PDA

View Full Version : Golden Compass

Iain
05-31-2007, 04:25 AM
It's funny-I'm such a huge fan of the His Dark Materials books, I almost didn't want to watch this but it does look good!!

http://www.goldencompassmovie.com/

Tom Wood
05-31-2007, 06:05 AM
Looks like they spent for the effects, I just hope they don't wimp out and not tell the story that's in the book.

Iain
05-31-2007, 07:32 AM
That's my big fear. As imaginitive as the worlds are in the book, you don't really linger on them much as you're so engrossed in the beautiful storytelling.

Tom Wood
05-31-2007, 07:40 AM
Well, I'm more concerned that they skip the parts about 'the church'. When this movie was announced a few years back, the US was in revival mode and it was generally assumed the filmmakers would sanitize it. With the pendulum swinging the other way, this movie series -could- be out at the front edge in the popular culture.

Iain
05-31-2007, 07:46 AM
I'm not sure how that will work. In the end, I wasn't sure if Pullman was even trying to make any point on the church subject.
He was called a god hater by someone who hadn't even read the books but ultimately, and by his own admission, he was just spinning a yarn.

newsvixen8
05-31-2007, 09:19 AM
And a brilliant yarn, too! Although I was initially afraid for the fate of my beloved Tolkien books when it was first announced they were to be put on screen, my fears proved unfounded. I'm hoping this will be the same. But the point is well made, that the religious implications may ruffle some feathers, intentionally or not. At any rate, the trailer is breathtakingly beautiful.

Iain
05-31-2007, 09:27 AM
At any rate, the trailer is breathtakingly beautiful.

And don't the cast look perfect?
I thought someone more physically imposing than Daniel Craig would have been better but then I thought that about his Bond casting too and he pulled that off.

Twisted_Pixel
05-31-2007, 09:39 AM
Very impressive trailer.
Admittedly, I haven't come across the book yet. Will be on my list of things to look at though.

Dexter2999
05-31-2007, 11:42 AM
Two books. Very good stuff.

I was a little worried when I didn't much of the daemons in the trailer.

Took the test for mine at the website, glad I didn't get a lame one. Then again I wonder if there are any lame ones?

mattclary
05-31-2007, 12:12 PM
Well, I'm more concerned that they skip the parts about 'the church'. When this movie was announced a few years back, the US was in revival mode and it was generally assumed the filmmakers would sanitize it. With the pendulum swinging the other way, this movie series -could- be out at the front edge in the popular culture.

I hope we aren't going to have to rehash all the discussions that occured when Narnia came out. :thumbsdow

newsvixen8
05-31-2007, 02:35 PM
I'm afraid those discussions will be unavoidable if the series goes to all three books. By the last one, "The Amber Spyglass," there's a full-scale battle for power between the angels as God is close to death. Try to keep the theologians out of that one!

Tom Wood
05-31-2007, 03:20 PM
I hope we aren't going to have to rehash all the discussions that occured when Narnia came out. :thumbsdow

Dang, I missed that discussion.

:D

PS: It sucked.

Iain
06-01-2007, 02:29 AM
I'm afraid those discussions will be unavoidable if the series goes to all three books. By the last one, "The Amber Spyglass," there's a full-scale battle for power between the angels as God is close to death. Try to keep the theologians out of that one!

Careful newsvixen8-there's no plot spoiler warning in the thread title.

hrgiger
06-01-2007, 06:31 AM
Everytime I see that polar bear, I can't help but think that Coca-Cola is trying to get me to buy one of their products.

BeeVee
06-01-2007, 06:35 AM
So's you all know, there's a whole bunch of LightWave work going into those films too...

B

BeeVee
06-01-2007, 06:43 AM
Just watched the trailer and while I can see Eva Green as Serafina Pekkala, I'm not so sure about Nicole Kidman and Mrs. Coulter or Daniel Craig as Lord Asriel... having said that this series has got me very excited if it's anywhere near the books at all...

B

MooseDog
06-01-2007, 08:11 AM
So's you all know, there's a whole bunch of LightWave work going into those films too...

B

looking forward to reading about that. very cool! hopefully it will get some good magazine placement with some meaty "making of" stuff (unlike the spidey3 article in the latest hdri mag).

the trailer was just gorgeous, unbelievable.

i'm pissed tho :devil: : my daemon was a mouse. an effing mouse:devil: totally lame:D

Iain
06-01-2007, 08:21 AM
It really annoys me that it's called The Golden Compass as the book was released as Northern Lights first and changed for the American audience.

It took me a while to realise that's what the posters were for.

gerry_g
06-01-2007, 08:27 AM
Didn't any of you think the CG a little too clean looking (no grime or grunge), looked cleaner than the Star Wars universe and that takes some beating.

BeeVee
06-01-2007, 08:45 AM
And worse still, an alethiometer isn't a compass and the compass title referred to the drawing instrument, not the navigational one when "The Golden Compasses" was going to be the title of the trilogy originally!

B