the cable/studio to work in conjunction with the ZR-1000 and the Studio?

Dub2Dat
10-27-2008, 02:48 PM
Here is the Diagram
An LED may be driven by connecting it across the ring and sleeve connections directly (no external current limiting resistors needed). The LED anode should be connected to the ring and cathode to the sleeve. Current is limited to 25mA (0.025 amps).

Hey Paul,

Could you use several LED's on one tally light line to create a larger display? And would you wire the LED's in series or parallel?

ZachSchuster
10-27-2008, 07:28 PM
I'll just insert myself into the discussion here.

I am using some older pro cameras with CCU's... Hitachi C10A cameras to be specific, and RU-C1 CCU's. They are connected with 28-pin multicore cables.

I'm looking at getting a Tricaster Studio. Would it be possible to tie in the Tricaster tally output to the CCU's tally input?

PIZAZZ
11-02-2008, 06:05 PM
I'll just insert myself into the discussion here.

I am using some older pro cameras with CCU's... Hitachi C10A cameras to be specific, and RU-C1 CCU's. They are connected with 28-pin multicore cables.

I'm looking at getting a Tricaster Studio. Would it be possible to tie in the Tricaster tally output to the CCU's tally input?

Yes. with those ccus I believe you will need a relay box between the tricaster and ccu. i have them available.

silverfox161255
11-16-2008, 08:15 PM
Heres a thought for you, we use rear LED cycle lamps as tally displays on our vt5/Z1's and they work a treat. Because they are high output we have removed 2 of the origanal leds from the assembly. Add 1 load resister and you have a very proffessional tally. I will taks a picture and post here.
Steve
:)

lotus126
02-27-2009, 03:31 PM
Hello, i work with Datavideo intercom ITC100.
The handbook of datavideo ITC 100 explains the correspondence of the pin of the connector:

"Contact closure between the relevant Pin number and ground will illuminate theLED. For example on Tally A, if Pin 1 is connected to Pin 4 the RED LED will light up on Channel 1; if Pin 13 is connected to Pin 4 the AMBER LED will light up on Channel 3.

Tally A Input

The Tally A Input will send Tally Information to Channels 1 ~ 4. The following tableshows the pin numbers for each channel:
Pins 4, 9 and 14 can be used as ground.
Pin 1 = channel 1 led red
Pin 6 = channel 2 led red
Pin 11 = channel 3 led red
Pin 5 = channel 4 led red

Tally B Input

The Tally B Input will send Tally Information to Channels 5 ~ 8. The following table shows the pin numbers for each channel:
Pins 4, 9 and 14 can be used as ground.
Pin 1 = channel 1 led red
Pin 6 = channel 2 led red
Pin 11 = channel 3 led red
Pin 5 = channel 4 led red

It's possible to send a simple electric schedule to me in order to connect the tally out of the Tricaster to the connector intercom of Datavideo ITC100?
You can explain the polarity of the escapes tally of the Tricaster?
It's very important for urgent work.
Thank's a lot.

pro---studio
02-27-2009, 04:50 PM
Hi,

maybe this is interesting for you:

We have KABELTRONIK a professional cable company in germany that sells realy fancy cables like:

Video, CAT5, Audio and power through one cable. Check this:

http://www.kabeltronik.de/produkte.php?id=58

http://www.kabeltronik.de/kategorie.php?cat=17

They have many other configurations. Maybe there is something you like. They are really professionals and equip big TV-Stations here in germany.

Regards

Pro

tedkazm
04-26-2009, 04:46 PM
If you haven't solved your TriCaster Tally Light problem, Check out www.tally-lights.com

thomhartmann
10-10-2009, 04:16 PM
I'm trying to put 5 v LEDs on as tally lights for our new Tricaster Studio, and used mono 1/8" plugs, sleeve and tip. Don't have a VOM handy, but I'm getting nothing from the LEDs (tried several different types). Do I need to use stereo 1/8" plugs and use ring and tip, ignoring sleeve? (Seems like that from a previous post?) Or do I need a different voltage LEDs or a resistor inline?

jcupp
10-10-2009, 06:20 PM
Stereo plugs Sleeve and Ring - no resistor, I don't remember polarity off the top of my head.

thomhartmann
10-10-2009, 09:22 PM
Thanks so much, Steve! Back to Radio Shack... <g>

Thom

tedkazm
10-11-2009, 06:14 AM
Visit www.tally-lights.com

I have direct plug-in tally lights for the Tricaster Studio & Broadcaster.

Ted Kazmierczak

jcupp
10-13-2009, 10:37 AM
Digital Arts will be ship a new tally light system for the TriCaster and VT towards the end of November.

Controller:
Six outputs plus a seventh Aux output for the VT this will eventually be software assignable on the TC but not in version 1.0 of the software.

Two GPI outputs that trigger on any change of the Program or Effects bus respectively. So you can trigger external devices.

Lights:
The lights will also work with our old controllers (TLC-3) or directly with the TC Studio and Broadcast and are sold separately.

Individual status indicators for Program preview and Effects buses, software controllable 'Talent' LED, intercom pass through and more.
The TLC-6 controller connects via USB to the TC or VT.

The Tally Light One light has both RJ-45 for connecting to the TLC-6 and a 3.5mm Phone jack for connecting to the TriCaster Studio or Broadcast (no controller needed but you only get the Program LED).

TLC-6 $350
Tally Light One $30
Available from Digital Arts or your local dealer.

More details:
TLC-6 Controller: http://www.digarts.com/tally_light_controller_tlc-6
Tally Light One: http://www.digarts.com/tally_light_one

http://www.digarts.com/images/big/TallySet.jpg

We've had these in the works for a while and are just waiting for our manufacturer.

Dub2Dat
10-13-2009, 02:11 PM
To Digital Arts:

Does your TCS system include a means to do tally lights and camera intercom on the same system?

Can you explain how the intercom works?

Thanks.

Paul Lara
10-13-2009, 03:12 PM
I have direct plug-in tally lights for the Tricaster Studio & Broadcaster.
Ted Kazmierczak

...and we're using Ted's tally lights in the NewTek studio, and loving them.

jcupp
10-13-2009, 03:58 PM
To Digital Arts:

Does your TCS system include a means to do tally lights and camera intercom on the same system?

Can you explain how the intercom works?

Thanks.

There is an XLR connector on my box that is wired to three lines on the 'Ethernet' cable we use. You connect your existing intercom system to this and the tally signals and the intercom can share the cable. At the other end our tally lights have a 3.5mm stereo phone jack that can then be wired to your intercom belt pack.

I hope to be able to provide adapter cables for this so you don't have to make your own. It should work with any "two wire" intercom system such as those from Telex and ClearCom.

There are some limitations as to number of belt pack that can be used and how long the cables can be due to limitations of Cat5 cable. I'm still in the process of testing so I'll have those specs firmed up in the next couple of weeks.

The intercom lines are shared by the contact closure outputs so you have to choose (via jumpers) on an output by output basis whether you need intercom or contact closure. My thinking is that if you need contact closure it's because your using CCUs and most CCUs have intercom built in so it's not a problem giving up the intercom connection.

There are wiring diagrams for the TLC-6 here:
http://www.digarts.com/tally_light_controller_tlc-6

and for the lights here:
http://www.digarts.com/tally_light_one

Hit the images tab for pictures and wiring diagrams.

cezaryg
04-28-2010, 10:34 AM
Currently I bought a set of 3 of those DigitalArts made tally lights for my TC Broadcast. They're very affordable, neat and very high quality. Here is the link to the manufacturer: http://www.digarts.com/tally_light_one

I wish those tally lights would work with the XD high-def TriCaster series rigs (currently they are not interfacing with the TCXDs).

Cezary

tedkazm
04-28-2010, 03:16 PM

I have Tally Lights that work with the Tricaster TCXD-300.

Ted

Yeusef
07-17-2011, 08:18 PM
I am looking for tally on my 6 Marshall monitor's from a Studio. They are in 2 banks of 3 monitors. They each have three color tally lights. Their model number is V-R43P . Direct Link is http://www.lcdracks.com/racks/model/V-R43P.php

They have a "DB-15" Connector on the back and they explain the pinout in their manual. Anyone have an idea on where i could get a DB-15 connector and cable. I can manage attaching the ends.

I also know that the fancy tally systems will use 3 color's of LED's. Are any of the systems discussed ready to make use of these monitor 3 color tally lights? Here is a snippet from the manual that describes the use of the tally light.

PIZAZZ
07-18-2011, 09:34 AM
I am looking for tally on my 6 Marshall monitor's from a Studio. They are in 2 banks of 3 monitors. They each have three color tally lights. Their model number is V-R43P . Direct Link is http://www.lcdracks.com/racks/model/V-R43P.php

They have a "DB-15" Connector on the back and they explain the pinout in their manual. Anyone have an idea on where i could get a DB-15 connector and cable. I can manage attaching the ends.

I also know that the fancy tally systems will use 3 color's of LED's. Are any of the systems discussed ready to make use of these monitor 3 color tally lights? Here is a snippet from the manual that describes the use of the tally light.

Talk to Jeff Cupp at Digital Arts. His interface box will do exactly what you are looking for.

http://www.digarts.com/tally_light_controller_tlc-6

tedkazm
07-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Our Controller can be set up to work with the Marshall monitors with the Tricaster Studio

or email me

[email protected]

wftiv
07-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Jeff Cupp at Digital Arts has the best solution and the most elegant looking tallylight unit for camera mounting. And with the Cat5 cable that drives the light unit, you can also get intercom. Recently purchased 6 units to use with the XD850 and could not be happier with the interface and the camera mounted lights.
Bill:thumbsup:

jcupp
07-20-2011, 02:33 PM
Our TLC-6 controller can drive the tallys on the Marshall monitor. You will only be able to use the Red and Green lights (Program and Preview) and you will need to roll your own cable. Call or email me for more info.

[email protected]

Yeusef
07-20-2011, 03:56 PM
Thanks Guys, I will file this under the "When i make it to the big leagues"

tedkazm
07-20-2011, 05:50 PM
I have a controller that will go from the Tricaster Studio to the 2 banks of Marshall Monitors.

The Tricaster Studio only outputs the red (live) light. no green or amber is available.

The Price is $690.00 plus $15.00 shipping.

Its our 6 camera to CCU model.

Do you need tally lights at the camera ??

We can make both the monitors and tally lights work at the same time.

If you need tally lights at the camera let me know how long of a cable you need. 50ft 100ft 150ft

Email me [email protected]

or visit our web site www.tally-lights.com

Tedkazm

Alkaye
09-10-2011, 01:12 AM
This thread is a bit aged...but I wish to know what the most recent ideas are for tally lights using the Studio...

Thank you

tedkazm
09-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Tally-Lights LLC has a tally light you mount on the camera, plug the cable into the tally light, plug the other end onto the Tricaster Studio tally port. Can't be much simpler than that. People have used up to 400ft of cable with no problem.

Tally Lights LLC is now offering a cable that goes from the 3.5 stereo cable to an XLR end. Plug one cable into the Tally light and one into the Tricaster and run XLR cable between. It will be on the web site by next week.

Tedkazm