PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Not Opening Scenes!

sean hargreaves
06-04-2007, 07:57 PM
The problem is, lightwave is not opening my scenes FULLY! They open, but they are opening without the objects, only the lighting and camera setup is opening. So, basically, I have lights, cameras, and nothing else. Nightmare! Can anyone help? Please, there has to be a solution!

musick
06-04-2007, 08:49 PM
Are you opening 8.5 scenes in 9.2 by chance? I have heard that can be buggy/not work.

sean hargreaves
06-04-2007, 09:03 PM
No, Its all 9.0. And I have a lot of scene files, they won't open. So its not one particular scene.

Iain
06-05-2007, 02:12 AM
Sounds like the Objects have totally changed, been moved or deleted since you created the Scene.

sean hargreaves
06-05-2007, 10:49 AM
Well, I did'nt touch the objects. Everything was set in Lightwave, I closed lightwave and opened it later to do a final render, but the scene would'nt open or load. After numerous attempts I decided to try ANY scenes I'd built, but none will open. Any suggestions?

Dodgy
06-05-2007, 10:52 AM
Did you change the content directory?

sean hargreaves
06-05-2007, 12:32 PM
No, I did'nt touch the content directory because all my scenes were saved to the desktop. But I did move a scene to the content directory and then to the programs directory when this problem arose.

sean hargreaves
06-05-2007, 12:33 PM
Anyway, it did'nt work. Any suggestions?

Dodgy
06-05-2007, 03:06 PM
It's not asking for the objects on load?

sean hargreaves
06-05-2007, 03:26 PM
Well, what it says is NO LAYERS HAVE BEEN FOUND when I hit open scene and I choose the scene. Then it goes through this list, where it continues to pop up this alert, I hit the OK button, and it keeps loading, and I keep hitting the OK button, and then it finally loads up only the cameras and lights. But it loads the cameras and the lights as I set them and saved them before I shut Lightwave down. Then when I opened it again later, it only opened the cameras and lights, without the objects. Puzzling and nightmarish to say the least.

donny
06-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Can you load the objects on their own or even try doing a load objects from scene?

Dodgy
06-05-2007, 05:03 PM
Well it's finding your object, but it can't find the actual layers. What you might have done is move the geometry to a different layer, or made the layer invisible (this is useful for construction layers) Open your model in modeler, and open the Layers panel. See if there's a little dot next to the layer in the 'eye' column. If there isn't, that layer is invisible to Layout.

Don't save the scene if it hasn't loaded the objects, otherwise it'll replace them with null objects, and you'll have to replace them all by hand when you reload the scene.

sean hargreaves
06-05-2007, 09:53 PM
When I load the object file into modeler, it has only a few objects, not the many that should be in there. And its not a layer problem as I've checked.

When I try to load other scene files into Layout I am having the same NO LAYERS VISIBLE window pop up. After OKing these windows many times it finally opens up and displays either nothing, or a few objects. The only things that are left intact are the cameras and lights placement. Theres no reason for this as I never did anything with these files. In fact, these other files are ones I hav'nt opened in a few weeks. Something seems to have happened all at once where all my scenefiles cannot be opened. I have placed them in the content folder and the programs folder and attempted to open them there, but I have the same problem.

Do you have any other suggestions perhaps, anything would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

musick
06-06-2007, 12:25 AM
Have you tried saving another scene and then try to open it, sorry thats the best i can come up with...

Iain
06-06-2007, 02:13 AM
Have you had a virus on your pc?
Why not post a simple scene with the corresponding models and we'll see if we can open it.

Dodgy
06-06-2007, 03:39 AM
When I load the object file into modeler, it has only a few objects, not the many that should be in there. And its not a layer problem as I've checked.

Ummm then it sounds very much like you've lost the rest of the object some how, either through corruption of the file, virus or user error...

IMI
06-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Ummm then it sounds very much like you've lost the rest of the object some how, either through corruption of the file, virus or user error...

That happened to me once with a number of my objects. I had cut a Content folder from one location to another location I liked better. I set up the new content directory just fine, so it wasn't that. I didn't know what to make of it, but a couple days later that drive failed entirely, after a number of bad block errors.

sean hargreaves
06-06-2007, 08:04 AM
Yeah, I built a quick new scene as a test, saved it, closed Lightwave, opened it, it was fine, no problem.

byte_fx
06-06-2007, 04:58 PM
In a way it's strange that the new scene/objects work fine.

When I've seen this problem in the past - and I have seen it in 7x and 8x - it's always been a hosed config file.

And would almost always affect new stuff as well.

If you have copies of known good config files copy them over the one's LW is using and see if that helps.

donny
06-07-2007, 08:31 AM
Can you post a object that is having the same issue? This way we can simulate the problem and perhaps find a easy fix.

sean hargreaves
06-07-2007, 08:41 AM
No, no virus. Its bizarre. All my scenes and objects files that are on my desktop won't open up correctly. But object files in folders are OK. I don't have any of my scenes in folders, typical!

sean hargreaves
06-07-2007, 08:45 AM
Donny, I've been talking to Sylvia Torres at Newtek Tech. Support and I sent her my model files and my scene file. Its supposed to be the interior of a bank. I hope you guys can open the files, if not, she has my contact info. I need to solve this asap, as its for a client.

Thanks!

FONGOOL
06-11-2007, 01:32 PM
I didn't even know it was possible to save scene files randomly onto your desktop and have them still work properly with everything else residing in the default content directory setup...

Sounds like it would be a nightmare to backup!

sean hargreaves
06-11-2007, 03:36 PM
Well, now I'm saving stuff into the programs folder. Is that wrong?

donny
06-11-2007, 03:39 PM
Usually you will want to save the scene files in the Content directory with the other scenes and the objects with the objects. This makes it easier to back up since it is all in a central location.

ShawnStovall
06-11-2007, 05:51 PM
Try deleting your config files, this could possibly reset things and clear up this problem.