PDA

View Full Version : Impact type animation

rdolishny
05-30-2007, 08:12 AM
I'm not really a newby but not sure about the development of Lightwave after going away for a few years.

With version 6.5 I used a plugin called Impact for some physically-based animation that required automation (balls accurately dropping, that sort of thing). I still use it today, but I'm looking at upgrading to 9.

Has the ability to, say, drop a ball and have it bounce around been incorporated into LW9 or will I need a 3d party app. If I need something more, does anyone have any suggestions?

- Rick

alifx
05-30-2007, 08:46 AM
I don't know what exactly you mean, but that can be with dynamics

or I think you mean something like this plugin
called KeyForce
it's free
http://www.pauzapictures.com/lightbox/index.php?pageId=119&start=0

rdolishny
05-30-2007, 08:52 AM
Well, what I mean is the dynamics, if that's the right word, would handle the animation of the ball bouncing for me. In my case I have hundreds of balls. I create the balls, and create gravity, some wind sometimes, and let it figure the animation out!

rdolishny
05-30-2007, 08:54 AM
> or I think you mean something like this plugin
called KeyForce
it's free

No. That's not what I'm after.

Red_Oddity
05-30-2007, 08:56 AM
LW does have its native Hard and SOft body dynamics system, it's not that good, but it does work for simple stuff.
Or you could try the LW compile of the ODE (just search the forum)

rdolishny
05-30-2007, 09:40 AM
OK that ODE looks like what I'm after. Really simple interface compared to Impact, I understand what it's doing.

So, this animation below is NOT really possible in stock Lightwave?

http://www.kevinmacphail.com/resources/table_box_collide.mov

Red_Oddity
05-30-2007, 09:49 AM
Well, that is perfectly doable with the native hard body engine.

Dodgy
05-30-2007, 09:50 AM
You can do that and a lot more. People round here are quite down on LW's dynamics, but they are capable of a lot more than a lot of people think.

rdolishny
05-30-2007, 10:05 AM
> Well, that is perfectly doable with the native hard body engine.

Interesting. I don't want to do LOTR here just some things knocking things down. (c:

I can't find any examples of this on the Newtek site (ie animations). I'm curious to see the good and the bad. The shakeyness when something comes to a rest is always a problem with lesser engines, something Impact handled quite well. Any sample vis please?

Thanks Dodgy & Red_Oddity.