PDA

View Full Version : Hard To Do…

sirius156
05-29-2007, 06:24 AM
im searching for a way to make an animated displacement with squares…like this…
thx for any help…

Skonk
05-29-2007, 06:38 AM
I cant remember the exact details but i remember someone wanting to do simalar things and the way to do it revolved around weight maps. Beyond that i sadly cant remember but maybe it will ring a bell with someone else.

sirius156
05-29-2007, 06:45 AM
and someone send me a scene that was exactly the thing i wanted but i made modification s on it and then erase while i saved so…:(
do not have the original scene with set up…
thx any way…do you sometimes works in france??

Sarford
05-29-2007, 07:04 AM
hmmm, shouldn't this be do-able with just an image of different colored squares?

Another way could be to make a grid of seperate quads, very close together. Extend all the quads and move them to the apropreate height. Make a new Morph, then set the y-value of all the extended quads to zero. And there you have it, now you can animate it with a morph slider. :) This way you don't have to subdivide and you keep your polycount a lot lower.

jameswillmott
05-29-2007, 07:20 AM
Make a single square/cube centred on the origin. Now make a morph target that collapses that square so all vertices are at 0,0,0. Apply that morph to the base square so all you're left with is a point. Duplicate it into a grid based on the original size of the square. Send to Layout. Apply a displacement in the Y Axis, then apply the morph at -100% to expand all the squares back to their original size.

The displacement moves the points all equally, then the morph is applied to bring the squares out to their original size. I used this technique for the attached image.

The neat thing is that you can texture each block a single colour with procedurals because the original points are all equally positioned and thus the value of the procedural at that position is spread across the entire block. The attached image was coloured with a gradient on turbulence, and displaced with Ripples.

StereoMike
05-29-2007, 07:21 AM
huh? You mean that scene from this thread?
http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45533&highlight=x-men+tutorial
Just ask Colkai or Red oddity again (don't know which one you you the desired file) via PM.

mike

sirius156
05-29-2007, 07:26 AM
Thx

eyelandarts
05-29-2007, 12:39 PM
oh yeah, I did a tut on this a while back.
http://www.eyelandarts.com/tut/pinarrays.html

sorry, its rather outdated but should still work.

ShawnStovall
05-29-2007, 01:57 PM
Maybe you could use an animated displacement map?

Red_Oddity
05-30-2007, 02:28 AM
If you give me a couple of hours, i'll post a tutorial.

Red_Oddity
05-30-2007, 04:24 AM
http://www.houseofsecrets.nl/downloads/griddisplacement.html

This is not a very good tutorial, but it shows the basics of a good working method, and mind you it can be done in 10 other ways, just rememer that the UV creation part is always the most importent one as you need to create a UV that catches any pixel blending behaviour by having a small as possible UV use per cube.

Bog
05-30-2007, 09:54 AM
I've just had a thought on this.

If you use Layout Clone (http://www.hermoni.com/main.htm), then you should be able to use Texture Displacement as a Motion modifier to animate your cuboids.

Hope that helps.

sirius156
05-31-2007, 09:25 AM
COOL SORRY WAS THERE…cOOL i go and check…
ill tell you

sirius156
05-31-2007, 09:35 AM
Thanx A Lot, do you think there a way to make it react with musiq:hey:

Bog
05-31-2007, 10:52 AM
For TexturedMotion's texture amplitude, click the E button to bring up the Graph Editor. In the Modifiers tab at the bottom, add Audio Channel Scale. This should let you bring in an audio file, and let you use that to bounce your displacement level.

sirius156
06-01-2007, 01:00 AM
OH REALLY… COOL I GO AND TRY
tutorial is really impressive because its really "wellmaid" sorry im french…
;)

sirius156
06-01-2007, 01:58 AM
sounds sucks im lightwave every is geting really longer and longer

colkai
06-01-2007, 02:28 AM
T'was a magazine article that did the whole XMEN city thing using blocks.
Lemme see if I can locate the scene for y'all :D

Bog
06-01-2007, 02:46 AM
sounds sucks im lightwave every is geting really longer and longer

Wow. I honestly have no idea what this sentence means apart from "I'm not happy with Lightwave's sound handling"!

Erm. What did you mean, sirius?

colkai
06-01-2007, 02:46 AM
Found it, was an old NTekPro article.
Chose RAR format because it's a LOT smaller than the resulting ZIP file.