PDA

View Full Version : Quicktime and FireFox - Constant Crashes

Matt
05-31-2007, 06:40 PM
Can anyone explain why this keeps happening? Some QT movies are okay, others not. Internet Explorer has issues with the same movies, but it doesn't crash unlike FireFox, which bombs everytime.

Is it web designer setting up the page incorrectly, FireFox or Quicktime? Can I do anything about it?

Have to say, QT of late has been unstable as hell, outside of browsers too. If I try and update using the option inside the QT player, boom! Crash, everytime, although if I use Apple Software Update everything is fine.

Matt
05-31-2007, 06:42 PM
'quicktimeh264.qtx' seems to be the offending module, clearly a bad Apple!

Silkrooster
05-31-2007, 09:29 PM
I have been having a similar issue of qt movies crashing IE7. I did some checking around and from what I gathered the problem has to do with the google toolbar. Or some of the features of the bar, I disabled page ranking and most but not all of the crashing has stopped.
I don't really want to uninstall the bar, because I love the spell checker. Oh how I wish IE would come with one. I don't know why it doesn't, most of Office does and outlook express does.
Oh well enough rambling, lol.
Silk

RTSchramm
05-31-2007, 09:59 PM
Are you guys using Windows XP Profession 64 bit? If you are, then most likely the QuickTime plug in is trying to perform some type of operation that is ok for the 32 bit windows, but not ok for the 64 bit version of windows. 64 Bit windows is a lot more strict than the 32 bit version.

I am having the same problem which started when I upgraded to the latest version of QuickTime.

To work around this problem, you can save the movie to your computer and then play from there.

The reason why sometime QuickTime works and sometimes it doesn't is the way the web site configures it video streaming. There are many different way a QuickTime movie can be streamed through your browser. Some methods will create an exception or fault on a 64 bit window system.

I hope this helps. Also there is a new version of Firefox: version 2.0.0.4. You might want to update to this version and then try accessing a QuickTime movie from a video site.

Can you post a link to a QuickTime movie that is crashing your Firefox so that I can try to duplicate your problem?

Rich

tektonik
05-31-2007, 10:53 PM
????

there is no quicktime in win xp64...

that 's why me now thinks that quicktime suketh... time to move on ...

Silkrooster
05-31-2007, 11:29 PM
I am using xp pro 32-bit version. I am thinking MS broke something with the plug ins requiring them to have a certificate or something along those lines. But I don't recall when the break occurred, after I installed IE7 or after upgrading quicktime.
Silk

Matt
06-01-2007, 03:07 AM
Using XP Pro 32bit here, latest QT Pro and FireFox, I don't have the Google toolbar installed on IE either, this all started happening when I updated QT not so long ago. So I reckon the issue lies with possible changes in the QT plugin.

Go to this page and click on the 'See the Trailer' link, try the large QT one:

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

lilrayray77
06-01-2007, 04:26 AM
Yep identical problem here. The worst part is, is that once it crashes, if you try and let firefox recover the page/s it will continue to crash. I hope they get this fixed, i dont like having to right-click/download everything.

MooseDog
06-01-2007, 04:49 AM
32 bit xp pro here as well. qt 7.1.3 through firefox equals no problem :( :).

good luck in your sleuthing.

Matt
06-01-2007, 09:17 AM
I'm on QuickTrash 7.1.6.

Of course the other problem is not all websites have the right click download target option because they are within a Flash based interface.

Sil3
06-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Why do people still use QuickTime when there are alternatives for years like the FREE Gom video player or the incredible and also FREE Media Player Classic beats me....these two read ANYTHING inclusive unfinished movie downloads...

Another thing... IE ??? Firefox ???? man...Opera 4 ever :)

Jim_C
06-01-2007, 10:30 AM
I don't know about 'GOM' but Media Player Classic doesn't play anything unless you have that particular codec installed on your machine.

Matt,

I just tried with Quicktime 7.1.5, Firefox 2.0.0.4, and XPpro32. Trailer played fine.

My FFox just updated itself yesterday to this version, fwiw.

So no 'real' help from me but at least I didn't smirk at all the particular programs you choose to use... :)

Jim

Matt
06-01-2007, 10:51 AM
This has been happening since before 7.1.5, even tried uninstalling it, didn't work

Silkrooster
06-01-2007, 08:13 PM
I am also using 7.1.6
Silk

Silkrooster
06-01-2007, 08:16 PM
Why do people still use QuickTime when there are alternatives for years like the FREE Gom video player or the incredible and also FREE Media Player Classic beats me....these two read ANYTHING inclusive unfinished movie downloads...

Another thing... IE ??? Firefox ???? man...Opera 4 ever :)
Because I do not trust "free" apps very far. I only use them when I must. Normally there is a catch to being free and you pay for it later.
Silk

djlithium
06-01-2007, 08:56 PM
You can get QT to work under 64bit but you need to use the stand alone installer and not the itunes installer and you may need to use a version 7.01 installer vs the newer generations. Once thats complete though you should be okay for the most part. QT sucks. I can't stand it. Only reason most people in VFX use it is because its "avid friendly" and you can step through frames one at a time. VLC and a few others support this with many different formats and file types so there is really no reason to use QT any more if you don't want to.

IMI
06-01-2007, 08:56 PM
I like the VLC Media Player for QT movies. Obviously it plays .mov, but .mpeg and .avi as well.
Since I accidentally discovered it, I won't use the QT Player ever again.
http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

I don't know if there's a browser plugin for it or not, but aside from Flash movies, I don't allow other formats to play through IE or FF.

Red_Oddity
06-03-2007, 10:49 AM
This has happened to me aswell, and that was because i updated my nVidia drivers to 158.xx.
My old 9x.xx drivers don't seem to have this problem.

RTSchramm
06-17-2007, 11:44 AM
I think I found a workaround when running QuickTime on Windows XP 64 Pro. Open up the QuickTime and select the Edit menu and then the preferences option. Select the QuickTime preferences option. Goto the advance tab. In the Video option select "Safe Mode (GDI only). Accept the change and you should now be able to watch Quicklime videos using Firefox.

Since I have done this I haven't had a crash when viewing a Quicklime movie through Firefox.

Rich.

Matt
06-17-2007, 11:57 AM
You only need to disable directdraw acceleration to get it to work.

RTSchramm
06-17-2007, 12:28 PM
Thanks, I'll try that.

Rich

RTSchramm
06-17-2007, 12:30 PM
It worked as you said.

Thanks once again.

Rich

druitre
06-19-2007, 02:44 PM
Only reason most people in VFX use it is because its "avid friendly" and you can step through frames one at a time. VLC and a few others support this with many different formats and file types so there is really no reason to use QT any more if you don't want to.

Do you mean you can get VLC to step through frames? I've never been able to do this, it's my nr one gripe with avis and why I actually prefer quicktime. Years and years back mediaplayer used to be able to play frame-by-frame but that has long since gone and never come back. If you could tell me how to do this in VLC (which I love for all other purposes) I'd be very thankful!

lots
06-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Because I do not trust "free" apps very far. I only use them when I must. Normally there is a catch to being free and you pay for it later.
Silk
As far as OpenSource software goes, its usually quite good and functionally competitive with more costly solutions :) That and you can see what you get...

I mean, you use Firefox and/or Opera right :P

VLC is a good alternative player.

As for quicktime, its never been particularly good in Windows. Always kinda buggy and "Crashy." Ah, I guess I shouldn't trust this free app either eh? ;)

It works for the most part in firefox on 64bit Windows for me. Only a few pages cause crashes, and it crashes IE firefox and Opera equally well. So it must be a problem with QT + 64bit WIndows.

Silkrooster
07-16-2007, 11:32 PM
I mean, you use Firefox and/or Opera right :P
Not really I use IE7. I do have Firefox and Netscape installed to verify my website works ok for those who wish to use those programs.

As for quicktime, its never been particularly good in Windows. Always kinda buggy and "Crashy." Ah, I guess I shouldn't trust this free app either eh?

Actually I paid for the pro version. I may have fixed the crashing issue in IE7 though, Disabling all 3rd party toolbars seams to have taken care of the issue. Also Flash and quicktime plugins still work. I would have thought MS would have included a check box to disable all plugins not just the toolbars. Oh well.
Silk

Silkrooster
07-17-2007, 10:13 PM
If anyone is interested, I went through the add ons 1 by 1 in IE 7 and I narrowed down the crash to Norton's confidential browser helper object.
Edit: Whether this object effects firefox as well I do not know.
Silk