PDA

View Full Version : Help With Human Models

MartyrOfKharak
06-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Hey all, first post.

I've been looking all over the internet for an articulatable human model (free, because I have no money and no credit card) I can use for Lightwave. I've tried using the Poser 7 models and I can get them to import, but it's all one pre-posed layer and I can't animate limb movements.

I want to work on a project I've been scripting and drawing sketches for. I have a few of the vehicle and ship models done, but I still need a character model so I can pull it all together.

Unfortunately, I'm much better at tech modeling than organic modeling, so I can't do a human on my own (not one that looks decent anyway, and I fear a poor human model would contrast with the tech I've put so much work into).

I'd like to use the Poser models, but does anyone know a way to make it so each limb imports onto its own layer?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-Mazer Ludd

John the Geek
06-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Well, in regards to the poser models, the worst part is the head. The eyes and mouth are all woven into the mesh and it would take days to separate it all out.

There are supposed to be ways to export them, like from DAZ Studio, to a useful format, but I've yet to actually try it.

If you succeed let us know, cause it might be fun to pose a poser model in LW.

MartyrOfKharak
06-04-2007, 08:15 PM
Yeah, but how would I go about seperating individual limbs? I figured selecting them up to the joint and then cutting/pasting into a new layer, but that would make the joints horrible. Lets say I seperated the forearm and upper arm, when I bend the elbow too far the two limbs seperate and occlusion culling makes it so you can see through the arm.

Is there any way to fix that?

John the Geek
06-04-2007, 08:22 PM
I don't understand why you'd want to separate them. I'd just set up some bones in those limbs and they would work fine for the most part, at least I'd think. I'm still a bit of a LW n00b though, so who knows.

It's the lost morphs, etc, that I wish were recoverable in LW.

MartyrOfKharak
06-04-2007, 08:24 PM
Hmm, I can link bones to groups of polygons and keep it all on one layer? How do I do that?

And I still don't understand how to keep the mesh together when the bones move, do the polygons near the joints stretch?

hrgiger
06-05-2007, 03:56 AM
You're new to 3D, eh?

Bones work with a falloff value. Meaning that the further the mesh is away from the bone, the less it moves. So in other words, yeah, the mesh stretches depending on close it is to the bones respectively. Seperating the limbs will make them look terrible when trying to animate them. I would suggest reading more about it in the manual.

MartyrOfKharak
06-05-2007, 12:30 PM
Thanks for t he help. I'll have to experiment with bones when I get some free time, but can someone post a picture of the bone layout for face movement? I assume it would be pretty complex.

I've looked at a few tutorials, and what role do weight maps play in this?

Surrealist.
06-05-2007, 07:05 PM
For facial animation you should probably look into endomorphs.

Weightmaps are one of two ways to control bone influence on the object.

Basically if you have to contol how a bone influences the object and the more bones the more complex it gets.

In the bone properties panel (layout)you will see the options to control them with or without weightmaps.

You create weigtmaps as the second alternative to control in modeler.

You can search here for threads on both subjects or go to the net for tutorials.