PDA

View Full Version : RenderFarms

asmind
06-01-2007, 04:59 AM
Higuys,

Anyone know of any good Render Rarm software?

Just heard of Deadline which we are checking.

Would like one which can handle Quad Processors.

Thnaks guys.

asmind

Extent
06-01-2007, 08:49 PM
I've been playing with Deadline recently and I like it a lot. I like how many engines it supports, particularly Combustion, which I use. Most recent version supports Fprime rendering out of the box.

The UI is one of the nicer ones I've seen IMO, but it still suffers from function overload (right click menus spanning 2/3 of the screen) Having to manually refresh the screen is kind of annoying (even adding a new job to the que doesn't set off a screen refresh). Lots of paths and options are hard-coded too, which may or may not cause you problems with your deployment (render slave must run in c:\Deadline, process priorities are all hard-coded)

If you're looking for free and simple LightNet is still available. It's outdated (LW6 era) and LW only, but the important parts still work.

Spider is also free now, but I haven't used it any.

Some other ones on the market are ButterflyNetRender, Tequila Scream, Smedge, Matador, Muster, and Rush. I haven't had any more than a casual look at some of these though, so I can't offer any opinions on them.

Taking advantage of a quad core is a function of LWSN so it dosen't matter which farm manager you choose, the Lightwave renderer will use all of the processors in each node.

Bushmsn
06-13-2007, 01:58 PM
I love mule for the easy set up.

BloodQuest
06-23-2007, 01:51 AM
Go for Butterfly Net Render.

It's well-supported and extendable/customisable.

They have a range of versions starting at $45, with a pay-the-difference upgrade path.

Simon

Stingslang
06-27-2007, 08:38 PM
does this software basically just distribute the rendering? does it do anything else?

BloodQuest
06-28-2007, 12:19 AM
Not sure quite what you mean?

It manages the render queue, checks for dropped frames, etc...

Or am I missing the point of your question?

Simon