PDA

View Full Version : Morph problems

Lottmedia
06-03-2007, 03:31 PM
OK, I'm going to try to post an example vid so you can get an idea, but I'm notoriously bad at getting attatchments to attatch so lets see..:)

I'm working on a little project that has a face pushing out of a solid object, lets say a wall. The effect I'm looking for is that the wall is rubber and the face is pushing through from the other side. We've all see this in movies before (Frighteners!) But I cant seem to think of a good way to get it to happen. I did the face modeled into the surface and flattened it as a morph but that just comes out wrong. Just for refrence the face isn't going to move along the wall or anything, just push out at one point, talk a little and maby fade back. Anyone have any ideas?

Casey :cat:

Lottmedia
06-03-2007, 06:43 PM
really? No help yet? wow

SplineGod
06-03-2007, 06:47 PM
The links not working for me. Whats not working for you? It can also be done as a displacement map as well.

Sensei
06-03-2007, 07:17 PM
Click on link, Firefox will show attachment as text, Save Page As.. on disk.. and it's watchable in QuickTime..

Lottmedia
06-03-2007, 07:33 PM
Click on link, Firefox will show attachment as text, Save Page As.. on disk.. and it's watchable in QuickTime..

Hey! I gues that's why they call you Sensi :)

What I would really like is that look of something pushing out from the inside. That said, it's only a few seconds in shot so it dosen't have to be that convincing. How would you do a displacement and what difference woudl that give me than a morph. I almost wish sockpuppet or something woud let me use the head model to displace the wall, does that make sense? Maby I'm loosing myself more in this now...:(

SplineGod
06-03-2007, 08:27 PM
You need to run on subpatches to make it look smooth.
You can do this via morphs or displacement map.

Lottmedia
06-03-2007, 11:58 PM
Actually it is subpatched (don't remember if it is in the vid, but it is) and that makes it look even worse when it's collapsed.

But even with a morph/displace map, how woudl I go about making it project out of the surface and not just "scale" out?

SplineGod
06-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Render out a depth buffer anim (camera moving towards the head) or use a gradient based on distance to camera. Use those frames as a displacement map or to drive a morph.

Lottmedia
06-06-2007, 04:39 PM
ummm....what? I'm no noobie, but I'm not really sure wat our proposing there. Could we try a little more depth to the explination? :)

SplineGod
06-06-2007, 06:45 PM
Lightwave is capable of saving out different internal render buffers individually such as diffuse, specularity etc. The depth or z buffer is one of them. It looks like a greyscale image of you object where each pixel defines the depth from the camera. You can get a similar effect using fog or a color gradient based on distance to the camera. This can be used as a displacement map. Id spend a little time doing a bit of research in the manual on those topics. :)

You might also try this video:
http://www.kurvstudios.com/lightwave/displacements.php