PDA

View Full Version : Battlestar Galactica's End Officially After Season 4

Titus
06-01-2007, 10:32 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070601/tv_nm/battlestar_dc

hrgiger
06-01-2007, 11:12 AM
I've yet to see a single episode. It's on my Netflix list. I hear it's good though.

cresshead
06-01-2007, 11:24 AM
no it's not good at all....sorry to say it 'briiliant'!

MSherak
06-01-2007, 12:08 PM
It's fantastic.. Best Sci-Fi Drama ever made.. IMHO...

Bytehawk
06-01-2007, 02:01 PM
have them all on dvd, they're briliant !

prospector
06-01-2007, 03:59 PM
Well, if you can take that Starbuck and the rest had sex transplants and are now girls.
There goes the hair on my neck again.....:thumbsdow

cresshead
06-01-2007, 04:40 PM
i'd love to take Starbuck!:lol:

Ratboy
06-01-2007, 05:22 PM
Well, if you can take that Starbuck and the rest had sex transplants and are now girls.
There goes the hair on my neck again.....:thumbsdow
True. They didn't use the unicorns or space cowboys with metal hats either.

cresshead
06-01-2007, 05:32 PM
if you prefer the old one it's out there on dvd!...i like the new one mind ya...gritty, harsh and much more involving to watch.

LVGene
06-01-2007, 07:08 PM
Thank god that terrible series is finally dead.

Ronald D. Moore is a hack.. He should move out of Hollywood into a deep hole in the ground.

Oh and I hate kitty cats to.

GENE

LVGene
06-01-2007, 07:10 PM
It's fantastic.. Best Sci-Fi Drama ever made.. IMHO...

All BSG was.. was a bad soap opera. To compare it to the first series is a crime.

JMHO.

GENE

Amurrell
06-01-2007, 09:24 PM
Will go down as one of the best series ever.

djlithium
06-01-2007, 09:56 PM
It's going to go down in flames as the best series that could have been.
Have fun this season making up excusses for the poor fx quality on the show inhouse LA VFX group!
You deserve it!

byte_fx
06-02-2007, 12:40 AM
Didn't like either the old or new Starbuck.

However the new Boomer is a major improvement.

Best sci-fi series ever? Very debatable and very dependant on each viewers viewpoint - what they anticipate, what the series delivers, and so on.

Valid arguments can be made for several.

BSG is/was one of Sci-Fi channels longest running series - most only last one season.

Anyone remember 'The Chronicle'? Dialogue in first episode took pot shots at just about everything but subsequent episodes quickly became boring clones of uninspired drudgery.

Edward James Olmos. Good actor, possibly even great. But a scriptwriter once told me she liked him because he could stretch three lines into five minutes of on-screen time. Made the writers' jobs a bit easier because they didn't have to come up with very much dialogue. His role in BSG reinforced that impression.

My favorite Olmos role? Gaff in 'Blade Runner'. Not much dialogue or many scenes but he didn't need much of either to define Gaf's complex character. Olmos conveyed more of Gaf's complex persona in a three second shot without dialogue than most actors do in their entire career.

In one way I'm kind of glad BSG will be going off the air as it means the boxed set (hopefully with a dvd or two of extra content) for the entire series will be available sooner.

byte_fx

Kuzey
06-02-2007, 03:28 AM
Oh....Now I get it now, Starbuck is the guy from the first show with that silly grin that makes you want to deck him everytime. I never did make the connection until all the sex change talk :D

I just finished season two and so far it's pretty good, can be slow at times but what can you do. So I expect they finally make it to earth only to find the Cylons have beat them to the punch :hey:

It seems there will be a spinoff tv series called "Caprica" :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caprica_%28TV_series%29

Kuzey

Qexit
06-02-2007, 03:32 AM
I have to say this is the best news I've heard in months. I personally think this version of BSG is the most over-rated Sci-fi series ever made. Full of 1 dimensional characters, a plot that makes watching paint set seem exciting in comparison, really annoying use of home video style camera work, zero character development and no real sense of direction. Farcical attempts at being controversial with its routine use of torture at every opportunity and terrorist storylines. Constant use of foul language (was there a contest running to see who could use the word 'frack' the greatest number of times in a single sentence ?) accompanied by long silences and everone looking like they need a bath isn't gritty and realistic it just shows a lack of imagination. Sorry.

Early attempts at confronting realistic problems for this sort of fleet, i.e. supplying it with food, water, fuel, weapons and spare parts, were quickly forgotten.

Some of the effects were good...but boy did they get repetitive. The fleet jumping and raptors and vipers whizzing around can only be done so many times before you lose interest.

Personally, I hope the final episode has the Cyclons finally seeing sense and completely wiping out the remains of the BSG version of humanity which they should have done during the first season :D

Qexit
06-02-2007, 03:34 AM
It seems there will be a spinoff tv series called "Caprica" :

KuzeyI think that got the axe a while back. So hopefully, Season 4 will bring the whole horrible mess to a final conclusion :thumbsup:

Kuzey
06-02-2007, 03:46 AM
So that idea came and went...oh well :D

But how can you not like Boomer and Number Six, one's sexy and the other freaky :thumbsup:

Kuzey

KillMe
06-02-2007, 03:58 AM
However the new Boomer is a major improvement.

couldn't agree more - new Boomer is HOT!!!

as for the rest - dont know so much about the story but the effects are a new benchmark for all sci fi shows - anyone care to remember the ressurection ship battle - i dont think i've ever seen a space battle that cool before or since - be it tv or film - absolutly awesome

Qexit
06-02-2007, 04:10 AM
But how can you not like Boomer and Number Six, one's sexy and the other freaky :thumbsup:Fair point. However, seeing Boomer always reminds me of Hoshi in Star Trek: Enterprise. Now she was sexy :D

And as far as Number Six is concerned, that name always triggers the automatic response:

I am not a number....I'm a free man !

Nice outfits she almost wears though :thumbsup:

jin choung
06-02-2007, 04:47 AM
i loved the series and i'm glad they're ending it.

the whole series seemed to be headed pretty strong to a certain destination (in terms of narrative) and i personally couldn't see it being sustained for very long without it all getting watered down and overstaying its welcome.

also, it makes getting the entire series in dvd an endeavor that will not require me to put up collateral. (yay, and i already have up to season 2.5!)

jin

jin choung
06-02-2007, 05:01 AM
oh, as for best sci-fi show ever.... dunno yet.

HIGH POINTS:

the shows with the "evil versions" of themselves was fing awesome (will refrain from spoilering it for the uninitiated).

also, the explanation for why the tech is not as high tech was handled beautifully and is not left hanging out there as a loose thread that was necessitated by budget but is inexplicable in the diegesis.

loved the abrupt temporal ellipsis! wow, that's some narrative bravura right there!

rescue from the planet was fing awesome! and finally we have tactics that take into account the problematic fact that capital ships are NOT aerodynamic!

loved the newtonian physics (albeit "lite" version) employed by the spacecraft.

the departure from original that humanity created the cylons. that humanity created its own doom is such a resonant detail. sure it's old as heck and goes back to probably the icarus story. and it reminds me of the matrix, saberhagen's berserkers (actually, this would have also been neat, if it wasn't humanity but some alien civilization and we got to find out who they were throughout the show), dick's screamers, terminator, etc. but still, it's the gift that keeps on giving.

three words: tricia motherfing helfer.

LOW POINTS:

hated when the asian chick and the dude were running around on that planet. eck... every time they jumped to that subplot i wanted to tune out.

no robotic teddy bear like in the old show.

they didn't do the "space fold" for hyperspace. that would've been such a cool idea that builds on the notion of folding space/time for ftl....

ship designs for "modern fighters" and cylons. ick.... smacks of lightwave in a very bad and legacy filled way.

cylon soldiers. ick. especially their hands. blah and ick.

jin

lots
06-02-2007, 12:01 PM
BSG is/was one of Sci-Fi channels longest running series - most only last one season.

True it did last a good while, it's got nothing on StarGate SG-1 which is ending on its 10th season (in terms of longevity :P, I think the longest running scifi show? I read that somewhere..).

zapper1998
06-02-2007, 12:20 PM
BIG BUMMER, big time...

cresshead
06-02-2007, 12:27 PM
i think BSG, starship troopers roughnecks and babylon 5 are my top 3 shows...and ALL employ lightwave..how cool is that?

..i'll tell ya...pretty frakking cool.:thumbsup:

Qexit
06-02-2007, 01:48 PM
True it did last a good while, it's got nothing on StarGate SG-1 which is ending on its 10th season (in terms of longevity :P, I think the longest running scifi show? I read that somewhere..).This was covered a while back in another thread. Until very recently, The Twilight Zone was the longest running Sci-fi series on TV but it is now Dr Who by about 1 month (unless or until The Twilight Zone makes yet another come back of course) and counting...though it could also be argued that the Quatermass TV series beat the pair of them :D

Dr Who is still my all-time favourite TV Sci-fi series bar none :thumbsup:

T-Light
06-02-2007, 02:59 PM
LVGene -

Thank god that terrible series is finally dead...
Oh and I hate kitty cats to.
Well as kitty Cats RULE around here your pretty much dead in the water young fella.

However, I will omit to the occasional soapy moments in BSG, otherwise it is the best SCI-FI out there (only partialy including Dr Who S3 which is rather spectacular IMHO).

Each to there own.

The fact that BSG actually has an end in site is rather fantastic and proves that the guys and gals involved are comitted. Unlike the peeps involved in such star performers as 'Firefly' and 'Odyssey 5' which for some unfathomable reason bit the dust.

toby
06-02-2007, 05:21 PM
BSG certainly has the most realistic characters of almost any sci-fi show, and also some of the best set lighting, film quality and camera work (even if you exclude the shaky-cam moments) I've ever seen on TV.

The FX may not be 'the best we've ever seen', but they're clearly the best effects on TV. Personally I think they're just there to support the setting, if the fx were lame it would still be a good show.

T-Light
06-02-2007, 05:55 PM
Toby -

The FX may not be 'the best we've ever seen',...
The effects in season 3 on the planet "were" the best I've ever seen (craft shots flying over head), so, how do you mean, they were completely realistic?

djlithium
06-02-2007, 06:11 PM
There will be no spin off. That's a long dead project now. And thank goodness. The script was terrible as was the concept.

djlithium
06-02-2007, 06:13 PM
Toby -

The effects in season 3 on the planet "were" the best I've ever seen (craft shots flying over head), so, how do you mean, they were completely realistic?
It could have been a lot better with a lot less hassle.
Here is an already seen example of what the Centurians should have looked like consistantly in episode 311.

Look at the file names for a shocker!
http://www.battlestarvfx.com/images/BSG_311_82x11_KellyTest.jpg

http://www.battlestarvfx.com/images/BSG_311_82x11_WhatAired.jpg

toby
06-02-2007, 06:29 PM
Toby -

Haven't made it to season 3 yet, but I'm saying that there are better FX than Galactica in movies, but not on TV. As djlithium will tell you, the cg that's composited onto live-action plates leaves a lot to be desired. The Cylon robots' animation has always been horrible - but I sure as he|| can't think of any tv show with better overall effects.

Oh wait, I can see how that would confuse - when I said 'realistic characters' I was talking about the actors, not the cg. They're more like real people than almost any other sci-fi show imho.

jin choung
06-02-2007, 07:09 PM
opener for season 3 is throbbingly good!

you're in for a treat!

jin

toby
06-02-2007, 07:19 PM
hard to top the opener for season 2 :) can't wait :bday:

Red_Oddity
06-03-2007, 10:45 AM
I love the show, yes it has it's weak episodes, but so far i really enjoy it.
Some of the effect work (espacially in Season 3) is terribly bad, really, even for tv series (the Kelly centurion test shot was one that made me go 'who the hell composited this terrible shot' when it aired)

Still, i'm glad they end the series properly, rather than most series that are succesfull get watered down and then end a season on a cliffhanger and then just get axed, leaving so many questions un answered.

Too bad it ends so soon already, i thought they planned on 5 seasons, but hey, as long as they end the series well, i'll go for 4 seasons.

E-ronin
06-03-2007, 02:12 PM
One of my favorite shows ever, sad to see it ending after next season.
Season 3 finale was great.

lots
06-03-2007, 10:20 PM
This was covered a while back in another thread. Until very recently, The Twilight Zone was the longest running Sci-fi series on TV but it is now Dr Who by about 1 month (unless or until The Twilight Zone makes yet another come back of course) and counting...though it could also be argued that the Quatermass TV series beat the pair of them :D

Dr Who is still my all-time favourite TV Sci-fi series bar none :thumbsup:
For all I know the article could have been talking about longest running consecutive shows.. as in back to back seasons *shrug* oh well :) I have no idea how long either of the other two have been going :)

I should maybe watch some BSG...

djlithium
06-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I love the show, yes it has it's weak episodes, but so far i really enjoy it.
Some of the effect work (espacially in Season 3) is terribly bad, really, even for tv series (the Kelly centurion test shot was one that made me go 'who the hell composited this terrible shot' when it aired)

Still, i'm glad they end the series properly, rather than most series that are succesfull get watered down and then end a season on a cliffhanger and then just get axed, leaving so many questions un answered.

Too bad it ends so soon already, i thought they planned on 5 seasons, but hey, as long as they end the series well, i'll go for 4 seasons.

That's just the tip of the iceberg frankly. I am no longer with the show, so I can only imagine how goofy its going to get now. All the wrong people got called back. Only brownnosers and willing slaves.
So **** em. I tried, I cared too much, and I got **** canned. So **** em.

Red_Oddity
06-04-2007, 01:47 AM
Wow, makes me wonder what the heck happened on the BSG production? I hear so much complaints from all around from people who worked on this show (here, other 3d forums, even the Fusion mailing list)

jin choung
06-05-2007, 01:35 AM
season 1 was pretty fing awesome. i wasn't sure i was gonna be into the series... didn't know if it could continue as strongly as the miniseries left it... but bam, right from the gitgo, they just grab ya by the throat.

but yah, season 3 opener... fing... awesome.

jin

mattclary
06-05-2007, 08:08 AM
I watched the miniseries but don't think I ever watched the show at all. Just really didn't do much for me.

Bytehawk
06-05-2007, 10:43 AM
they just started showing the miniseries here in Belgium

jin choung
06-05-2007, 10:42 PM
ooops, my previous post was a complete non-sequitor... what i meant to say was that the season 1 OPENER, the first episode was awesome....

and yay for belgium! the land of chocolate and cats wearing lime rinds (water melon?) on their heads for some reason!

jin

dwburman
07-25-2008, 12:24 AM
I saw the miniseries (the whole 2 parts of it) and the first 3 episodes of the series or so, but it didn't hook me.

I did like the miniseries.

Maybe someday I'll watch it on disc or legal download :)

geothefaust
07-25-2008, 12:43 AM
It's a great show. One of my favourites even. Feeling pretty eager to finally see the last episodes.

cresshead
07-25-2008, 12:49 AM
i love this show, scores 10/10 for me..great story, great characters..serise 1 and 2 were fantastic...serise 3 was good but not as good as the others on the whole....the court room thing for me let the season down abit..other than that was great.

looking forward to seeing season 4 on dvd

oh btw i ONLY watch shows on dvd now...can't stand the adverts and waiting each week for a new show...sooner wait and whatch the whole lot together.

zapper1998
07-25-2008, 02:49 AM
looking forward to seeing season 4 on dvd
oh btw i ONLY watch shows on dvd now...can't stand the adverts and waiting each week for a new show...sooner wait and whatch the whole lot together.

I second that, I hate those Blasted Commercials
every 5 to 6 minutes, that last 3 to 4 minutes ick

BSG rules :thumbsup::thumbsup:

SP00
07-25-2008, 09:56 AM
I thought the mini series movie was incredible, best thing I have seen in a while. First episode of season 1 had my heart racing and the rest of Season 1 was great. Season 2 was also pretty good with an incredible ending. Season 3 was a huge let down. I was very disappointed that they jumped of the planet so soon after they arrived. They should have kept everyone on the planet with the Cylon occupation fighting a small resisitance group. This would have been more interesting than the whole love triangle and internal politics. The whole thing came off cheesy to me. This is what happens when they go cheap. Season 4 is on the right track and I hope they give it the proper ending the show deserves.

Jim_C
07-25-2008, 11:29 AM
I could care less about some crappy fx now and then. I could care less about drama drama drama behind the scenes. I could care less about sourpuss whiners hoping people no longer enjoy the show because they were fired.

The show is fantastic and will go down as some fo the best writing ever.

cresshead
07-25-2008, 11:43 AM
who was fired?

shrox
07-25-2008, 01:25 PM
...It seems there will be a spinoff tv series called "Caprica" :

Kuzey

Funny, they forgot a major part of the story, The Cylons weren't human like at all in the beginning, they were shiny chrome robots.

Titus
07-25-2008, 02:13 PM
who was fired?

Don't know, the only "negative" or less positive comment is #31.

Talc
07-25-2008, 06:44 PM
What i want to know is why didn't they land on 80's earth? I expected to see the statue of liberty with one of the cast saying "The fools the've blown themselves up" & a chimp on a horse come riding over the horizon.

Cool SciFi but lost is better:devil:

rcr62
07-25-2008, 10:08 PM
http://www.syfyportal.com/news425204.html

um, doesn't sound like Caprica is dead yet.

Stooch
07-26-2008, 11:44 AM
definitelly my favorite scifi series. Definitelly love the space effects, really makes lw shine. Definitelly hate all cylon shots. its disgusting. eww. how can such great CG be mixed with such bad cg? the modeling ont he cylons is atrocious, the animation the compositing. everything. each time there is a cylon in an episode, it ruins that episode for me. completely kicks me in the nutts and kills it. oh well. seriously they have these detailed space ships with all this realistic little mechanical pieces and then they have cybernetic walking enitities that have as much complexity as a toaster...

cant wait to see how it all ends up though. i have the two first seasons on dvd.

Titus
07-26-2008, 08:49 PM
I've the first three seasons and I'm waiting the fourth to be aired sometime this year.

KevinL
07-26-2008, 09:02 PM
I am going to have to officially retire from 3D. It appears that a passionate love for BSG is a requirement. I don't have it! :(
For me it was just a another space opera. I also found the overly earnest characters to be tiring (I could just imagine looking at the script mark ups: pregnant pause, long meaningful looks all around). And the camera shake added to the exteriors just feels over applied.

Not saying it's bad, just didn't do anything for me. I like plenty of shows that others would rightly berate me for even mentioning (including some typical pap sitcoms :) )

I obviously have no taste, so ignore me. I did try to watch (did the little catch up marathon to get up to speed) and I just lost interest.

Wav' On,
Kevin L. :D