PDA

View Full Version : Offset Tool

Andyjaggy
05-29-2007, 12:26 PM
I feel stupid asking this but is there an offset tool hidden anywhere in Lightwave? what I need is something that will scale geometry up or down but scale it a uniform distance from each side. Does that make sense? I might need to post a screenshot to show you what I mean. Kind of like what replicate does but without screwing up your straight lines and geometry.

I have always done it by hand but am getting sick of wasting time doing it.

0scrooge0
05-29-2007, 12:56 PM
The scale tool maybe ?

druitre
05-29-2007, 01:04 PM
You mean something like how you offset your cat? Seems scaled a uniform distance from each side ;)

Move along normals (it's in Ikeda's tools) does this in many cases. It doesn't have a numeric entryfield though, which is a pity.

hrgiger
05-29-2007, 01:46 PM
LWCAD has an offset tool but I'd have to check but I think it's just for it's NURBS curves.

Matt
05-29-2007, 04:14 PM
Depends if you mean 2D polys or a 3D model.

If 3D then you could use Smoothshift / Multishift / Thickener (third party, but free plugin)

For 2D, as hrgiger pointed out, LWCAD has tools to do this, but you'll need to switch from polys to LWCAD Nurbs (there's a command to do this in the pack) and then back to polys again.

I think I'm correct in that the next update to LWCAD will have some of these useful 2D tools working on straight polys.

But there are a number of tools like this missing from LWM's toolset.

Just checked Flay, can't see any freebie plugins to do this, come on community, sort it out! ;)

Matt
05-29-2007, 04:24 PM
For 2D you could also try the bevel tool, or Mutlishift (has been trying stuff in Modeler!) Be nice to have a proper offset tool though!

Matt
05-29-2007, 04:29 PM
Actually, Mutishift isn't too bad a tool actually! Even works with curves! Although it changes the original curve and adds frozen poly version, but still, if you're in a tight spot!

Andyjaggy
05-29-2007, 08:02 PM
Actually you know what multishift is exactly what I was looking for :) I haven't ever touched it because in the last version of Lightwave I got an error every time I tried to use it. Glad to see its there and working properly, it will save me lots of time. Thanks guys.

Matt
05-30-2007, 05:37 AM
Top one nice one get sorted!

:)

Andyjaggy
05-30-2007, 06:59 AM
As most lightwave tools though it seems to be pretty picky about how and when it wants to work. It might take a while to figure out its quirks.

Matt
05-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Try messing with the Inset / Shift contour types.

Andyjaggy
05-30-2007, 03:05 PM
Yeah it actually seems like a really powerful tool.

colkai
05-31-2007, 01:34 AM
Don't forget ReSize - that may help in this sort of thing, especially as you can control the point of scale for the object.

http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2196