PDA

View Full Version : Saquatch question!!

Samus
05-30-2007, 06:53 AM
Hi all ,

yesterday i rendered a teddy bear with fur and in the close ups i noticed
Flickering in the fur. The only thing i could think of is the self shadowing
is not good.

so here is the gig: i got 3 lights where two are distant lights with no shadows.
one is a Raytraced spotlight.

sasquatch: Recieve LW shadow , cast shadows & self shadowing on
and my shadowmap resolution in sasquatch is at 6000
my shading quality is at 35% .

Has anyone experience such a problem?

Sam

pooby
05-30-2007, 06:56 AM
Put the shading quality up. I seem to remember that solving flickering. (and also adding lots of render time)

Samus
05-30-2007, 07:02 AM
Thanks Pooby!!

an other method is to kill the selfshadowing but the fur seems
to saturate so i lower the " remaining light strength" in Sas.

Dodgy
05-30-2007, 07:16 AM
Something else you can do, as long as your fur isn't too long is bake your object's suface to an image map for each frame using the Surface baker, and then use that sequence as the colour map on your sas settings. You can then exclude your sas object from all lighting and it'll render super fast with all the LW shadowing, importing each frame as it does so. You don't even have to render the sequence before the sas pass, as surface baker will save the current frame before sas imports in each frame. I used this method to get render times down from 2 mins to 20 secs a frame..

Samus
05-30-2007, 07:25 AM
WHAHAAAAAATTT!!!!!!!!??????

I understood the first part of your explanation but then :

"You don't even have to render the sequence before the sas pass, as surface baker will save the current frame before sas imports in each frame. I used this method to get render times down from 2 mins to 20 secs a frame.."

i did not copy that ??? System error.... cannot compute!!

Can you re-explain PLEASE cause that could save my day!!

Thanks!!

Samus
05-30-2007, 07:27 AM
Never tryed but does the surface baking Camera in 9.x can render a sequence ??

Thanks ... ill check!!

Samus
05-30-2007, 07:44 AM
Works like a charm !! Now a last one ... sasquatch will read the baked sequence Right.

hehehe Thank's guys .

Sam :) Happy me !!!

Dodgy
05-30-2007, 10:01 AM
Umm, thinking about it, I think you had to have enough images to be able to load the images as a sequence lasting the anim, but for that you could just render a 1x1 pixel sequence in LW of the right length. Set surfaceBaker to use that file name, so each frame it renders to that image, and set it to 256x256 or whatever's reasonable for your object. Load the images into LW as an image sequence, and in Sas, set the Mapping>image to the image sequence. Render.

For each frame, Surface baker will bake an image for that surface, save it to the file, which Sas will then read in and use for the Mapping image.

With shading/colours of the object being baked, this means Sas will have fur which is shaded without having to use the complex shading calculations...

Samus
05-30-2007, 10:11 AM
Hmm... I just rendered a test sequence with the baking Camera, ill just
use it as a sequence on the teddy bear and get SAS to read it as a Fur mapping.

Thanks a lot Pooby & Dodgy for your tips .