PDA

View Full Version : Tablet recommendations?

Phil
05-31-2007, 06:51 AM
I'm unable to find a store in Dresden that stocks tablets, so find myself in the unenviable position of having to consider buying based on recommendations rather than hands-on experimentation.... Only Amazon seem to carry anything useful.

A quick trawl of Google didn't turn up a comparison review of tablets, either. I'm mulling ZBrush and would also be wanting to use it with the likes of ArtRage. So....what would represent the best value for money at this point in time?

Are there any 'gotcha's or complete lemons that I should be aware of? Any questions that I should be asking, but am not aware of?

Target platform would be OS X on a MBP, with occasional use under Windows XP (via BootCamp).

UnCommonGrafx
05-31-2007, 07:36 AM
Wacom.

Size is up to you. If you are a classically trained artist, bigger is better; if you have limited space on your desktop, smaller would fit the bill.

3DWorld had a comparson a while back; might be worth your time to look at their site to see if the article is online.

ingo
05-31-2007, 07:54 AM
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24138

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39755

sammael
05-31-2007, 07:58 AM
I have a Wacom 6 x 9' intuos 2, its great, nice & solid and made in Japan. Best computer addition I ever bought, I have never had a problem with it after 4 years of usage.
The intuos 3 series has increased pressure sensitivity, I would go for one of those. Wacom is realy the only way to go tablet wise from what I have heard.

steamthunk
05-31-2007, 08:09 AM
My general (early) opinion on using Wacom tablet. I model with a tablet exclusively now. I'm 4th post from end.
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51753&page=2&highlight=tablet

Sarford
05-31-2007, 06:28 PM
Wacom is the way to go, they make the best and most durable tablets. I still have my trusty Intuos 2 A5 tablet. I took it all over the place during the years I was freelancing and I never ever had any problem or mallfunction with it what so ever and I still use it almost every day.

Be aware though.... there is a difference between the Graphite and Intuos series of the wacom tablets. The sensitivity of the Graphites is half of that of the Intuos (half the number of steps). Normaly this doesn't matter much, but a experienced Intuos user can note the difference while working. So if you have the money, go for Intuos.

starprog
05-31-2007, 06:31 PM
I have to agree, I use wacom at home and at work, older versions though. I heard the newer versions are even better.

denders
05-31-2007, 06:41 PM
I can not make any recommendations, but 3DWorld #91 (grasshopper on the cover) had their comments on 3 Wacoms, a Trust, and a Genius tablets.

musick
05-31-2007, 07:55 PM
The wacoms i have used have been really nice, I myself have a cheap store branded thing which does the job tho. Id love to have a nice large one which would be the way to go if your used to working from paper sketch pads.

Speedmonk42
05-31-2007, 09:18 PM
I just bought the wide aspect Wacom, it is great.

If you use a wide aspect monitor, then it is a no brainer, it is the only one to get.

meathead
05-31-2007, 09:45 PM
Wacom Intuos 3!

I have the 6" x 8" at home, and the unwieldly 12' x 19' at work-DONT BUY THE BIGGEST ONE! I hate using the 12x19. Takes up too much desk space and takes forever to move around the screen. Save the money. the smaller ones work just as well-same resolution, data rate and accuracy.

Andyjaggy
05-31-2007, 09:57 PM
I just bought my wacom about an hour ago :) am using it right now. It was super wierd for the first ten minutes but I am realy liking it now. It will rock when I get my copy of zbrush.

KorbenD
06-01-2007, 07:11 AM
I used an Aiptek 9x12" tablet for a few weeks before switching to a Wacom Intuos3 9x12". With the Aiptek, if I had the tablet too close to a CRT monitor, the RF interference would cause the pointer to jump around on the screen.

The Wacom is far more sensitive, precise, and doesn't require batteries for the stylus or mouse like the Aiptek does.

So yet another vote for Wacom from me.

Sensei
06-02-2007, 08:47 PM
I am wondering why nobody mentioned Wacom's Cintiq http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/index.cfm.. Nobody have it? I would like to hear how well they work, before spending $2.5k..

VTA
06-02-2007, 08:54 PM
I am wondering why nobody mentioned Wacom's Cintiq http://www.wacom.com/cintiq/index.cfm.. Nobody have it? I would like to hear how well they work, before spending $2.5k..

:)
That's why noone has it. Pretty damned heavy on the wallet.
But like everyone else, Wacom seems to hold sway, I have a newer one at work and a 7 year old one at home that still works. Can't beat what works.

Sensei
06-03-2007, 12:18 AM
:)
That's why noone has it. Pretty damned heavy on the wallet.

I don't get it.. I am constantly hearing "I earned $10k this week" from 3d making people.. So what is the problem buying such the most useful thing in the 2d/3d world thing for 1/4 of week earned money? When there is something that will allow me making money faster I am getting it straight away.. Additionally it's quite big 22" LCD monitor.. So you don't have to buy one together with this tablet..

Bytehawk
06-03-2007, 12:49 AM
I tried the citinq, not for me.
problem is : you hand gets in the way, you can't see through your hand.

For drawing it's superb. For modeling, general computing and lightwave : no
I'll stay with my intuos3.

MrTinkertrain
06-03-2007, 01:30 AM
Wacom Intuos 3 is what I have, I really wouldn't buy anything but wacom they are just that great, maybe if you're not going to use it that much in photoshop or any other painting program, the graphire series should do the job too, they are cheaper, with a downscale in features like sensitive, tilt, among other stuff...

byte_fx
06-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Wacom.

Intuos vs. Centig is your choice.

I use Intuos 3.

Don't know why but I've read comments from Centiq users that they prefer the Intuos. Didn't seem to be anything more than personal preference as both are very nice.

Others prefer the Centiq.

Might it be possible to find some people in your area that are using either or both?

Ztreem
06-03-2007, 11:37 AM
Wacom is the way to go. I have a tabletPC it's the same technology behind it as cintiq but with a little smaller screen and not as much sensitivity levels, it's far better than an ordinary tablet for sketching and painting and for displacment painting, but for 3D in general I prefer a ordinary wacom tablet. I have two ordinary Wacom tablets as well and they are priceless.

Bytehawk
06-03-2007, 11:39 AM
Wacom is the way to go. I have a tabletPC it's the same technology behind it as cintiq but with a little smaller screen and not as much sensitivity levels, it's far better than an ordinary tablet for sketching and painting and for displacment painting, but for 3D in general I prefer a ordinary wacom tablet. I have two ordinary Wacom tablets as well and they are priceless.

we seem to have the same taste :)

I even bought one for my regular job as I couldn't bear working with a mouse anymore.

Ztreem
06-03-2007, 11:49 AM
we seem to have the same taste :)

I even bought one for my regular job as I couldn't bear working with a mouse anymore.

It seems so, I see you also have a tablePC. :thumbsup:

rdolishny
06-04-2007, 09:32 PM
I only edit video with Avid/FCP and a tablet but have to admit modelling with a tablet is a little strange. Navigating around an object, dunno, it just lacked the panche that the alt+drag or CTRL+drag offers.

For LW I regret I use a mouse and that's the only time I use a mouse. Otherwise tablet for me.

Maybe table support has improved since v6.5 (my most recent version until the amazing 9.2). I have upgraded and it's on it's way.

- R