PDA

View Full Version : Official statement or road map of LW's future.

RTSchramm
06-03-2007, 01:39 PM
Is there any official statement of what features that are going to be added or enhanced in future versions of LW? For example, with blender there is a time table when new features that are expected to be added. With Maya the plan is to revamp the dynamics and combine all of the dynamics into one system similar to N-cloth. Modo 301 will incorporate basic animation and eventually a future version will have CA.

I like LW, and would wait a year for easier CA configuration, instances, better cloth, hair, UV wrapping, 3D paining, and the addition of liquid simulations, and etc. The render is top notch and easy to use, as far as I'm concerned. I know there are some plug ins that can do what I want, but, I'm using the 64 bit version and many of these plug ins don't work.

It seems that LW, once noted for being a leader in innovation, is now far behind the competition. I'm slowly lending toward a Modo 301, May 8.5 unlimited (Student version), and Renderman pipeline to created my demos.

Rich

hrgiger
06-03-2007, 11:06 PM
You can see the FAQs page here: http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/lw9_faq.php

In it they mention instancing, modeler tool consolidation and workflow improvements, full edge integration, new character animation tools, more modeling tools in Layout, new and improved UV tools, the addition of a history, scene graph, parametric evaluation and more during the 9.x cycle. I would probably expect to hear more by Siggraph in August about what's in the works next.

RTSchramm
06-04-2007, 12:40 AM
Thanks for the Info

Rich