PDA

View Full Version : 9.2 won't open on my G4 ibook

dwburman
06-05-2007, 07:53 AM
I didn't buy my ibook to do LW stuff, but I do use it occasionally. I end up using 8.5 because the CFM 9.2 release doesn't work on it at all. I never installed 9.0 on it.

The program (either modeler or layout) bounces for a while in the dock and then just sits there. It doesn't have the little black triangle beneath it. LW is not on the dock normally, so it's only there when I'm attempting to run it. I have the OS X Activity Monitor running and it lists the process name as "LightWave (Not Responding) and the overall CPU usage is maxed out so that there is 0% idle. If I force quit the LW process, the CPU usage goes down so that there is some idle CPU time.

The LW interface never appears. The hub does load (I've also tried starting it with the hub disabled.)

gclayton
06-05-2007, 08:05 AM
I had a similar problem on my Intel iMac.

Make sure the license.key file is saved as a plain text file with the correct LW 9.2 license key.

I had an invalid license.key file in the system folder that was causing my problem.

Gil

dwburman
06-05-2007, 08:13 AM
gclayton:

Thanks, that is what the problem was. I don't know why, but there were two license codes in the license.key file. I'm not sure if either were the right one. It's working now.

That's an annoying bug/feature.

heynewt
06-06-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm on a G4 Powerbook which runs 9.0 just fine. Installed 9.2, copied my old license.key over to the program directory in 9.2 and it didn't recognize it. So I enter my license # in the registration dialogue box. Says it's successful. Try to reopen LW and get the bouncing icon which just sits and bounces. Does not open. I copy the license # into a text file, rename it to "license.key". LW opens but says I have no license.

Any more specific advice on what you did to get it to recognize the license? Thanks for any help you can give on this.

Robert

I had a similar problem on my Intel iMac.

Make sure the license.key file is saved as a plain text file with the correct LW 9.2 license key.

I had an invalid license.key file in the system folder that was causing my problem.

Gil