PDA

View Full Version : Does "Safe Area" apply to HDTV?

Tom Wood
06-03-2007, 06:24 PM
For modern digital screens does the concept of the "safe area" apply any more? Is the entire 1280x720 or 1920x1080 screen always shown?

Thanks

JReble
06-04-2007, 08:58 AM
There are some High Def CRT monitors on the market. Any CRT will have some amount of overscan on it. I also believe LCD and plasma monitors overscan a bit, this would be necessary to avoid the verticle interval appearing in standard def signals. So simple answer is yes, safe title areas still apply. They would anyway simply from a good design perspective. You don't generally want to cram important elements up against the edge of the frame.

chuckd
06-04-2007, 03:09 PM
And while we're still in transition to HD from SD don't forget to 4:3-protect your graphics-- you wouldn't want that all important web page url to be cut off on the edge of a center-cut SD or Ipod version.

Tim Johnson
06-11-2007, 08:14 AM
I've been working on a few HD movie trailers for use in theaters. Their specifications ask us to observe Action and Title Safe as their image gets cropped a bit when projected. I'm not sure about the non-CRT HD display only market. Keeping your titles at least in Action Safe is probably still a good idea.

BeniToaster
06-19-2007, 03:48 PM
Hola
Safe action and title area are always a good idea, even for data to film and tape to film. It also depends on the aspect ratio, but keeping titles and action centered is part of a good profesional production.