PDA

View Full Version : New Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales trailer

digital verve
06-02-2007, 09:53 AM
New trailer for Babylon 5 - The Lost Tales, mostly LightWave I believe. Looks like they are striking a balance between the old 1990s and a more modern look.

http://babylon5.warnerbros.com/
Choose main menu->the lost tales

Video on the special effects:
http://www.vmix.com/view.php?id=2422707&current_resourceid=2422707&type=video

Some other behind the scenes videos:
http://www.vmix.com/search.php?query=babylon+5&x=&y=

colkai
06-03-2007, 02:30 AM
Ahh, good old B5, how we love you ..Cheesy or not :D

Oh, and Chris Franke back doing the music - gorramn straight! - the "proper" B5 :)

Bytehawk
06-03-2007, 04:30 AM
it's already on my shopping list.

Cageman
06-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Hehe... this is def on my shoppinglist!

Those behind the scenes... so cool to see ONLY LW-screens!! ;)

lesterfoster
06-05-2007, 05:41 AM
Thanks for the links. I watched all of the linked videos .. But who was the guy with that fantastic scents of humor ??

Phil
06-05-2007, 01:07 PM
Hmm. Like many, I have the B5 DVD sets (except season 5 which I skipped entirely, rather liking the end to season 4). Having watched the trailer yesterday I now struggle to remember what was shown in it. That doesn't strike me as a good sign.

colkai
06-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Thanks for the links. I watched all of the linked videos .. But who was the guy with that fantastic scents of humor ??
That, more than likely, (assuming your talking of the big guy with glasses), is JMS.

Father of B5. :)

Bog
06-05-2007, 04:41 PM
The Corps is Mother.

The Corps is Father. ;)

cresshead
06-05-2007, 04:50 PM
i like londo's comment about 'cats'....

Bytehawk
06-05-2007, 06:16 PM
Ambassador Londo Mollari: Great Maker!
Ambassador Londo Mollari: But this - this, this, this is like being nibbled to death by... what are those Earth creatures called? Feathers, long bill, webbed feet... go 'quack'...
Ambassador Vir Cotto: Cats.
Ambassador Londo Mollari: Cats. Being nibbled to death by cats.

classic moment, makes me wanna go back and watch them all again

cresshead
06-05-2007, 06:50 PM
that's the one!:D

babylon 5 is awesome!

it is funny, serious, scary, emotional....all the things a good tvshow/film should be.

BSG is really good but doesn't cover all of the above.

starbase1
06-06-2007, 01:18 AM
I loved B5, but the humour was frequently cringe making... A very bad idea.

cresshead
06-06-2007, 06:38 AM
i found some of the humour to be spot on!...but yeah it wasn't 100%...but 'that humor' it's VERY subjective in any program/film/show...much like musical taste..

starbase1
06-06-2007, 12:01 PM
i found some of the humour to be spot on!...but yeah it wasn't 100%...but 'that humor' it's VERY subjective in any program/film/show...much like musical taste..

Really? Wow! The acting was generally excellent, but the gags...
I got to the point where I'd cringe every time Vir appeared.

The leaden "don't give away the homeworld" gags.
Ivanova's nudge, nudge wink wink elbow in the ribs telegraph the gag approach.

And the utterly cringe making period gags when Delen became human, good grief. I actually felt sorry for Mira Furlan having to deliver such kack.

Nope, the drama, the broad sweep, the tension - absolutely superb. The humour? Don't make me laugh.

Nick

Qexit
06-06-2007, 12:12 PM
it is funny, serious, scary, emotional....all the things a good tvshow/film should be.

BSG is really good but doesn't cover all of the above.True, it carefully skips funny, scary and emotional. The large, endless helpings of serious just don't cut it for me :D

Looking forward to the new B5 stories, even though they will spoil my lovely big B5 Complete Universe DVD boxset. Given the current dearth of watchable TV programmes, I think that set may get an airing in the near future. With five seasons, the six feature length specials, the whole of Excalibur and Legend of the Rangers it should keep me busy for a couple of weeks....then I can start on my Dr Who collection :D

Zane Condren
06-16-2007, 03:08 PM
I hope they resolve the Crusade story line with this series.

Liber777
06-19-2007, 09:19 AM
...I have the B5 DVD sets (except season 5 which I skipped entirely...

The second half of Season 5, dealing with Londo and the fall of Centauri Prime was fantastic, on par with Seasons 3 and 4, and well worth seeing.

Stivan

Zane Condren
07-29-2007, 11:45 AM
I just found out that an HD version of B5 The Lost Tales will be released exclusively on the XBOX Live Marketplace.

Bog
07-29-2007, 01:58 PM
I just found out that an HD version of B5 The Lost Tales will be released exclusively on the XBOX Live Marketplace.

Oh please, please don't be wrong, or kidding. That would just be *SO* damn 21st Century, to be able to download HD New Sci-Fi at the whack of an "A" button.

Really, that's the future right there.

zapper1998
07-29-2007, 03:12 PM
I saw a tv commercial about the new B5 cool

archiea
07-30-2007, 07:08 AM
I had a love hate thing with babylon 5. I love the story arcs and how the character's evolved.. however the day to day writing, i.e. the dialog and banter was terrible. It felt like a fan film sometimes.

I hate to say it but it was like the creator went to the Glen A Larson school of scifi casting for the show. It was like TV lands range of angry sad and happy while having a smirk on your face the whole time. Kinda cornball and unsophisticated.

I will give the exeption to Londo and his nemesis G'kar. The moments witht hem on screen were amazing, In particular the one which was a flashback with londo now old telling his story. Really something.

By comparison.. look at Firefly. I mean the wit was spot on.. and mind you that was after Fox messed with it!!! I thought firefly's characters were, ahem, lighyears better than Babylon 5. Far more complex and solphisticated, even wwhen limmited to TV's budgest and cast. It was definitley more than the sum of its parts. Plus the movie gave it the fans a bitter sweet send off. I hope we see more of that show.

Also just the way it was photographed.. it was just so dull and dorky. I don't know.. just uninteresting for some reason. No real effort to play with the lookof the show. I know its like comparing ant hills to mountains, but, man, Michael bay, he shore know how to photograph scenes. I mean he makes simple dialogs energetic an alive. Plus his personal choice of lens (where the lense flares are partof the story telling) and his use of special film processing, and now digital intermediate, really brings a look thats rich, saturated and deep. I realize that there's not as much time and money on a TV show but alot can still be done. In the end, babylon 5 just looks so much like a TV show with its flat studio lighting. Crap, look at the bridge and decks of the submarine in Tony Scotts "Crimson tide" now thats a ship! Those cardboard walls on babylon 5 looks like a school's play!

Still I think it great that there's more babylon 5. I hope the creator has more stories to tell, even if its in his cooky style.

Phil
07-30-2007, 08:00 AM
Hmm. The reviews on Amazon seem a little....mixed. The first tale sounds way off base for B5 (demons?!) and it sounds like the casting of Lockley remains as flawed as ever. The second tale sounds more...interesting, but it seems that neither are done justice in the limited 70 minutes of run time.

The consensus is that the effects don't suck, but if I wanted flawed story, but nice effects, I'd watch Final Fantasy. I had hoped for a self-contained story, rather than two half-efforts.

Zane Condren
08-10-2007, 08:07 AM
Here is a link to a quick write up on the VFX for the episode. http://www.studiodaily.com/filmandvideo/projects/f/movies/8391.html