PDA

View Full Version : Backing up Content Folders?

IMI
06-03-2007, 10:03 AM
My apologies that this is a bit OT, in that it's not entirely LW-specific, but I was wondering what some of you do for backing up your Content folders?

I bought a pair of external 500 GB Western Digital USB EIDE drives for the purpose of keeping my important stuff backed up, among that, my various LW Content folders. I don't save directly to them, because after all, it's a USB connection and slower. (Although it is cool in that I can easily move from machine to machine, with a drive and the dongle. :) )

Once a week I back up all my LW content I've changed, sometimes right away after making changes, simply by copying/pasting right over the old stuff. This gets to be a royal PITA sometimes if I don't keep notes on what I've changed, and then to be safe I just back up all of it. I have many specific Content folders, and sometimes it's hard to keep track. I got seriously burned once by a failed drive in which I lost literally everything, a few years ago. That's never happening again. :D

I was wondering if there's some kind of backup software (Windows) that runs in the background and keeps an eye on certain folders which you can assign, and then automatically performs a scheduled or manual overwriting of it on an assigned drive?

Does this exist? Is it possible?

Castius
06-03-2007, 10:21 AM
http://www.2brightsparks.com/downloads.html

You can download SyncBack Freeware V3.2.14
It's a very easy to use backup software and reliable.

kopperdrake
06-03-2007, 10:45 AM
I use http://www.cordes-dev.com/english/overview.html without amy hitches. You can make batch files so the PC with it installed on will copy the various PCs' content to an external hard drive, then duplicate that hard drive to another external hard drive.

IMI
06-03-2007, 10:52 AM
Thanks. I'll check those out. :)

newsvixen8
06-04-2007, 11:58 AM
My Western Digital external drive came with Retrospect backup software, which I have set to back-up every morning (in case I work all night.) It knows enough to modify only those files which have been changed, so every day I have a perfect backup of my entire drive.

lesterfoster
06-04-2007, 01:46 PM
I haven't backed up for quite some time now. I think that I should do it now. Thanks for the reminder.

I just burn a DVD. After all they only cost less than $1.00.

And I use a program called CDTree (http://www.vbknowledgesolutions.com/) to keep track of all of my files

Is there a program out there like CDTree that can do thumbnails to help me keep track of all of my off line photo files from my digital camera.?

IMI
06-04-2007, 03:39 PM
My Western Digital external drive came with Retrospect backup software, which I have set to back-up every morning (in case I work all night.) It knows enough to modify only those files which have been changed, so every day I have a perfect backup of my entire drive.

Huh. I wonder why mine didn't come with that. All I got was crap like Google Desktop and some photo organizer called Picasa2, neither of which I have any interest in.
I just read up on Retrospect Professional Backup, and that looks like exactly what I want. :)
Still though, I feel cheated. ;)