PDA

View Full Version : Radiosity settings for animation

jthompson3d
05-31-2007, 10:25 AM
Can anyone point me to some settings for radiosity that would be good for animation. I can get some nice looks without animation but once you move bad bad idea, it goes crazy.

Been trying the new LW 9.2 radiosity Final Gather, and have had no luck so far for animation purposes. Help please.:help:

jameswillmott
05-31-2007, 10:38 AM
You'll need Caching and Interpolated turned on, only have the Camera move, and render on just one computer.

jthompson3d
05-31-2007, 10:43 AM
I have those turned on but still getting the bad splouches in the animation.

jameswillmott
05-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Do the splotches move/flicker or are they fixed?

tektonik
05-31-2007, 07:24 PM
i have no patience with interpolate...

use final gather with not much samples like 12
rad bounces of 5
get ray recursion limit down to about 6-8
get antialias to at least 15

(and last but not least with 9.2.......) get screamernet working and fire away!

i am about to render 3-4 minutes of archviz using this and i have access to about 20 dualcores and a few quads (hapiness)

pixym
05-31-2007, 07:36 PM
... i am about to render 3-4 minutes of archviz using this and i have access to about 20 dualcores and a few quads (hapiness)

You are really a very happy man with so much CPU power under your hands ;)
BTW: I will give your settings a go...

MooseDog
05-31-2007, 08:51 PM
jthompson3d: are you having problems with splotches or flickering? there's different ways, and setting tweaks, to attack each problem.

chk out the tutorials here: http://www.lightwiki.com/Tutorial_ideas for some ideas. good stuff there :)

jthompson3d
06-01-2007, 09:49 AM
jthompson3d: are you having problems with splotches or flickering? there's different ways, and setting tweaks, to attack each problem.

chk out the tutorials here: http://www.lightwiki.com/Tutorial_ideas for some ideas. good stuff there :)

I'm having problems with splotches moving. I did some more test and got a great setting now for animation.
Settings I used:

Final Gather
Cache Radiosity---checked
Interpolated---checked

Intensity: 500%
RPE: 500
Indiredt Bounce: 2
Tolerance: .5
MES: 1'
MPS: 3.0

These setting after doing many tests seem to fix all the problems I was having and it is onlu taking around 7 mintues a frame.

BUT if anyone has any better settings please feel free to let me know.
I'm doing a mass area, architectual animations.

MooseDog
06-01-2007, 10:50 AM
what's better for me may not be better for you:) (due to no two scenes being the same), but i've had success with roughly your settings, tweaked thus:

Final Gather
Cache Radiosity---checked
Interpolated---checked

Intensity: 500% (just to note, probably the most subjective setting imho)
RPE: 75 (but with an occlusion shader on my surfaces for better contact "shadows")
Indirect Bounce: 2
Tolerance: 0
MES: 2-3'
MPS: 1-2

coupled with these aa settings:

adaptive sampling---checked
threshold: .02 (this seems to take care of noise/splotches nicely)

it is more complicated than before as rad and aa work very closely together in pursuit of quality and speed.