PDA

View Full Version : Relativity2...what is can do?

alifx
05-31-2007, 10:07 AM
Hi...

any tutorials... any examples... anything we can see and learn?

I see that Relativity is a deserted tool in Lightwave!

I don't know exactly what Relativity can do other than what mentioned in LW Help, does it help in complex rigs and TD stuff?

or it's useless?

Phil
05-31-2007, 10:41 AM
Relativity is not a deserted tool. Check register.newtek.com for Relativity content and documentation. The example scenes are best suited to 9.0 rather than 9.2 due to issues with the legacy scene support in 9.2, causing broken hierarchies in older scenes. 9.0 should load them just fine.

I've asked NewTek several times if I can post the old HTML documentation for Relativity, but without success. I'll try again because I found the HTML documentation much easier to work with than any PDF docs I have ever used.

alifx
05-31-2007, 10:54 AM
hey thanks Phil, I didn't know about it

UnCommonGrafx
05-31-2007, 03:09 PM
Deserted only by NewTek and the deal made with Prem. It is still a formidable tool in the LW arsenal, though, and imho, should have been the expression system we had to begin with. But that's old news as it now is the one we have on top of all the others.

Prems docs were very very helpful to learning the tool. Unsure why their reticence to allow posting. Mayhaps because of the tm info within... supposition (sp?) on my part...

Phil
06-01-2007, 02:29 AM
As mentioned, I gave NewTek another nudge yesterday. I sent them the HTML docs and they should appear on register.newtek.com soon-ish. I could probably mail them to people directly, though, since NewTek's statement makes them the owner and therefore copyright confusion is cleared up.

Altogether they make a 1.6 MB ZIP file.... Hmmm. Could even stick them up as an attachment.....

For what it is worth, Relativity is not deserted by NewTek either. I am expecting that Prem's lack of responsiveness to any method of contact is to blame. I've not been able to get a word out of him in 10 months.

alifx
06-01-2007, 04:46 AM
that's cool
thanks for your effort

:)

UnCommonGrafx
06-01-2007, 07:18 PM
Ya know,
I shall recant that they aren't showing Relativity love and attention as they obviously are. I'm just happy that's it's native now.

Celshader
06-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Hi...

any tutorials... any examples... anything we can see..?

In the 9.2 "sneak peek" video (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/videos.php) there's a Relativity-enhanced spider skittering forwards and rearing up, then reversing. After rigging the spider with Relativity, that animation took a whopping two or three minutes to create. Relativity played back a hand-keyed walk cycle in relation to the spider's oriented distance movement. The "rearing-up" animation gets layered on top.

I can't say much more about that project, but I absolutely adore Relativity.

alifx
06-04-2007, 06:28 AM
Ya know,
I shall recant that they aren't showing Relativity love and attention as they obviously are. I'm just happy that's it's native now.

I've just tried it on some simple things, and I become to like it as much I use it more.

:thumbsup:

alifx
06-04-2007, 06:33 AM
In the 9.2 "sneak peek" video (http://www.newtek.com/lightwave/videos.php) there's a Relativity-enhanced spider skittering forwards and rearing up, then reversing. After rigging the spider with Relativity, that animation took a whopping two or three minutes to create. Relativity played back a hand-keyed walk cycle in relation to the spider's oriented distance movement. The "rearing-up" animation gets layered on top.

I can't say much more about that project, but I absolutely adore Relativity.

I saw that spider animation but didn't knew that they used Relativity !

very nice
thanks for the info Celshader :)