PDA

View Full Version : good 4:2:2 codec?

m.d.
06-04-2007, 09:41 PM
i just bought a toaster...!!!

doing my first production monday, Tv series to be aired on PBS
I am wondering if anyone can recommend a codec with similar compression to DVCPro 50 (4:2:2 50 megabits ect)

I would like to capture program,main, and preview on seperate drive's....(so i'm slightly worried that the cpu would choke compressing 3 streams) and I would like my codec a little better quality then DV...but not use the space of uncompressed. Cineform would be awsome, but i'm not sure if that would work with the toaster?

My system is :quad core intel 6600, 2gig ram, 3x500 gig seagate sata(for capture), 150 gig WD raptor(for DDR),80 gig system drive.

billmi
06-05-2007, 08:48 AM
I might be a bit more leary of bandwidth to the hard drives being as much if not more of an issue than the overhead of CPU loading for compression - especially with 4 cores - but test it out and see what it can handle.

As for 4:2:2 codecs, have you tried NT25? It's a 25 megabit/sec 4:2:2 codec that is included with VT[4] version 4.6.

m.d.
06-06-2007, 05:03 PM
you mean bandwidth over the sata buss as a whole?
i know each drive could handle 1 stream, there all miniumum 38 mega bytes write, and average 60 megabytes, but I don't know howmuch bandwidth the sata system can sustain.....

nt25 sounds just what i was looking for....thankx

edit:

nt25 probably is better then DV, i would probably prefer a 4:2:2 50 mbit though