PDA

View Full Version : Cylindrical Texture on a Cylinder.

evolross
06-04-2007, 01:50 PM
I'm creating, for example, a soup can with an image map texture that wraps around it which is the soup can label. The soup can is a cylinder.

I place the image map in cylindrical wrapping mode and everything looks perfect except for one of the vertical polygons on the soup can which has the whole entire texture scrunched into it. I've double checked that it's the appropriate surface, adjusted the wrapping parameter, tried splitting the polygon, tried adding new polygons, tried changing the axis... nothing seems to work. The texture does not wrap around the cylinder evenly.

Any ideas? I have a feeling this is a common problem.

cagey5
06-04-2007, 02:10 PM
Is this just in OpenGL preview or the actual render?

gerry_g
06-04-2007, 06:23 PM
This has cropped up in the OB forum, the uv generation process is supposed to automatically cut your mesh at '-z' then unwrap it in a counter clockwise fashion to give you flat unwrapped uv's. But it seems to be failing to make the cut, leaving one poly stretched the entire width of the map from the extreme left edge to the extreme right. You need to manually unweald one edge of the large poly and drag it over and out from behind the others, or alternately unweald all your points before you make the map.

evolross
06-05-2007, 01:29 PM
Is this just in OpenGL preview or the actual render?

Your reply made me think to try to render it to see if the problem occurs in a render.... and it doesn't. :)

So it looks like some kind of OpenGL problem. When I render, the soup can label is perfectly wrapped around the soup can's polygons. Yet in Modeler, there is still one polygon where the image is crunched into it.

So if it works in Layout, all is well.

~Ross