PDA

View Full Version : Can you connect nodes between Displacement and surface node editors?

Sondar9
05-30-2007, 09:44 AM
I'm not sure if this is possible, but I'm trying to use the same procedurals in both the displacement node editor and in the surface node editor. I know I can save from one and load into the other, but I may as well use layers if I have to do that. I've been poking around the node editors and looking in the manuals, but I haven't been able to find anything. Has anybody been able to do this?

jameswillmott
05-30-2007, 09:51 AM
You can displace from within the Surface Node Editor ( along point normals ) so you can 'reuse' a single procedural for both displacement and surfacing...

Sondar9
05-30-2007, 09:58 AM
Thanks James I'll give that a try!
Rich

BTW, I bought your dvd from Kurv. I just started to go through it.
Is this covered on that dvd?

Dodgy
05-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Just remember to Object Properties>Deform>Enable Bump and set it to some non zero value for the displacement to show.

Sondar9
05-30-2007, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the reply dodgy.

james,
are you talking about plugging a texture output node into a bump input and turning on bump displacement, or is there another technique? plugging it into the displacement input in the surface editor doesn't do anything, even if bump displacement is turned on with a nonzero value applied.
Rich

Sondar9
05-30-2007, 01:22 PM
not sure what happened, but I quit and started over and it works.
Thanks for all the help!

Rich

jameswillmott
05-30-2007, 05:23 PM
Thanks James I'll give that a try!
Rich

BTW, I bought your dvd from Kurv. I just started to go through it.
Is this covered on that dvd?

No, I don't cover displacements in that one.