PDA

View Full Version : Unable to order via email ?? (RANT)

byte_fx
05-30-2007, 06:04 PM
So finally I get someone at NewTek to answer my email about upgrading to 9.0

Total, complete, utter waste of time.

After a few emails in which the salesman persistently - to the point of annoyance - insisted on having my phone number so we could 'talk' about the order.

All the info needed - current license info, address, shipping info, etc. had already been provided. Several times.

Finally I asked what more we needed to talk about.

Sales weenie's response - it's against policy to accept orders via email.

When the heck did this become policy?

And why?

Seems to me like NewTek's main competition is their own sales force.

This is a prime example of why I have a policy of not talking to sakesmen.

A Disgusted LightWave User

lots
05-31-2007, 01:23 AM
So you're comfortable sending your Credit card info over email?

They probably don't accept over email because its not always a secure transaction that NT can control.

byte_fx
05-31-2007, 01:58 AM
Negatory.

I NEVER send ANY financial info of ANY type over the net.

Sometimes mail in a check but more often a money order as they tend to clear faster.

He kept trying to get my phone number so he could call me but wouldn't give me his so I could call him.

Not that I would have as there was no reason to - he already had all the info he needed. All he had to do was give me the total cost includung shipping and a P.O. number.

That's all that was needed to complete the sale.

I thought maybe he wanted to try some sales piuch on me - maybe buying the upgrade with printed manuals.

Or maybe try to sell me SpedEdit Pro (not going to happen - Newtek [probably the same guy] ignored my order for that so I bought Studio Pro 2 instead)

Wonder if Apple gave NewTek a sales commission for that.

Anyway - I can think of no reason why NewTek or any company in the same situation would want a customer's phone number that doesn't involve possible invasion of privacy.

NewTek's sales and customer service recoed has always been a bit erratic but it seemed to be improving.

Until now.

Very Likely To Stay Disgruntled

pnelson
05-31-2007, 03:25 PM
I'm sorry that the upgrade process was inconvenient. I'm going to check with the sales team to see what happened. Richard, our west coast sales rep, is a good guy. In fact he is one of the most knowledgeable production guys on the NewTek sales team.. We stole him away from Clear Channel where he was News Operations Manager for WOAI.

I know that we can't ship orders without a phone number because it's required by UPS.

Please send me an email [email protected] on how you would like to proceed.

Talk to you soon,

mattclary
05-31-2007, 04:11 PM
byte_fx, was there a reason you didn't just order from the web?

byte_fx
05-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Now that's even stranger.

I have received four seperate shipments delivered this week by UPS and two deivered by FedEx.

NONE of those accounts have my phone number.

But if you want a phone number try this ... 0 (000) 000-0000.

That's the only one I'll ever give out.

And - quiet frankly - at this point I really don't give a hoot about upgrading. It's just been too ridiculous a process.

It would be nice to have the faster GI render times of 9.2 and material nodes .... but not neccessary.

Starting with 8.0 I worked out a way to basically simulate what nodes and materials do.

As for rendering - I'd been planning on adding a couple of eight core Mac Pros anyway so what the heck - might as well do it now. Just keep on throwing more cores to LW render nodes.

Won't be able to run LW native on Intel Macs but I do have several never used XP install disks and Boot Camp.

Far as ordering over the web - credit card only at check out time. As previosly noted I don't send any financial info over the net.

Even the best av software takes a couple of days to catch up with new exploits. And sometimes more than a month. That's how long it took both McAfee and Symantec to acknowlege one I found about 18 months ago.

Plus there have been a numbner instances where a company's data base - including customer data - was breached.

I'm sure Richard is a great guy and all but apparently running LW upgrades stop at 8.5 for me.

Far as I am concerned the matter is closed.

mattclary
06-01-2007, 06:48 AM
Far as ordering over the web - credit card only at check out time. As previosly noted I don't send any financial info over the net.

Even the best av software takes a couple of days to catch up with new exploits. And sometimes more than a month. That's how long it took both McAfee and Symantec to acknowlege one I found about 18 months ago.

Plus there have been a numbner instances where a company's data base - including customer data - was breached.

I'm sure Richard is a great guy and all but apparently running LW upgrades stop at 8.5 for me.

OK man, now you are bordering on paranoia. Should you use your credit card at AllOfMP3.com? No. Here at NewTek, I think you are pretty darn safe. You are paralyzing yourself with fear needlessly. Are you really going to spend the rest of your life NOT buying anything off the internet? The thought gives me chills! I have spent in excess of $15k at Newegg.com alone over the last several years.

Kuzey
06-01-2007, 07:22 AM
That's the first time I heard someone trying to order through email :D

I guess you could always drop in to a reseller and order it from there but I'm sure they would ask for a phone number too.

Best of luck,

Kuzey

colkai
06-01-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm surprised he's prepared to give out a delivery address! ;) :p

iconoclasty
06-01-2007, 09:00 AM
Just send Newtek a traveler's check via messenger pigeon and they'll hide your upgrade under some leaves in a local park for you to retrieve under cover of night.

byte_fx
06-01-2007, 09:17 AM
As I said - I consider the matter closed.

I won't be upgrading.

No great loss to me.

I still consider the matter closed.

If someone else wants to waste their time posting here it's their choice.

mattclary
06-01-2007, 05:53 PM
As I said - I consider the matter closed.

I won't be upgrading.

No great loss to me.

I still consider the matter closed.

If someone else wants to waste their time posting here it's their choice.

So you will just stick with 8.x for the rest of your life? If you switch apps, you will also be faced with the same hurdles of companies trying to force you to use modern technolgy.

Sorry, man, had some time to kill. ;)

byte_fx
06-01-2007, 11:44 PM
"So you will just stick with 8.x for the rest of your life?"

Maybe. I used 4.x until 7.x came out. 5x and 6x were not very good or stable.

"If you switch apps, you will also be faced with the same hurdles of companies trying to force you to use modern technolgy."

Agree partly - companies will continue to attempt to invade privacy.

Modern technology is not always good for people. It is increasingly 'good' for companies and governments though.

I have long had an extrememly low tolerance for salesmen, politicians and b.s. (all too often these are closely linked) and the last three weeks made it even lower.

I have spent those weeks fighting off numerous unsolicited calls and emails from sales types. All of which originated from one source that passed my info around.

But that's getting off subject - which often happens at forums.

Anyway - when I saw 'give me your phone number so I can call you' in an email message that was it. The evasive answers when I asked what else we might need to talk about didn't help.

Didn't matter who or where it came from.

And - hey - I'm just killing time too while setting up and burning in my new eight core Mac Pro.

byte_fx

Chuck
06-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Folks, there are in fact perfectly reasonable reasons why folks may have a preference for particular ways of communicating business, and there are also safe and appropriate means of transaction to fit any approach. There is no need or use to giving someone a difficult time about their preferences, and certainly no validity to not giving folks credit for having the good sense to know what means will fit their preferences.

There have been some misunderstandings in this situation, and I hope we can work through those, and I apologize on behalf of NewTek for our part in the misunderstandings.

This thread has, in the meantime, served its purpose, and will be closed.