PDA

View Full Version : The worlds most expensive keyboard!

Matt
06-03-2007, 08:19 AM
Last time I saw this it was in development, now they are taking pre-orders.

Looks very, very cool, but at $1,564.37 you'd need one heck of a reason for buying it!!!

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/

http://www.artlebedev.com/everything/optimus/optimus_maximus_01.jpg

Ratboy
06-03-2007, 08:36 AM
I don't know, maybe after you've dropped the cash for a 3dsMax seat, a little extra to have a keyboard display all of its shortcuts on demand may be worthwhile ;)

hrgiger
06-03-2007, 09:01 AM
I think I'll stick with my $10 one.

Bog
06-03-2007, 09:30 AM
Filed firmly under "Stuff you don't need, but you really, really want".

sammael
06-03-2007, 09:34 AM
I think ill wait for some Chinese guy to see this and start producing them for $50, its cool though.

kopperdrake
06-03-2007, 10:56 AM
Oh I want one! I wonder if it'd be cheaper and easier to have one larger LCD underneath all those keys than loads of teeny tiny ones.

Lovely idea and some nice eye-candy!

Verlon
06-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Someone posts this link from time to time (or one very similar). While it looks very impressive, when I am looking at choices like 'a new keyboard OR a new Dell 30" LCD AND a Logitech G15 Keyboard AND a new Processor AND take the wife to a nice dinner at a Brazilian Steakhouse AND fill the car up with gas...well lets just say I don't want it THAT bad.

Its pretty, but it needs to be under the $200 price point before I even think about it.

Jim_C
06-03-2007, 02:13 PM
I wonder if it'd be cheaper and easier to have one larger LCD underneath all those keys than loads of teeny tiny ones.

Guess for know, that would be the iPhone.

Bytehawk
06-03-2007, 02:54 PM
for 10.000,- you can get a surface thingy by Microsoft
for 1500 you can get a new tablet pc

Exception
06-03-2007, 03:15 PM
This is vaporware, unfortunately. They've announced it 4 years in a row, and all those images are renders. It might be released but not anytime soon... and certainly not when they say it will... They said at first it'd be $300.
Too bad cos its a great idea.

Captain Obvious
06-03-2007, 03:19 PM
I think I'll wait until they release some nanotech wizardry that can actually reshape itself. Not that I don't want one of those, mind you! It went straight to my "really really want" file. I'm just not going to buy one!

iconoclasty
06-03-2007, 04:48 PM
Yeah, they've been working on this for at least 7 years and the price keeps going up.

Might be nice for Max users though. You know how they love icons. They'd love to not have to read the individual letters on a keyboard.

Matt
06-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Apparently shipping around December this year! We'll wait and see, personally, I'd be pissed if I'd ordered that and had to wait a year for it!!!!

Verlon
06-03-2007, 05:12 PM
this product is vaporware in my book until they have one at Fry's.

mattclary
06-03-2007, 05:57 PM
No way in Hades I'm paying $1500+ for something until I KNOW it's shipping. Then, it won't be on a freaking keyboard.

Matt
06-03-2007, 07:29 PM
If it does ship, I expect to see this appear in MANY movies as a tech prop!

Dave Jerrard
06-04-2007, 12:49 PM
This is vaporware, unfortunately. They've announced it 4 years in a row, and all those images are renders. It might be released but not anytime soon... and certainly not when they say it will... They said at first it'd be $300.
Too bad cos its a great idea.
It's not vaporware. It's finally being released, but in limited numbers this year; only 400 I think in December, if you're lucky enough to have signed up on the waiting list. You can get a small 3-key version of it from ThinkGeek.com now if you want. Someone's even hacked it to play videos on the keys.

He Who Wouldn't Mind This Thing Himself, If It Works On A KVM Switch.

Bog
06-04-2007, 02:51 PM
It's USB, Dave. As long as your KVM cleaves unto that standard, it should work fine, I imagine.

At that price, if it doesn't, they can bloody well fix it!

Dave Jerrard
06-04-2007, 04:08 PM
Damn. I have to get yet another KVM then. Mine's all PS/2 - a 4-port, dual DVI unit.

He Who Isnt Much Of A Fan Of USB For Keyboards And Mice.

Bog
06-04-2007, 04:24 PM
You could always get one of them thar USB to PS2 converter donglies. Nothing like taking cutting-edge uber-shiny tech and putting a W. Heath Robinson interface on it.

Tzan
06-04-2007, 04:38 PM
I have a PS/2 keyboard I like the feel of better than the small Dell keyboards.
So I got the adapter to USB, works fine. Except when I play an FPS game.

If I am running with W then run while turning W+D, then let go of D, instead of continuing to run I stop. Not really good. So I have the Dell plugged in too and use that just for games, no switch required.

Matt
06-04-2007, 05:01 PM
Okay, couldn't resist it any longer, I've just pre-ordered one!

(Just kidding!) :D

Verlon
06-04-2007, 05:16 PM
It's not vaporware. It's finally being released, but in limited numbers this year; only 400 I think in December, if you're lucky enough to have signed up on the waiting list. You can get a small 3-key version of it from ThinkGeek.com now if you want. Someone's even hacked it to play videos on the keys.

He Who Wouldn't Mind This Thing Himself, If It Works On A KVM Switch.

*checks calendar*
*notices its not December yet*

Like I said, Vaporware.

I read somewhere about a cold fusion powered generator that will be released "this winter." Want to sign up for that one also?

I'll wait until they have one I can touch with my hands before I call it a real product.

:)

Matt
06-04-2007, 06:43 PM
I could be wrong, but I think they've shipped the first batch, the second batch is this December.

Clearly the technology works, because you can buy the 3 button gizmo now.

monovich
06-06-2007, 02:14 PM
as I look down, I notice how filthy my keyboard is and realize that I don't deserve a nice keyboard.

Jim_C
06-06-2007, 02:58 PM
When you turn it upside down and bang it on the desk to clean it out....

Would liquid crystals fall along with potato chip crumbs and shake?

voriax
06-06-2007, 06:03 PM
I could be wrong, but I think they've shipped the first batch, the second batch is this December.

Clearly the technology works, because you can buy the 3 button gizmo now.

Naw, they haven't shipped any yet. They've taken about 300(?) pre-orders for the release in Dec. They haven't completed any fully working prototypes as yet. Shows they have a market, though...

I think the most they've shown is a single working key on a test PCB.. A long way from final production unfortunately.
I can see how a lot of people think it'll be vaporware, cos there's just been setback after setback apparently. He claims to have had a lot of trouble with the OLED displays.

However, there's no reason why the product couldn't be made, so in some form it WILL be made. It's not exactly a difficult concept to implement, just takes development time.

Captain Obvious
06-07-2007, 03:32 AM

It doesn't have any liquid crystals; it's got OLED displays.

mattclary
06-07-2007, 06:13 AM

A can of compressed air works better and is less destructive. ;)

Bog
06-08-2007, 03:23 PM

But costs you a round of board-chow.

mouse_art
06-08-2007, 06:06 PM
I'll stick with my G15 , the macro keys are really handy...and with lavalys averest, all temps at the display(quad(5 temps/GFX/MB/all 6 10k HDD's./CPU usage/Memory load).

At first i thought what? I woul'd never buy a keyboard above a 20$ price tag, but now i love my G15. *g*

Dave Jerrard
06-12-2007, 06:51 PM
I think the most they've shown is a single working key on a test PCB..
Not entirely true. You can buy this now...
http://www.thinkgeek.com/images/products/zoom/optimus_mini.jpg (http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/input/88ee/)

If you want more keys, but don't want to shell out the extra cash for the fancy OLEDs, here's a couple other options:

http://www.piengineering.com/pigraphics/grxkeys/moreFnStick.jpg (http://www.piengineering.com/xkeys/xkstick.php)

http://www.xkeys.com/landing/assets/big.wow.jpg (http://www.xkeys.com/landing/wow.php)

When you turn it upside down and bang it on the desk to clean it out....Use compressed air, or do what I do; take the keyboard apart and use window cleaner and a paper towel and really clean it. I've done numerous mice, remotes and keyboards this way, and they're all still fully functional, and clean. Just don't rub on any graphite connections on the silicon rubber membranes; dab all those sensitive parts dry.

I've even run a couple Amiga keyboards under hot water to flush out stuff like cream soda or sardine oil (don't ask; it wasn't mine), and letting it sit for a few hours to dry left it good as new.

Would liquid crystals fall along with potato chip crumbs and shake?No liquid crystals; it uses OLEDs, just like my watch (http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/watches/8e18/). But my watch has a bigger screen and also plays audio in addition to the video. :)

He Who Is A Geek And Darned Proud Of It.

jasonwestmas
06-12-2007, 08:05 PM
Hey that keyboard looks cool but for that price it should come without that silly windows button that's between the ctrl and alt keys. I would pay extra to have that button removed permanently. Anybody know of one without that button? ;)

Jim_C
06-12-2007, 09:03 PM

Yea but then how do you re-collect the shake for .... well never mind I've said too much incriminating already....

:devil:

Stooch
06-16-2007, 10:39 PM
stop buying shwag and dont let it dry out. that will end your shake problem.