PDA

View Full Version : Clean poly plugin?

hyperfx
05-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Hi there,

I was wondering if there is a "clean poly plugin" out there. I'm currently working on a project where I need to do alot of rounding and keep a clean poly flow, no tris. But as you can see in the example below, after rounding edges I'm left with lots of "> 4 side polys...", and I don't want to use the triple poly tool. I could manually go around and turn them into quad polys but the time involed is not worth it. Any suggestion would be great!! Thanks!

hrgiger
05-28-2007, 06:56 PM
Are you turning this into a subpatch model? Because otherwise, there's nothing wrong with having >4 point polygons.

LWCAD has a make Quad command but it does not give the cleanest of results. I'm sure there are other plug-ins that will also make quads for you but I would just do the old reliable and delete your >4 polys and then rebuild your polygons by selecting 4 point polygons in turn and making your polygons manually (p).

hyperfx
05-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks for reply!

No subpatches...The problem is that the client would like to see the wire frame in the final renders..so I thought it would be nice to have quad polys. I thought about deleting and rebuilding the >4 polys but as there is alot of modeling it would take ages to complete...and I don't own LWCAD but will get it sometime... Any other suggestions...or plugins you might know of?
Cheers

hyperfx
05-28-2007, 07:18 PM
Thanks for reply!

No subpatches...The problem is that the client would like to see the wire frame in the final renders..so I thought it would be nice to have quad polys. I thought about deleting and rebuilding the >4 polys but as there is alot of modeling it would take ages to complete...and I don't own LWCAD but will get it sometime... Any other suggestions...or plugins you might know of?
Cheers

Dodgy
05-29-2007, 03:12 AM
TB's untriple. It even keeps discontinuous UV maps where possible.
http://home.att.ne.jp/omega/tabo/3dlabo/p_lwp.html

hyperfx
05-29-2007, 04:08 PM
Thanks Dodgy,

I downloaded TB's untriple but am unable to extract the files. It has an lzh extention. I tried to unzip in winzip but no go...says, this file has invalid headers or contains file or path names that are not supported in this version of WinZip. I'm using 11.1. Do you by any chance know how I can extract the files?

Thanks!

IMI
05-29-2007, 09:16 PM
Winrar will unzip lhz files, I'm pretty sure.
As well as zip, too.
http://www.rarlab.com/

In all ways, Winrar is far better than Winzip, IMO. It's not free, but it's not expensive, and the demo is good for 60 days, I think, before you get a nag screen.

hyperfx
05-29-2007, 10:10 PM
Thanks, worked like a charm! :thumbsup:

hyperfx
05-30-2007, 12:58 AM
Thanks Dodgy..I actually needed a plugin that will convert >4 side polys into quads...but TB's Untriple is a great plug to get anyway....Thanks. :)

In the end I decided that I will just build enough geometry in the model before I use Rounder to round edges and produce quad polys. Probably should have done this to start with.... although I was trying to avoid this cause of the defects rounder sometimes produces especialy with complex shapes as I'm sure you're well aware of!
Hope I'm making sence and thanks...
Result:

colkai
05-30-2007, 02:40 AM
When converting >4 into quads, I normally just use the bridge tool and select where I want the slicing to take place. I'll also at times triple some quads so I can 'reform' the geometry based on what I want the structure to be in order to reduce rounders 'interpretations' messing up the structure.

hyperfx
05-30-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanks for that colkai..I will try it out!