PDA

View Full Version : GLSL and node editor problem

alejoide
06-04-2007, 03:44 PM
Hi. I'm starting to play with the node editor for the first time and I found something that caught my attention.

The GLSLshader mode in modeler works fine when I'm texturing using the layered mode but when I try to do the same thing with nodes it doesn't show the textures in OpenGL. Yes, the check box next to the 'Edit Nodes' button is checked.

Any thoughts?

RedBull
06-04-2007, 04:47 PM
Yes, despite over 12months of development on the Node Editor, Newtek decided not to make any previewer of their Node system, so basically GLSL is totally useless when using Nodes of any fashion in Modeler or Layout.

9.2 Still did not add OGL Nodal previews.
Despite bragging about better GLSL in Modeler.

You need to use the completely useless Viper, or invest into FPrime3.
(Broken in x64 version) If you would like any feedback on your texturing.

1 Step Forwards, 2 Steps Back!

:(

calilifestyle
06-04-2007, 10:09 PM
Yes, despite over 12months of development on the Node Editor, Newtek decided not to make any previewer of their Node system, so basically GLSL is totally useless when using Nodes of any fashion in Modeler or Layout.

9.2 Still did not add OGL Nodal previews.
Despite bragging about better GLSL in Modeler.

You need to use the completely useless Viper, or invest into FPrime3.
(Broken in x64 version) If you would like any feedback on your texturing.

1 Step Forwards, 2 Steps Back!

:(
LOL for the longest time i thought i was doing some thing and for life i couldnt figure it out so i kept on using the old way/ then what last month they had the review for 9.2 and there i read that lw3d is yet to suport it in veiw port i was like :bangwall: i was happy it wasnt me

jameswillmott
06-05-2007, 12:01 AM
One of the development team ( perhaps even Jay Roth, I don't recall 100% ) explained the impracticality of full node editor previewing in OGL...

alejoide
06-05-2007, 04:57 PM
Impracticality??? Good God!

bobakabob
06-05-2007, 05:16 PM
My F9 button is looking worn...

jameswillmott
06-05-2007, 05:27 PM
Ok, how would you preview a surface that uses a colour gradient driven by Occlusion in OGL? That's just a simple example. You can't just evaluate the node tree per pixel/nth pixel, OGL would slow down too much to be useful.

jasonwestmas
06-05-2007, 05:50 PM
You need something like Fprime to get anywhere with more complex surfacing. OGL will never hack it of course at least not till everyone has extremely beefy machines or we recieve alien software from somewhere.

jasonwestmas
06-05-2007, 05:53 PM
On the other hand OGL Bump/Normal mapping is really nice.

MSherak
06-06-2007, 10:14 AM
On the other hand OGL Bump/Normal mapping is really nice.

This would be nice features to have in the OGL.. Since the node editor works with displacement it would be nice if they could place the functionality there so it could be seen in the viewports..

mattclary
06-06-2007, 12:24 PM
invest into FPrime3.(Broken in x64 version)

What meanest thou??? I'm using FPrime 3 x64 and I haven't seen any problems. :gotpics:

RedBull
06-06-2007, 05:09 PM
What meanest thou??? I'm using FPrime 3 x64 and I haven't seen any problems. :gotpics:

Thou meant, try using some OrenNayer or Blinn....

I have already posted a thread about it somewhere, and the Worley reply explaining that an updated x64 version is coming, as soon as Microsoft fix the compiling issues in 64bit MSVC++ I Believe the RGB values are being combined incorrectly.

Ok, how would you preview a surface that uses a colour gradient driven by Occlusion in OGL? That's just a simple example. You can't just evaluate the node tree per pixel/nth pixel, OGL would slow down too much to be useful.

I don't think anyone asked for advanced GLSL, (although i believe your example above can be done easily in OGL) but hey how about after 12months of LW9 development, that if i have a RED color node, that the OGL turns RED.?

Consistency is key, if the Layer system could always work this way, than you don't develop a newer better Node system, that lacks even the most basic functionality of the original surface system.
1 Step forwards, 2 Steps backwards....

GLSL development was always a waste of development resources for NT.
Why implement GLSL at all in 8.5 only to abandon any improvements to it all.

Only some procedurals worked in the layer system, they were slow, only color channels was supported. The Code was never released in the SDK with Marvins procedurals, so people like myself or Dpont, can't actually add GLSL functions to any procedurals or nodes ourselves, like NT could.

It's only now that FPrime3 is released that i can now texture in LW again..
The last 12months have driven me back to Modo and XSI for all my texturing work. If OGL Nodes was not a doable thing, than a Viper replacement should of been a priority for NT.

As far as i can tell Nodes are built on top of the previous layer system, which does make an extra problem in speedy Node updates too.

If NT don't realize how important it is for realtime feedback, than thank god Worley and others do. While Modo is busy giving me realtime raytracing and realtime OGL Bump, and Normal mapping...... LW Nodes cannot even make the polygon turn red.

Am i using still using Amiga software from the 80's... ? :)

calilifestyle
06-13-2007, 03:57 PM
:thumbsup: RED its very sad and very true that nodes the next great thing and you cant eve veiw them in lay out. and also very true about viper. not really more to add. very dispointed.