PDA

View Full Version : Problem: Lights reflections "pump" as camera moves in a scene in LW 8.5.

TuukkaS
05-31-2007, 01:54 AM
Hey guys!

Im currently doing a music video scene on LW 8.5.
Everything is shaping up great, but I ran into a nasty problem as I was doing some test rends..

Theres some box-like objects in the scene like guitar cabinets and such, as you know when light hits these kind of objects the edges facing the lights are more lit than the rest of the object.
The problem is, that when i move the camera in the scene, the glow on the objects edges pumps like crazy. So in the final animation I see a lot of flickering in the lit parts of the objects. When I scroll through the frames, the edge is normally lit in every 4 frames or so, so it kinda darkens for a couple of frames and then lights up again... and the pace of the flickering seems directly related to the speed of the camera movement.

Any ideas if some of my settings are funky or something?
Resolution didn't seem to have an effect...
I havent got ray traces on, and just the preset camera with 1024x576 resolution...(used a bit of antialiasing too).

Share your wisdom mates!
Thanks in advance!

-T-

Extent
05-31-2007, 02:43 AM
could you be over smoothing the surface? You can get weird artifacting if your smoothing angle is too big on flat surfaces of an object.

TuukkaS
05-31-2007, 03:20 AM
Hey mate and thanks for the reply..

I don't think its the smoothing that is the problem..
It happens on the 90ish degree edges of the objects that are subpatched...

I cut out a part of 5 frames where this occurs just to illustrate my problem..
Check out the attachements... You can see how the light flickers on the edge of the guitar cabinets...

-T-

Extent
05-31-2007, 03:32 AM
Well judging from just flipping through those in my browser I'd say you're getting aliasing. Try turning up your AA passes, and maybe turn off Adaptive Sampling.

TuukkaS
05-31-2007, 04:18 AM
Ok mate I'll try that..
Thanks again!

-T-