PDA

View Full Version : Is point oven the only way?

ece3k
05-29-2007, 08:23 AM
I saw a recent Modo movie that showed animation exported from LW as MDD files. I know how to save those from the motion designer (cloth) panel, but how do I save MDD files on skeletal motion (deformation). Is point oven the only way (is it even the best way?)?
Thanks,
Erik
[email protected]

SplineGod
05-29-2007, 12:51 PM
You do it the same way you mentioned. Apply clothfx and scan the object or use mdscan.

vadermanchild
05-29-2007, 04:42 PM
point oven is nice cause it can export multiple object mdds at once.

I dont know if md scan can do that - I recall md scan being a two step process for each object - set it up - run scan then click scan again to save the mdd out.

Not a big pain but tedious over multiple objects.

If theres a way of md sacan outputting more than one at thesame time Id love to know as I dont have PO licenses on all pcs.

Red_Oddity
05-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Yes, MD scan takes getting used to.
And no, it doesn't do multiple object MDD writing at once, as the convoluted way MDScan works prevents it (you actually have to open up the properties of MDScan on each object after scanning to write out an actual MDD file)

SplineGod
05-31-2007, 12:03 AM
Its pretty easy to scan an object and save the mdd file using clothfx.

t4d
05-31-2007, 01:05 AM
yeah your don;t need Point oven for mdd's at all
Point oven is mainly for the other side Maya Max etc
Avid purchase point oven and XSI read's and writes the same Mdd as LW. as well as the higher standard Pointoven format.

Messiah was totally depended on point oven for awhile there ( the Messiah hub connect to LW was VERY buggy )
but now in Version 2.4 it also exports mdd as a standard format

so you can now read write Mdd's in LW, Messiah and XSI without issues
and work in any app any which way you like.

when modo 301 is released it will read and write mdd's also. but I think it will also read pointoven format which is alittle more advanced then mdd ram wise.

so current you only need to buy point oven if you own Max or Maya
OR want to use the more advance pointoven format.

Sil3
06-01-2007, 10:02 AM
PO is superior than to just simply use the MDD reader for Lw, at least it was in LW 8.5..try this:

- Animate something in other package and make an .mdd out of it (with PO or not)

- Import it into LW and if you have PO use it to read the .mdd file

- Place the animated item anywhere you want and press play.

If you are using PO it will stay and animate based on the place you put it, if you use the regular LW .mdd reader the object will jump to the 0,0,0 even if you parent it to a Null and move that Null.

This is IMO a serious limitation to be aware...

Now..this happened in Lw 8.5 and 7 whatever, maybe its fixed in Lw 9.2 wich i dont havent tested this.

SplineGod
06-01-2007, 08:21 PM
You can move the mdscanned item anywhere you want and even have bones, morphs and other displacements effect the mesh. You have have the keymode set to ON. :)

Cageman
06-02-2007, 12:13 AM
You can move the mdscanned item anywhere you want and even have bones, morphs and other displacements effect the mesh. You have have the keymode set to ON. :)

Exactly! :)

vadermanchild
06-02-2007, 01:48 AM
I thought md plug had to be set to last and could not be set to AFTER MOTION which meant displacements were a problem without PO?

thats IIRC...?

Sil3
06-04-2007, 04:22 AM

Nice to know whenever i need to send another .mdd' s to client's that dont have PO, thanks :)

SplineGod
06-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I thought md plug had to be set to last and could not be set to AFTER MOTION which meant displacements were a problem without PO?

thats IIRC...?

DP Toolkit has some mdd nodes that allow you to do this.
http://perso.orange.fr/dpont/Lscript_Plugin_Development_en.htm