PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen or using this?

Mr Maze
05-29-2007, 04:10 PM
I thought this was interesting, just wondering if anyone has seen or is using this. It looked pricey but possibly could make a great companion for creating textures...

http://www.filterforge.com/

hyperfx
05-29-2007, 04:33 PM
Haven't seen it myself but it looks great...thanks! Sort of reminds me of Genetica from Spiral Graphics..
http://www.spiralgraphics.biz/

ftown
05-29-2007, 04:53 PM
works great, and if you create some killer node plugins, you can get the plugin for free. bumps and specs and normal maps all work as expected. thats what you get with a $300.00 plugin

Sarford
05-29-2007, 05:36 PM
This looks absolutly amazing! If this is all procedural, this could also be build inside LightWave. Imagine that, making procedural textures wich generate their own normal maps, bump maps etc.

I guess with some tinkering you can make some serious complex textures already...

ftown
05-29-2007, 07:21 PM
I was thinking the same thing when I checked out the demo, having LW's nodes create all the maps at the same time would be awesome. And also send all the buffer data to After Effects • Photoshop CS3 in one click to make compositing seamless.

Mr Maze
05-29-2007, 07:38 PM
I was drooling on a few key points: Seamless textures (obviously), resolution independence, node based editor, floating point file formats...

Not only does it make use of HDRI lighting techniques but you could use stuff in this to make true HDRI lighting based on the floating point files you output with it.

I'm definitely gonna give this a go...

hyperfx
05-29-2007, 10:16 PM
I just downloaded the demo and have been transfixed for the last hour or so... Lost in the world of nodes..... :D

Mr Maze
05-30-2007, 09:31 AM
Well that sucks. Right now its windows only. I'm gonna have to wait for the Mac version (they say its in the works...). Maybe I can convince my boss to let me put it on my workstation at work...

aquinde
05-30-2007, 03:47 PM
It's a very interesting app. Easily got some great results from it. The preset sharing system is great. It's pricey though. I won't be buying it unless I REALLY need it.

Sarford
05-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Hmmm... been fooling around in the node editor and got some nice results. Ill post them friday. What I mean is, I think the node editor in LW is just as powerfull.

GregMalick
05-30-2007, 07:00 PM
Does this work with any version of Photoshop or only the CS versions?

Sarford
05-30-2007, 07:16 PM
Here is my first go at procedural wood using only the build in tools of the LW node editor. I'm not very good at it so I don't know how to make a normal map for the bump, but you can come a long way with wat we already got.

I also made some kind of Alien skin, based on the example of the Filter Forge site, ill post that friday.