PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave Mailer

Lottmedia
06-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I assume most everyone has gotten the Lightwave 9.2 mailer recently and I just have to ask did anyone just laugh seeing it? I mean, can you say worst slogan ever? "Everything else is just a blur"? Really? All I got was an image of LW standing there as everyone goes streaking by. (which admittedly we have felt like from time to time, but 9.2 is honestly a good release, I think) I understand what they were trying to say, but I've shown it to three people cold and each of their reactions have been the same. No one seems to get it as a positive thing initially. Did anyone in advertising even think about this? Is anyone paying attention? God I hate to think what users of other software are going to say seeing that:)

Just for laughs

Casey :cat:

IMI
06-03-2007, 01:51 PM
Yes, I would temporarily revoke his water cooler and cafeteria rights and make him write 1000 times on the blackboard, "I will think before creating". :D

IMI
06-03-2007, 01:58 PM
Of course, it also is a matter of perspective. Since they used a car, imagine sitting in Dale Jr.'s car at Daytona in the pit - the other cars are a blur as they speed past.
On the other hand, if you're the only one moving, you see everything else as a blur...which, I would hope, is what they meant... not that that's particularly realistic either. ;)

In any event, I would think successful advertising doesn't leave any room for interpretation, particularly the possibility of negative interpretation towards your product.

hrgiger
06-03-2007, 03:12 PM
I didn't think it was bad at all. I mean, it's no cheesier then any other softwares slogans that I've seen...

Lottmedia
06-03-2007, 03:23 PM
In any event, I would think successful advertising doesn't leave any room for interpretation, particularly the possibility of negative interpretation towards your product.

This is exactly what I'm saying. We can give examples of how the refrence is positive all day, but advertising should be clear. If there's even room for a negative interpertation then it's a failure

mattclary
06-03-2007, 04:24 PM
My thought, when I got mine was, "Why is NewTek wasting this money on me when I have already upgraded?".

IMI
06-03-2007, 04:44 PM
My thought, when I got mine was, "Why is NewTek wasting this money on me when I have already upgraded?".

Yeah, there is that, too. :D

I'm thinking most email advertising these days is created and perpetrated by electronic robots - ebots - once they have your email address, you're just a whoever @ wherever.whatever and are then treated equally as the guy who once expressed an interest in having an interest in maybe considering considering a product.
Newtek isn't so bad though - I get emails from McAfee every other week advising me to upgrade, and warning me that my computers will all explode if I don't, in spite of the fact that I get their full service for free, being a Comcast customer.

At least, though, they don't bang on your door at dinnertime, like the Fuller Brush man did in spamming-of-the-past, or call on the phone with an Important Message you have to press 1 to hear. ;)

hrgiger
06-03-2007, 04:53 PM

Perhaps enough people buy enough additional licenses to cover the 3 or so cents they probably paid to send the ad out to you. It's the beauty of bulk mailing.

mattclary
06-03-2007, 06:04 PM
Perhaps enough people buy enough additional licenses to cover the 3 or so cents they probably paid to send the ad out to you. It's the beauty of bulk mailing.

I don't know man, that was a high quality, slick, and shiny piece of paper...

With modern databases, it shouldn't be that big a deal to target those who have not yet upgraded. I know I get e-mails from Lux all the time targeting me as someone who has investigated their product but never purchased one.

Lottmedia
06-03-2007, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=IMI]
I'm thinking most email advertising these days is created and perpetrated by electronic robots - ebots - once they have your email address, QUOTE]

Just for refrence, I'm talking about physical mail here, not e-mail

Silkrooster
06-03-2007, 07:34 PM
The same can be said about snail mail. Some but not all companies do use third party companies to send out fliers. It is none of their business who purchased what and when. They get paid just to send out fliers for the entire database of names and addresses only. I don't know if Newtek uses a third party or not, just thats it's possible. Just throwing in my 2 cents.
Silk

Maxx
06-04-2007, 04:56 AM
All I got was an image of LW standing there as everyone goes streaking by.
Exactly what I thought when I first saw it.

mattclary
06-04-2007, 08:46 AM
The same can be said about snail mail. Some but not all companies do use third party companies to send out fliers. It is none of their business who purchased what and when. They get paid just to send out fliers for the entire database of names and addresses only. I don't know if Newtek uses a third party or not, just thats it's possible. Just throwing in my 2 cents.
Silk

NewTek could just as easily send them a DB with only the applicable names and addresses.

SELECT CUSTOMER_NAME,CUSTOMER_ADDRESS FROM CUSTOMER_INFO WHERE CURRENT_VERSION <> 9

Danic101
06-04-2007, 01:35 PM
I liked it.

vadermanchild
06-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Its an odd message - on first and second reading to me it say the competition is faster.

At least as a play on words the JOY OF SIX worked..well maybe not, but compared to this one the JOY OF SIX campaign was pure genius.

hrgiger
06-05-2007, 03:51 AM
The Joy of Six worked on me. It was my first version of Lightwave.

Seven is great?
Eight is Late?
Nine is fine.

Silkrooster
06-06-2007, 05:54 PM
LOL. I started with 7.5c just before 8.0 came out, I think 6 months before.
Silk